Rail Express - July 2011

westie7

Heads up... Thats July's e-copy just dropped in And if you're a fan of Speedlink there are 10 pages on the later part of the Speedlink era.

Add to that 4 pages on Scottish Speedlink and some rather nice articles on Merseyrail and another foreign article... The South of France!

REM appears to be a bit thin, usual bunch of reviews but lots of adverts too.

If you haven't got time to stand in Smiths and read it, and are an 80's-90's fiend like me just buy it an go.

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Nice issue, very nice issue (Sub Copy through letterbox at 10 am this morning) and comes with another double sided free poster :drinks: with two original NSE 47's on one side and some double engined blue thing on some sort of freight train on the other... :D

Actually mentions in a paragraph that the REM section is smaller this month due to stuff being added to the main magazine section. As far as I am concerned the Speedlink article(s) count as modelling inspiration to me!!

Rail Express certainly gives a reassuring 'thunk' when it lands on the door mat these days. Over the years there's been a goodly amount of RE bashing but i've always liked the balance of reallity and modelling the magazine offers and as a result i've subscribed for years.

This issue (July 11 182) proudly promotes 108 pages 'plus free massive poster' on the front cover. I heartily agree that the main magazine is up to scratch and possibly better than the norm. However, Rail Express Modeller is a different story altogther in my opinion. Fair enough, they mention that it's smaller than usual but they're quite happy to promote it as 24-pages when in fact, taking the cover and ads out of the equation leaves just nine and half pages of modelling news, reviews and articles. The normal pagination for REM is 32 i beleive so i shall look forward to August issue in which there will no doubt be 40-pages put asisde for modelling??

The balance i've always enjoyed has gone astray with this issue (IMHO) and i will be keeping a close eye on future editions to see that it's redressed.

Not seen it anywhere on here, but Gareth Bayer is apparantly leaving Rail Express in the near future and the replacement freelance Editor will be Murray Brown. Didn't see anything mentioned in the new issue about it, but heard it from more than one source.

Not seen it anywhere on here, but Gareth Bayer is apparantly leaving Rail Express in the near future and the replacement freelance Editor will be Murray Brown. Didn't see anything mentioned in the new issue about it, but heard it from more than one source.

All

'Tis True, Heard from the horses mouth, so to speak, over the DEMU weekend, Just like thank Gareth for his hard work over the years and to wish Him Good luck in Japan! :D

Mike

Not seen it anywhere on here, but Gareth Bayer is apparantly leaving Rail Express in the near future and the replacement freelance Editor will be Murray Brown.

Gareth mentioned it on Facebook a few days back - I didn't want to mention anything in case there was going to be a proper annoucment.

He's going to, if I've understood correctly, still have a hand in dealing with the 'foreign' stuff.

'Tis True, Heard from the horses mouth, so to speak, over the DEMU weekend, Just like thank Gareth for his hard work over the years and to wish Him Good luck in Japan! :D

Yes very much so - RE/REM has been a consistently good read and has had a really good balance over the past years between the real UK railway, railway modelling, and recently some highlights of overseas stuff creeping in, and I think much of that is due to his efforts. I'd also wish him the best of luck in the new adventure and like James i'm also glad to see he will still be doing some stuff for the mag to keep his hand in! :drinks:

Lets hope Murray Brown can keep up the good work.

Murray Brown was involved in Rail Express right at the start, if I remember correctly. I'd bought it from issue 1 but recently given up on it as I have no real interest in the current scene and was buying it for the modelling content. MB may try to increase the 'historical' stuff if his previous editorships are anything to go by.

• RMweb Gold

Murray Brown was involved in Rail Express right at the start, if I remember correctly. I'd bought it from issue 1 but recently given up on it as I have no real interest in the current scene and was buying it for the modelling content. MB may try to increase the 'historical' stuff if his previous editorships are anything to go by.

I hope not. I wish Murray well (at the start, IIRC, he was the publisher when Philip Sutton was editor) but there are plenty of rail titles that feature steam and one of the reasons Rail Express is the only mag I just pick up and buy each month without bothering to browse is that I know, for me, there'll be no wasted pagination.

cheers

Ben A.

... MB may try to increase the 'historical' stuff if his previous editorships are anything to go by.

... but there are plenty of rail titles that feature steam ...

Pardon me if I'm missing something here, but since when have 'historical' and 'steam' been synonymous :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Pardon me if I'm missing something here, but since when have 'historical' and 'steam' been synonymous :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Hi there,

No, they're not synonyms.

And thinking about it, I would read an article on Tornado or one of the other preserved steam engines that are sometimes seen on the network. Also, I'd be interested in historical articles from the modernisation period onward. So probably roll on the changes!

cheers

Ben A.

Also, I'd be interested in historical articles from the modernisation period onward.

That's essentially what REx has done since the first issue.

The 'Rattle & Roll Years' did feature references to steam, quite hard not to during the period 1955 - 1968! And a 9F has featured in REM early on! But in context of the era there's nothing wrong with this - much of the railway for many years after 1968 was essentially a steam age system with a slight change of motive power!

I don't think anyone's got anything to worry about :)

Check the double sided poster, as mine is very poorly printed on the side of interest to me - the 47s at Ely.

Are you sure? Mine's slightly 'grainier' on that side but this is probably just a consequence of it being blown up from, I guess, a 35mm negative rather than a huge digital file like the reverse side probably has been.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Gareth is moving on from RE - for me it's a mag that's gone from strength to strength recently, and whenever I have sent him sightings for the traction reports, or a few photos, Gareth's would drop me a line in response, which is always appreciated, especially considering he must get stacks of emails like mine! (Other mag editors should take note...).

So I too just buy RE as a matter of course, whenever it arrives in the newsagents - it's just one of those must-have mags, like Model Rail.

Anyway, good luck RE, and Gareth, for the future,

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame the Gareth is moving on, as Keith said, Gareth always took the time to respond to photo submissions, indeed he encouraged my son to persevere with his photography last year, Gareth asked to use a photo of a pair of DRS 20s at Reedham off my old fotopic site in REx. I sent a copy and mentioned that my teenage son had a different view taken at the same time and followed up with James's version. James got his first photo published and Gareth immediately remembered it when we were chatting at DEMU last year, lots of encouragement which means that James's photography has really improved.

Martin

Are you sure? Mine's slightly 'grainier' on that side but this is probably just a consequence of it being blown up from, I guess, a 35mm negative rather than a huge digital file like the reverse side probably has been.

I don't think the horrible black ink marks should be there though! :unsure:

post-4633-0-87045600-1308300856_thumb.jpg

Hello

Gareth is going to Japan to teach English for 2 years as do a lot of other young British folk . I wish him well. Murray Brown was the original editor of Rail magazine when it was founded as Rail Enthusiast. When he and Phil Sutton were eased out by Emap when they wanted the mag to become a 'Trade Journal' they then founded Rail Express with Murray as the original editor. I don't know who will be running the model section as I don't think Murray has much interest in that field. Possibly Simon Bendall will take it on but I don't know . I wish them all well .

Cheers

George

Hello

Gareth is going to Japan to teach English for 2 years as do a lot of other young British folk . I wish him well. Murray Brown was the original editor of Rail magazine when it was founded as Rail Enthusiast. When he and Phil Sutton were eased out by Emap when they wanted the mag to become a 'Trade Journal' they then founded Rail Express with Murray as the original editor. I don't know who will be running the model section as I don't think Murray has much interest in that field. Possibly Simon Bendall will take it on but I don't know . I wish them all well .

Cheers

George

Was David Lane (now with Ian Allan) part of the original founding team at RE?

Archived