Photo stitching

Thomas

Guest Digital

One from the Summer.

LLyn Brenig.

Canon 5DMKII ISO320 1/125 sec F22. Canon EF 17-40mm L. 3 photos stitched together in Photoshop.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

i had a free software which came with my nikon coolpix, panorama maker or something.

it was good in that at each join there were 3 markers which you could position exactly, to make the join perfect.

it got a virus or something and crashed my laptop so i binned it and via another forum, i tried the miscrosoft ICE

obviouslt it's best to scan round perfectly smoothly, but i've found there are, i think 4 different 'panning' motions it can use (i.e. if you're not perfectly horizontal, or if you're looking up or down). it'll use one type automatically, but sometimes if you select one of the others, i gives a better result with less obvious joining or bending to fit. i have found as others say, that it's not too good at differences in shots, i.e. too much exposure difference or not enough overlap, but i've found it very quick and easy to use. i'd say that if you are using different angles to shoot each pic, then include plenty of 'border' so that when it combines the images, you can crop out the curved edges.

also useful, it tells you how many images have been combined, so you know if any have been left off.

pics don't have to be great quality either. one evening i saw an interesting looking cloud, took 2 pics on my nokia 6230i (1.3 MP) and combined them easily

post-1060-0-03789000-1324422521_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some lovely Panoramas Guys, I have used ICE, ArcSoft and Magix Extreme Photo6 but for ease of use ICE & ArcSoft are excellent. I took six shots leaving Rathlin Island N. Ireland and stitched them together with ArcSoft to create a backscene but I will get it printed by a Print Shop. See Panorama.post-12529-0-37312800-1329304120_thumb.jpg.

As an example, to have this printed to 48"x6" @ 300dpi set the DPI Dimentions to 14400x1800.

Use this Image Size Calculator www.tiporama.com/tools/pixels_inches.html to play about for the size to suit your requirements. Hope this is of some use.

Hugh

These are great tools - I've used them when trying to get an over all view of a layout when my wide angle is not wide enough. Some really eye catching images here!

For best results, using a longer lens than a wide angle and standing further back, which I appreciate isn't always possible, results in items in the photo being straighter - look carefully at platform edges in some of the above photos to see what I mean.

wide angle lenses curve the field of vision in order to fit everything in, a series of photos taken with a wide angle lens won't always show it, but making a panaramic from them can show up that curvature.

Tom

Brilliant bit of kit, way easier than Adobe photoshop!

Thanks

Mike

(Stitching the back scene for Little Mill Junction)

save the photos into a folder, named in order from left to right as 1.jpg, 2.jpg etc, open photoshop, tools, photostitch, sit back and relax - done. :D

Canon supplied PhotoStitch 3.2 with a recent purchase (a compact PowerShot thing), which worked well enough on a couple of scanned slides from 1984.

post-6971-0-25690000-1329336742_thumb.jpg

Rochester and Chatham from Strood in 1984, low res version.

All the land between the railway and the river (the centre ground including the gasholders to the left of the bridges) is now flattened, waiting for development into housing when someone has some money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was having a play a little earlier with some shots I did a couple of weeks ago looking across to the edge of the Staffordshire Moorlands which may be of use if anyone wants to print their own backscene. Taken here.

Staffordshire_Moorlands_Panorama_Summer_small.jpg

You can download the 5.0m x 0.5m (10.5Mb) version here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forumimages/Staffordshire_Moorlands_Panorama_Summer.jpg

I can think of a certain layout with headsticks that could use that....

I suppose for novelty value they are fine, but I try to avoid any long straight lines in mine if I'm trying to make a backscene, those curves spoil any chance of realism... I tend to take about 5 shots and then let Serif Panorama plus 1 do the work and they haven't come out too badly. I haven't suffered any ink problems as such (printing onto "bright white paper), though I do agree that getting it professionally printed improves things tenfold. Here's a view from Osoblaha NG station in the Czech Republic, the nice curved ploughed field in the foreground was cropped from the image when printing...

