RMweb

Heavy Oil from Humber

Not sure if this has been mentioned but on Friday the 6M35 Humber to Kingsbury had 36 TEAs in tow, some 3600 tonnes. 60063 was the motive power, not bad for an old loco!

That must have been an impressive sight. icon_eek.gif

Nice train to model!

I wouldn't say the Cl.60s were particularly old locos; maybe it's just a reflection on our "throw away" society.

Owen, you will have to ask Father Christmas for another 21! biggrin.gif

Do you have any photos Beast?

Peter; Some of them are now 20 years old and I agree they are not that old, but by the way some people talk about them you would have thought so!

I do not want to start a debate, but under the original design they should have had two major overhauls by now and considering the neglect that they have been subjected to these engines do well to keep going. When you think that they go in and out of store and then get put on heavy freight it is surprising that more don??™t have serious failures.

Despite all the negative sentiment towards the 60s, perhaps we should look at how good they are to carry on under the circumstances, not sure the 66s would cope as well under the same treatment?!!

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any photos Beast?

Of course B) - the 60 on the cements made the bridge shake so much the camera fell off (on the short side and was OK!) :O :lol:

For a change I will point people to my lads fotopic.

Collection

http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/c1784234.html

http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/p62233423.html

http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/p62233435.html

http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/p62233473.html

B)

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't say the Cl.60s were particularly old locos; maybe it's just a reflection on our "throw away" society.

They simply can't be old! I can recall the Project Director wringing his hands about accepting them from Brush with known problems one Friday before a bank holiday weekend. The City was onto BR's dilemma, and had he declined to accept them, then Hawker Siddeley's share price would have taken a knock the following week......

The Project Director was, hopefully still is, a decent chap although retired a few years now. He has a model railway. Apparently over his hearth he has an original GWR Grange nameplate featuring his surname. Style!

I wonder if the new proactive regime at DBS will still consider overhauling

some 60s to get a small reliable fleet,it seems every week

one of them throws a piston or fails in another way

if I was an oil company manager I'd hold my breath

everytime a 60 was on one of my trains....

Excellent photos by Beast Jnr. Especially like 040 on the bogie tanks, they do look good on a long rake of TEAs. Must get our one out of the box and give it a run!

Hi David, Must have been hard for the fitters seeing the way that the 60s were being treated and not being able to do anything about it. Can??™t believe they are still swapping them in and out of store daily! I used to visit the Barnetby area at least once a month, but since sheds have taken over the ores I haven??™t ventured up there. You can??™t beat a 60 on the tipplers!

Rob D2, imagine what the drivers must think! icon_eek.gif Surely they must wonder if they are going to get there or not! After this trial, if they do plan to run longer trains some money will have to be spent on them as a replacement will take time to arrive on station even once ordered.

Although the 70 may well see the end of the Brush beasts.

Yeah maybe,lets hope flhh doesn't pinch back the petrol trains from

DBS on the basis that the frightliner can haul more

always wondered why they didn't send some 59s to do the heavy oil

rather than reducing the load and using sheds

Yeah maybe,lets hope flhh doesn't pinch back the petrol trains from

DBS on the basis that the freightliner can haul more.

Not sure what the loadings for the class 70 are likely to be, but given the design is more about moving freight as near to 75mph as possible, these Powerhaul locos sound like a more powerful class 66 replacement, than a sheer "gruntmobile". Don't forget, initially the publicity for Powerhaul was that it was intended to outperform pairs of class 86s on intermodals - not drag heavy oil and mineral trains around.

always wondered why they didn't send some 59s to do the heavy oil

rather than reducing the load and using sheds

It would be an option, but the benefit might be offset by the costs of driver training crews on class 59, particularly as, on paper, the class 60 is still the best loco for the job. It is really a matter of how economical management of the class 60 fleet is undertaken by it's owners.

Personally, I don't see the point in constantly switching locos on and off and storing them for weeks, months or years. It might work reasonably well in warm, temperate climates, but damp electricals and dry perished rubbers and synthetics in the UK environment are no friend of the maintenance engineer.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but on Friday the 6M35 Humber to Kingsbury had 36 TEAs in tow, some 3600 tonnes. 60063 was the motive power, not bad for an old loco!

Nice train to model!

We had a number for Tugs passing through Scunthorpe on Friday, they were on the ore to Corus too - what time was this working?

Nice train to model!

I notice that DBS have a piece in the News section of their web-page about this working, suggesting that it will become a regular 3600t train- this would indicate some hope for the 60s.

Hi James, it was during the night about 2am but I believe it runs via Lincoln.

I wondered as I saw a 60 on tanks during the day too!

Good to see them on the ores now and again. I am sure that will change come the end of the RHTT.

They were on the ore today too!

Archived