MANCHESTER EXHIBITION THIS WEEKEND - 75 YEARS YOUNG

Andy C

• RMweb Premium

I think I'd echo that last sentiment - in a way I was disappointed to be exhibiting as I didn't get anywhere near enough of a look round. I can't think of any show I've been to where the standard of layouts was consistently so high. I didn't get to photograph anywhere near as many layouts as I'd have liked, but concentrated on two favourites, Leighton Buzzard and Knutsford East Junction.

I was pleased enough to see Leighton Buzzard, but thrilled when Tony offered me the chance to operate it. Reading the thread above I can see he might well have had enough by then. That aside, I've had the misfortune to try to drive trains on modern layouts which didn't work anywhere near as well as this. Left alone to run it (!!!) I then had one of the worst moments of my life when I operated Peter Denny's home made block instrument and it fell off in my hand. No damage done, thankfully. Thanks to Tony's charming fiddle yard team who explained the operating sequence to someone else in voices loud enough that I could hear them and follow what to do.

So, for those who don't know, this is a layout parts of which are over 60 years old. Not many of us can reach these standards of realism and atmosphere today. Enjoy.

lb1x.jpg

lb2m.jpg

lb3z.jpg

lb5h.jpg

lb6p.jpg

lb7j.jpg

lb4vk.jpg

As you can see I did manage to reattach this:

blockbell.jpg

Some lovely photos there! It doesn't look at all bad for an old layout!

Once again many thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I am not sure about the idea of exhibiting as a semi static exhibit. To me, Buckingham is about the combination of operation with something the hobby has all but forgotten, the art of deciding what you want to make then making it. Even the electrical switches (and things like the solonoid on the bell) are home made. Every inch of track, all the cranks and rods for operating points and signals, even the wheels on the horse drawn vehicles. Was there another layout at Manchester where so much was scratchbuilt? Or any other show in the modern era for that matter. I can't think of one.

No doubt after a few days recovery time I will start thinking about ways to patch up and repair the problems. We are out again at Wakefield show in November, so hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then and at least the hall is all on ground level and the cars can be brought a lot nearer to where the layout will be set up, so that should improve matters!

I think it's interesting that with all the excellent layouts which were there, almost all the photos posted have been of Leighton Buzzard. Is that a reflection of the status it and Peter Denny enjoy?

Anyway, in case you think that was all that was there, here is my record of 'Knutsford East Junction'. Some layouts just look 'right', even without trains. This is one of them. Not that there weren't trains, just that I wasn't in a position to take decent pictures of most of them.

kej_1_zps0b019884.jpg

The prize winning bridge - a beautiful piece of construction.

kej_2_zps20e2095c.jpg

kej_3_zpsb382781b.jpg

kej_4_zps9630b4f7.jpg

kej_5_zps780b5649.jpg

kej_6_zps5a870fd3.jpg

I really need a better camera to be this arty.

kej_7_zps9756c66b.jpg

kej_8_zpsbe6f0858.jpg

kej_9_zpsd15c535d.jpg

The coaching stock was lovely, as was that B7 which I cast covetous looks at all weekend.

t-b-g

I can sympathise with your overall feelings for the weekend, the heat was tremendous upstairs and was getting to everyone. However, it is a credit to LB that it worked so well in the conditions - I know the problems you were having, but you covered them well. Apologies if the 20 caused offence, at least it was only Sunday afternoon. Given the circumstances, if you are not into such things I can see if the 20 was a bit of an irritation.

We all have good shows/bad shows, but like many others I feel it would be a pity to withdraw LB from the 'circuit' as we can still draw inspiration from it, and just wonder at the builders engenuity in making such a creation at a time when so little was available off the shelf. Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are these days.

Many thanks to the MMRS for being so welcoming and friendly and putting on such a great show, probably the best show I've been to and I'm already looking forward to next year

VM.

PS, the 20 was only on half. They would have known about it downstairs if it was on full!