6832594892_4d71e2101b.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loch Linnhe last week in the Highlands - taken with my cameraphone, 5 images stitched with ICE

post-6717-0-72885500-1339494609_thumb.jpg

I did have to fiddle it where Josh is standing, not enough overlap so I had to copy/paste from one image to another to get it to work!

• RMweb Premium

a couple more using ICE

lower largo, with the disused east of fife railway viaduct. the station was where the trees are at the far end, above the black and white building (nikon coolpix 3200, 3 images)

post-1060-0-19119700-1339512268_thumb.jpg

largo bay, with largo law centre. (samsung europa phone, 3 images)

post-1060-0-01225600-1339512565_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

here is a stitched photo i did last week week from the top of dungeness lighthouse, taken with the iphone 4s, it is about 18 images in total, a full 360 degrees photo

be20f500.jpg

points of interest include the rhdr loop and the old line to dungeness station coming in from the distance to the right, the station was where the cars are parked

• RMweb Gold

couple more from me from earlier today, again taken with the iphone.

1st one is a 180 degree view from the top deck of a p&o ferry in calais (20 images) obviously difficult with people moving round

0546117c.jpg

next up, arriving in dover, only 3 images in portrait orientation this time to see how big the final picture would be as the image heavy longer panoramas are fine on the iphone or pad but once uploaded to photobucket are tiny to try and view on websites, im wondering if there is a way of saving them as big full size files and then simply putting a thumbnail up here

befaea0f.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up about ICE. This is a trial stitch using 5 mobile phone shots taken in the 'office' (Hampshire) today. Can't wait to get out and about with the proper camera.

post-6683-0-93223600-1342801029_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about ICE. This is a trial stitch using 5 mobile phone shots taken in the 'office' (Hampshire) today. Can't wait to get out and about with the proper camera.

post-6683-0-93223600-1342801029_thumb.jpg

The cloud on this are really eerie, I can just imagine a UFO appearing briefly. Nice.

• RMweb Gold

The cloud on this are really eerie, I can just imagine a UFO appearing briefly. Nice.

Speaking of eerie skies....I took this at the Truro show last August....to the naked eye it looked like a grey version of some of the swirly clouds of Jupiter!

post-6728-0-88650100-1342856372.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the olympic stadium one.

On a similar theme:

olympicpark_Panorama1V2small.jpg

stadium_Panorama1v3.jpg

Photoshop CS6 has a fantastic feature to straighten out those curved panoramas called adaptive wide angle. I've used it extensivly in the above photo. took me days to do!

villa_Panorama3_wideangle_small.jpg

Untitled_Panorama1-1.jpg

villa_Panorama2afterwideangle_small.jpg

If anyone is interested - all taken with a Canon EOS 7D and 24-105 F4L. Between 10 and 20 photos in each.

I've also got some HDR panoramas (10x9photo HDRs) but my lack of experience (and general ineptitude) working with a HDR image means I need to do quite a bit more work to get them to a standard i'm happy with. Below is an example, but you can't really tell its a HDR...

villahdr3_small.jpg

These are just superb! Care to share any more of your HDR panoramas? I am a big fan of HDR :yes:

Cheers

William

Thanks. The only one that was a HDR there was the final one - the rest are all from single raw images.

Anyway it has given me an excuse to do something i've been meaning to for a while - And that is sort my Flickr out and get the pro membership going again.

Anyway in the meantime here is a HDR taken at the olympics. it was raining which accounts for the noisy sky.

8165069101_aacde68c72_b.jpg

IMG_8990_1_2_3_5_6_8_tonemapped_final by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

And back on topic... A few more Panoramas

8165125434_3edb67dd6f_b.jpg

staduim new_Panorama1 wide angle final by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

8165107805_a1fe24a17c_b.jpg

Untitled_Panorama2 v5 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

8165154599_6747eec31a_b.jpg

base_Panorama1 v2 with person_small by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

8165107610_c09d3ac5d3_b.jpg

pool_Panorama1 V2 by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

8165096313_e6aae251ce_b.jpg