Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The methods that we employ in our hobby

Guest Natalie Graham

Thankfully long gone is the one where to construct a loco chassis you started with two strips (slabs?) of 1/16" brass and fastened it all together with large cheesehead scews.

Not guilty on that one :yahoo:

Out of fifteen boards that make up Ravensclyyfe only five of them have four right-angle corners, two of the rest have six sides, the remaining eight all have five sides apiece....

Andi

There's a practical reason for it - angled joints are problematic. Blacklade has thin tapering boards and I was getting rather worried about how I could get decent joints between the cross members and the front and back strips until one of our senior club members gave a talk on his baseboard method. This involves essentially single skin ply girders - a single sheet of ply with 2 rails of 1" x 1" top and bottom as stiffeners . The solid 1/2" ply cross members then fit as an interlock with rebated joints - giving a good deal more surface to make the bond and a lot more strength to the joint. If you simply used a butt joint against plain ply , then unless you're a skilled cabinet maker the angles won't quite match and you'll only get a very thin edge where the cross piece and the front/back member actually tuoches, meaning a weak joint

• RMweb Premium

How many novices get their track plans right first time? It can be unpinned and relaid. Glued track can't.

Depends on your glue. I use Copydex which holds the track down very well and is easy enough to remove should you need to relay part of the track (because you've uesed a metal track joiner rather than a plastic one for example!).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived