MANCHESTER EXHIBITION THIS WEEKEND - 75 YEARS YOUNG

Andy C

I've just booked a ticket online. The MMRS exhibition was a mainstay of my calendar when I lived in Stoke, but since moving down to Worcestershire I haven't been able to justify the trip up north just for the show. However, this year it happens to coincide with another event in Manchester which I will be attending in an entirely different capacity, so I'm planning to get up nice and early on Sunday morning to get to there for opening time and have a couple of hours at the show before I need to move on.

Crikey!

This is next weekend already.

Last year I went via Levenshulme, Is Mauldeth Road a better walk ?

Hi Mickey

According to google I measured the distance from Mauldeth Road station at .8 of a mile carriage door to exhibition door. Goimg off reaction last year it certainly seems the better bet if you are travelling to the show by rail.

Slattocks Junction was taken down last night ready to allow Dewsbury to make its descent on the rope incline from upstairs now on Thursday.

I've even paid my club membership again so should be allowed into the show now...

The saggy barrier award has also been sighted at the club, no cheating on that by inviting the University girls lacrosse team in to help operate :P.

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing Leighton Buzzard again, last time was MRJ Exhibition in ......... It really wasn't that long ago was it?

Yep! It really was!! The layout behaved really well at EXPO EM North a couple of weeks ago, so I hope that continues through Manchester. We will have another couple of locos as I have repaired the Sacre 2-4-0T (One of my favourite all time locos - simply lovely). This was slipping out of gear mesh, through many years of wear and tear! One of the Pollitt goods (LNER J10) has also had a coat of looking at. All that needed was a good clean and a service and a little attention to some very worn paint. It runs beautifully despite the rather ancient motor and gears and it will creep along at a slow walking pace. I really don't know how Peter Denny got his locos to run as well as they do with the equipment and products he had available.

I look forward to seeing folk there. Please come and say hello and join me in enjoying some modelling history!

Full list of traders and societies for everyones perusal

247 Developments

Alan Gibson Workshop

ALL Components

Bachmann Europe

Bill Hudson Books

Brassmasters

Comet Models

Cheltenham Model Centre

Darlington Railway Modelling

D.C. Kits & Models

Eileen's Emporium

Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways

Freestone Model Accessories

The Gordon Coltas Photographic Trust

Greenscene

High Level Kits

Judith Edge Kits

Parkside Dundas

Pennine Models

Phoenix Precision Paints

Photoscape Photography

Railway Modeller and Peco Products

Rural Railways

Shawplan

Ten Commandments

TMS Models

Videoscene and Train Crazy

Wizard Models/ Model Signal Engineering/ 51L

Also attending

2mm Scale Association

3mm Society

7mm Narrow Gauge Association

DEMU (diesel and electric modellers united)

East Lancashire Railway

EM Gauge Society

Gauge 0 Guild

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society

MERG (The Model Electronic Railway Group)

Scalefour Society

Warley Model Railway Club

I keep trying to ascertain which will be either my favourite layout or most inspirational!

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing "Leighton Buzzard" in the flesh! Must take plenty of pictures and put them on here as there does not seem to be many (on t'interweb) at the moment, all I could find was this: http://amodelrailway.blogspot.com/search/label/peter%20denny and a brief mention on the EMGS website.

Cheers,

John E.

The saggy barrier award has also been sighted at the club, no cheating on that by inviting the University girls lacrosse team in to help operate :P.

I'm sorry to dissapoint at this stage Craig but the lacrosse team were conspicous by their absence tonight whilst putting the banners up outside the hall. It was the male Rugby training tonight :no:

Im sure they (the lacrosse girls) will be in at some point in the show for you Craig :sungum:

I'm sorry to dissapoint at this stage Craig but the lacrosse team were conspicous by their absence tonight whilst putting the banners up outside the hall. It was the male Rugby training tonight :no:

At least we didn't have to negotiate the boating lake at the entrance to the lower car park this year, and by all accounts it doesn't look as if it will be putting in an appearance at all this weekend, but this is Manchester.....!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I keep trying to ascertain which will be either my favourite layout or most inspirational!

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing "Leighton Buzzard" in the flesh! Must take plenty of pictures and put them on here as there does not seem to be many (on t'interweb) at the moment, all I could find was this: http://amodelrailway...l/peter%20denny and a brief mention on the EMGS website.

Cheers,

John E.

A number of photos appeared on the RMWeb thread on EXPO EM 2011 at Bracknell and there are some photos from that event (taken very well by Tim Easter of this parrish) in the gallery section of the EMGS website.

By all means feel free to take some more and post them on here. We do requests, so if there is a particular loco or suchlike you wish to see out, or have posed somewhere, please ask!

Regards

Tony

Just come across this thread. I have fond memories of the Manchester show from when I was growing up in Heald Green and particularly remember the 'Big Trams', which to an eight year old were massive! I haven't been for some years (I came to Reading in 1995 to do my degree and my parents left Manchester in 1997). Some of the advertising I'd seen for recent MMRS shows had suggested that the show was a shadow of its former self, so it's great to see what's lined up for this weekend! I can only regret that I will be unable to make it, having already offered to operate a layout at Croydon but send my best wishes to the MMRS team!

Richard

Just come across this thread. I have fond memories of the Manchester show from when I was growing up in Heald Green and particularly remember the 'Big Trams', which to an eight year old were massive! I haven't been for some years (I came to Reading in 1995 to do my degree and my parents left Manchester in 1997). Some of the advertising I'd seen for recent MMRS shows had suggested that the show was a shadow of its former self, so it's great to see what's lined up for this weekend! I can only regret that I will be unable to make it, having already offered to operate a layout at Croydon but send my best wishes to the MMRS team!

Richard

Richard

I'm sure you've noticed that the trams are there again this year so its a great shame you can't be with us. However, I'm intrigued to know what you mean by "Some of the advertising I'd seen for recent MMRS shows had suggested that the show was a shadow of its former self". I grew up with the show at the Corn Exchange and I will never lose my affection for that place but since those heady days it has continued to grow and get better and better. Reaching its 75th landmark is a real achievement, but did the publicity in the past really suggest it was just a shadow of its former self?

Tony

Thurston OO is ready for loading out of our shipping container and into the 4M hired van Friday morning. A14/M6/M56 traffic permitting we're hoping to arrive at the hall about 1.00PM for the unloading/setting up - and Jonathan Wealleans should be arriving from the other direction sometime around then too. Looking forward to a great weekend!!!!

Our Malcolm mentioned something about bringing a bottle of Thai whisky for this trip (I guess we'll need something to clean the track with...). I think I'll bring something from Scotland - obviously!

Our crew for this trip is Jonathan, Keith, Malcolm, Michael and myself with guest appearances from Graham Varley who's around too.

P.S. The Ely MRC website is currently down at the moment (as our websmaster is struggling with some new software/his new company website) but the Ely & District MRC is still very much alive and kicking (just in case anyone wondered)

Archived