Here is a selection of scenes from around the show!

post-6892-0-81766100-1317656616.jpg

Overhead shot of LHS of main hall.

post-6892-0-47964600-1317656662.jpg

Ditto RHS! (These two above photos taken with knowledge and permission of Armitage centre staff!).

post-6892-0-36808800-1317656674.jpg

LHS of upper hall.

post-6892-0-90773300-1317656687.jpg

Ditto RHS!

post-6892-0-37757100-1317656708.jpg

At end of upper hall, we had the MMRS competition entries and demo stand. (taken early Sunday AM, so no-one on duty!).

post-6892-0-57784200-1317656725.jpg

Andy C presenting the MMRS "Saggy Barrier" award to Werner of WEK.

post-6892-0-91524000-1317656743.jpg

(Some of) the proud team!

post-6892-0-86256200-1317656757.jpg

Candid shot of,.....(one of my many favourites!).

post-6892-0-19072600-1317656770.jpg

The ever popular Manchester trams layout.

post-6892-0-78994300-1317656799.jpg

"Leeton" vying for the "SB" award!

post-6892-0-41942800-1317656815.jpg

Ditto "Thurston"!

post-6892-0-13458800-1317656828.jpg

Ditto MMRS opus, "Dewsbury"!

post-6892-0-15711800-1317656839.jpg

And, sure to be popular, on the Bachmann stand.

These last pics taken very late on Sunday. I wanted to take more through the w/e but didn't even get my camera out until the final day, D'oh!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks for inviting us to the show Andy - we had a great weekend with Heyside on it's first show in it's new form. I hope we were able to do the show justice, we did get a lot of people watching and got a lot of interest. In the short time that I was able to get round, the whole standard of the exhibition was excellent.

Thanks again to you and all the Manchester club.

Tony G.

Thinking about the issue of not enough operators for LB:

It would probably require building a new fiddle yard, and almost certainly require a new paper roll - but could LB be hooked up to the Automatic Crispin? That would probably attract even more interest, though of course it would be one more thing to go wrong....

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about the issue of not enough operators for LB:

It would probably require building a new fiddle yard, and almost certainly require a new paper roll - but could LB be hooked up to the Automatic Crispin? That would probably attract even more interest, though of course it would be one more thing to go wrong....

What a thought! Sadly, although I hope I have a fighting chance of getting the AC back up and running, the chances of me learning how to re-program it are about nil! I think Buckingham's timetable may stay just the way it was.

There are several volunteers on the operating front, so we should be OK. It just so happened that some were busy that weekend on another well known EM layout! It should only need 4 really, two on and two off. The problem this weekend was that because so much wasn't going right I didn't feel comfortable about pursuading some of the less experienced crew members (who were highly competent on the fiddle yard) that they should have a go on the station. Poor Ken was really dead on his feet and should have been in bed with a sick note, so that left me plus any volunteers!

Next time out, at Wakefield, I already have a couple of top notch operators lined up (including one who has known the layout for many more years than me), so we should fare much better.

• RMweb Premium

t-b-g

I can sympathise with your overall feelings for the weekend, the heat was tremendous upstairs and was getting to everyone. However, it is a credit to LB that it worked so well in the conditions - I know the problems you were having, but you covered them well. Apologies if the 20 caused offence, at least it was only Sunday afternoon. Given the circumstances, if you are not into such things I can see if the 20 was a bit of an irritation.

We all have good shows/bad shows, but like many others I feel it would be a pity to withdraw LB from the 'circuit' as we can still draw inspiration from it, and just wonder at the builders engenuity in making such a creation at a time when so little was available off the shelf. Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are these days.

Many thanks to the MMRS for being so welcoming and friendly and putting on such a great show, probably the best show I've been to and I'm already looking forward to next year

VM.

PS, the 20 was only on half. They would have known about it downstairs if it was on full!

I don't really have a problem with DCC sound in general. The Sulzers sound quite nice! There is just a certain frequency in that 20 soundchip that sets me off like fingernails down a blackboard! Ken is quite deaf and when there is a sound fitted 20 around, he has to turn his digital hearing aids off and withdraw from all conversations, because the high pitched frequency sends them crazy.

Mind you, if everything else had been going well we probably might not have even noticed them!

