Yard Shunter

RAY NORWOOD

• 3 months later...

I had Chris Nevard round back in April to take photos of Yard Shunter. Today had Mike Harris phoned my for the interview for the Model Rail Magazine, it should be in the January 2017.     

Hi Ray

Well done....

Look forward to my copy arriving in my postbox....

Cheers Bill

• 2 months later...

I have been working on a new idea of controlling Yard Shunter by using a Raspberry Pi through a WIFI router to operate Yard Shunter and Feltham Road MPD on my mobile phone and I will be taking Yard Shunter to Stafford this weekend so Richard and will be shunting with it there.

• Like 3

I have been working on a new idea of controlling Yard Shunter by using a Raspberry Pi through a WIFI router to operate Yard Shunter and Feltham Road MPD on my mobile phone and I will be taking Yard Shunter to Stafford this weekend so Richard and will be shunting with it there.

I've never had a phone Signal of any sort inside that Shed Ray, even Pete Waterman had his Mobile tied to Drain Pipe a few years back trying to get a Signal.

Mind you I don't understand why you need a Mobile Phone to Drive a Train set anyway mate.

All the best and see you Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

I've never had a phone Signal of any sort inside that Shed Ray, even Pete Waterman had his Mobile tied to Drain Pipe a few years back trying to get a Signal.

Mind you I don't understand why you need a Mobile Phone to Drive a Train set anyway mate.

All the best and see you Sunday.

It's all set up with own WiFi network connecting with a router through the Raspberry Pi (a micro computer running Linux version of JMRI) and then USB interface to the Powercab panel. Works a treat. I've got a similar arrangement on Orchard Road / Acacia Avenue and fitted into a box so portable between layouts. Then use Engine Driver app on Android phone / tablet.

When used on Acacia Avenue recently, created quite a lot of interest. Does also allow us to walk round the layout without restrictions of trailing cables.

It's all set up with own WiFi network connecting with a router through the Raspberry Pi (a micro computer running Linux version of JMRI) and then USB interface to the Powercab panel. Works a treat. I've got a similar arrangement on Orchard Road / Acacia Avenue and fitted into a box so portable between layouts. Then use Engine Driver app on Android phone / tablet.

When used on Acacia Avenue recently, created quite a lot of interest. Does also allow us to walk round the layout without restrictions of trailing cables.

Hi Richard, I'm no Techno Phobe I'm afraid, so most of what you've said above has gone way over my head. I just prefer pulling a lever and seeing a Point or Signal move, and then working the controller.

EDIT = Just one question, is there a manual back up?

I'm looking forward to seeing it all on Sunday.

Have a good Show.

Edited by Andrew P

I hope that you have a good show Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Can you get interference if too many people are running wifi routers? I want to do something like this so I may come and pester on Saturday.

Paul.

[Edit: tomorrow changed to Saturday cos I can't remember what day it is!]

Edited by 5BarVT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, I'm no Techno Phobe I'm afraid, so most of what you've said above has gone way over my head. I just prefer pulling a lever and seeing a Point or Signal move, and then working the controller.

EDIT = Just one question, is there a manual back up?

I'm looking forward to seeing it all on Sunday.

Have a good Show.

Hi Andy

Nothing wrong pulling a lever!

I think DCC operation on our exhibition layouts suits us and not necessarily better. Of course a little bit unnecessary for home layouts.

Look forward to catching up on Sunday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can you get interference if too many people are running wifi routers? I want to do something like this so I may come and pester on Saturday.

Paul.

[Edit: tomorrow changed to Saturday cos I can't remember what day it is!]

Shouldn't be an issue with interference across WiFi systems.

By all means come over for a chat.

This sound interesting, will come and have a look/chat on Saturday. I have used WiThrottle on my iPhone with JMRI on a PC but never liked the thought of having to lug a PC/Laptop around for exhibition use. The Rasberry Pi solution looks like a nice alternative.

Another Ray.

Edited by tender

• RMweb Gold

This sound interesting, will come and have a look/chat on Saturday. I have used WiThrottle on my iPhone with JMRI on a PC but never liked the thought of having to lug a PC/Laptop around for exhibition use. The Rasberry Pi solution looks like a nice alternative.

Another Ray.

The only problem we have at the moment though, is that a laptop is still required to remote login to the Raspberry Pi to start JMRI as cannot get an autostart script to work. There does appear to be a script available but not yet tried. However, Ray has ordered a (5" ?) compatible touch screen which can be plugged direct to the Raspberry Pi.

Another Ray.

Hi Ray

By all mains come have a word on Saturday. Will try to explane things with you.

Guest Digital

Hi Ray, Richard

Good to talk to you both at Stafford today.

Thanks for all the information and demo of the Raspberry Pi on the layout, all very interesting and informative.

John

Edited by Digital
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the chat today and the demo of the Pi. Apologies to any other viewers for the delay in service whilst I distracted the driver! Particularly like the track layout as it's not obvious immediately how it works. Very clever.

Paul.

Myself and Ray had a great weekend at Stafford. Many thanks to Colin and SRC for another great show.

Good to see you and chat to you both and thanks for all the information on the Raspberry Pi control........

• Like 1