The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Printing Instructions.

Gordon A

I went to Staples to have some instructions copied, 1 page double sided A4, which had been produced on my home ink jet printer.

What I found was that the basic black and white copier could not produce the quality of copy of the original that I wanted.

The original includes a couple of photographs.

I could get the quality I wanted from the colour photocopier, but at 60 pence per double sided print, I considered the cost a bit steep!

I am only looking at approx 25 copies at a time.

Does any one know what the appoximate cost is per side of A4 set on grayscale is from a domestic inkjet printer?

Or is 60 pence for a double sided A4 set of instructions considered reasonable.

My printer is a Cannon i865.

The Staples staff were very helpful and tried their best to help.

Many thanks

Gordon A

Bristol

I calculated my OKI laser is 18p per side for colour and 8p per side mono.

Inkjet probably slightly more, but for mono, not much.

I would try a proper print & copy shop who can print in greyscale from your file. This should give you the resolution you require for more like 15p per copy.

• RMweb Premium

Stapels are taking the proverbial for that price. Although you are only looking to do 25 copies at a time it might be worth considering how frequently you will be doing this. If it's going to be 6 or more times a year it may well be worth you looking to pick up a mono laser printer.

On my HP Deskjet 940c, using recycled 42ml cartridges of Black - £5.95 and Colour £11.45 with 80gm paper at £2.50 for 500 sheets,

Then mono per side is circa 1.5p per side and colour < 3.5p per side.

The Deskjet cost me £15 off Ebay incl. p&p 4 years ago.

I admit it has never occurred to me to think of having anything like instructions, local posters, etc., with say under 50 copies done commercially.

Posters are normally laminated, 20 sheets for £1.99 at The Works

On my HP Deskjet 940c, using recycled 42ml cartridges of Black - £5.95 and Colour £11.45 with 80gm paper at £2.50 for 500 sheets,

Then mono per side is circa 1.5p per side and colour < 3.5p per side.

The Deskjet cost me £15 off Ebay incl. p&p 4 years ago.

I admit it has never occurred to me to think of having anything like instructions, local posters, etc., with say under 50 copies done commercially.

Posters are normally laminated, 20 sheets for £1.99 at The Works

I think your cost per sheet is probably a bit low, but of course it depends on coverage. I worked out my costs based on a 25% coverage as my wife used our printer for lots of photos and images.

In any case, this sounds like the way forward.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Canon MP470 and I worked out the cost at a little under 10p a sheet for colour not long ago.

The annoying thing is the cartridges, I can get recycled replacements (7dayshop/cartridge world) but because of the blasted chip on the back cannot get them to work properly, the printer just refuses to recognise them !

I think your cost per sheet is probably a bit low, but of course it depends on coverage.

Well it's based on 3 years paper and ink consumption, I do use trial/draft copies as well, but the majority of output is a monthly 60 x 10 A4 pages printed both sides and stapled into A5 format newsletter, 3 local Charity monthly minutes/newsletter - 30 copies of 4 x A4 double sided pages with photo's, and masses of railway related maps, drawing photo's etc., for various Societies I'm in.

Plus a whole different world of 1922 - 1939 Austin 7's, I'm the international Registrar for the umbrella Association and there's circa 10k cars world wide. I print photo's, workshop manual extracts etc., etc., so although I can't claim 25% ink coverage per page, there's a lot of information distributed from Penlan Towers.... Oh, and our Local Classic Car Club Monthly mag as well.

As I say above, this is based on 3 years use/cost of materials. the 42ml recycled cartridges* help a lot,

when I've had a problem, a friend's HP I've used with something like 8ml cartridges in it, you can almost see the ink level going down angry.gif

But OP is only printing off 25 copies - It depends on the printer set up, and they are cheap, it's the ink that cost's.

* Recycled cartridges - yes I've had one or two dud's, but as they are around 25% the cost of HP's and I've always got at least two spares on the shelf (min. re-order level) I've accepted the occasional dud - which the supplier replaces most of the time anyway.

Archived