• RMweb Premium

Just to show all was not well...

Faulty point mechanism caused t-b-g to hide under the layout.

post-7104-0-76297500-1317678052.jpg

I could have been just having a nap! Or I could have been having a bit of a sulk and was just refusing to come out!

This was one of the heat related problems. The point rodding is pushed into short lengths of plastic wire insulation then crimped in brass strips for the cranks. The heat caused either the plastic insulation or the rod to change size and round about every hour, it worked loose and the point rodding fell off! It was only a two minute job pushing it back in, then it would last another hour. You can't glue it in as it needs to pivot, so I have learned to live with that one. In a home operating session, with perhaps an hours session at a time and a much smaller number of train movements at LB, it will probably only fall off once a month!

Thanks to all those who have posted images. It looks like it was a great show. I really wanted to go but had to head to the USA on a business trip instead. However life has it's little compensations. I spent all day Sunday watching freight trains on BNSF's Southern Transcon route in New Mexico (Dalies, Belen yard, Abo Canyon and Mountainair to be precise). These things really make the ground shake. 20,000 horse power flogging up a 1 in 80 gradient with over 100 bogie cars behind.

post-118-0-30662300-1317732985_thumb.jpg

Cheers....Morgan

P.S. Anymore pics of Clinkerford (especially the operating crew)?

Hi Morgan,

Good to see you are enjoying the scenery in New Mexico. In response to your request here are a few pics of Clinkerford from the show. The first few are from set up on friday with Craig's rearview on show..... not sure what joke Paul & Steph were sharing perhaps a caption competition is in order.

Chris G asked us to test the Tom Mallard built Y5 on the saturday and as you know we are always happy to oblige - the silly session late on saturday shows it managing 38 wagons without a slip - Chris remembered to collect it on sunday :sad_mini2:

The hall was rather warm over the weekend sespecially on saturday - the temperature might have even matched New Mexico..................................

Paul is now the proud new owner of Clinkerford and I managed to capture the official handover ... not sure what is being exchanged in the photo maybe the key for the clockwork motors :stinker:

Thanks to John for allowing me to join the operating team for his final show as owner of the layout.

post-6970-0-69371100-1317742946_thumb.jpg

post-6970-0-82004500-1317743102_thumb.jpg

post-6970-0-34112100-1317743131_thumb.jpg

post-6970-0-17072300-1317743158_thumb.jpg

post-6970-0-54746700-1317743480_thumb.jpg

post-6970-0-78571200-1317743194_thumb.jpg

Hi Morgan,

Good to see you are enjoying the scenery in New Mexico. In response to your request here are a few pics of Clinkerford from the show. The first few are from set up on friday with Craig's rearview on show.....

Mine's the one on the left if anyone was confused.. Possibly the most flattering picture of me taken for some time!

We'll be testing Paul on how well he remembered the setup instructions sooner rather than later hopefully.. After all its already been pointed out to him that adding cobwebs to the layout doesn't constitute modelling :P.

Paul is now the proud new owner of Clinkerford and I managed to capture the official handover ... not sure what is being exchanged in the photo maybe the key for the clockwork motors :stinker:.

Nah I think it was that spare Seep motor off the snagging list ;). If Paul had seen around the back of Clinkford he would have got a similar legs sticking out shot of me fiddling with a sticky Seep!

Hi

I'm a little surprised that no videos have been posted of what was an outstanding show. Despite being there, I was unable to see very much of the show, and I'd like to see what I'd missed!

I did take some video, but only of Heyside, and that is here for those interested. Apologies for the gaffe in having the same clip front and back, but my editing skills are ropey to say the least!

Richard

I keep looking out at the cloudy, drizzly and chilly weather outside and wishing this had happened last weekend, and the good weather this weekend. A fair number of the MMRS show management team are off to the Manchester Beer festival this afternoon to partake in some of Greater Manchesters microbreweries finest offerings (Oh and JW Lees as well!) and generally chill out after the show weekend.

http://foodanddrinkfestival.com/event/real-ale-festival/

All this before the show inquest in just over a weeks time, from when you can expect some announcements about next year........

Archived