Araldite

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I need to re-fix a body shell (Hornby CEGB diesel shunter) as the clip-fit fixing lugs for the cab snapped off when it accidentally fell on the floor off my grandson's layout. 

Easy to do a hidden fix with a small wood block and a self-tapping screw up from underneath but can someone please confirm Araldite (or similar manufacturer's quick-fix epoxy) won't dissolve the clear plastic glazing when I glue in the wood block? Will also use the opportunity to add some cab interior details etc., now it is on the workbench as opposed to in the stock box.

Edited by john new

can someone please confirm Araldite (or similar manufacturer's quick-fix epoxy) won't dissolve the clear plastic glazing when I glue in the wood block?

Araldite doesn't stick to most plastics particularly well. Mix up some Araldite or Devcon on styrene sheet, and when it's hardened you can just peel it off. I have used JB Weld for some things, it mixes up a grey colour, and I've found it sets much more solidly than other epoxy resins, but it still peels off styrene. 

• RMweb Gold

Araldite doesn't stick to most plastics particularly well. Mix up some Araldite or Devcon on styrene sheet, and when it's hardened you can just peel it off. I have used JB Weld for some things, it mixes up a grey colour, and I've found it sets much more solidly than other epoxy resins, but it still peels off styrene.

Thanks for that. Part of my problem is I don't know what type of plastic this Hornby glazing block is. It forms a big open bottom cube inside the cab shell going down to footplate level. If it is just clear poly' then I can stick in some more poly sheet using standard poly cement, MekPak or similar and screw into that. However, I have made the assumption in the past that some plastic moulded display equipment I cracked was formed in clear polystyrene and the repair failed miserably. (It wasn't poly so the usual options didn't fuse it together)

I can easily do a bodge with self adhesive Velcro fastenings to hold it together but was hoping for something a bit more sophisticated.

Edited by john new

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2017 at 18:37, john new said:

Thanks for that. Part of my problem is I don't know what type of plastic this Hornby glazing block is. It forms a big open bottom cube inside the cab shell going down to footplate level. If it is just clear poly' then I can stick in some more poly sheet using standard poly cement, MekPak or similar and screw into that. However, I have made the assumption in the past that some plastic moulded display equipment I cracked was formed in clear polystyrene and the repair failed miserably. (It wasn't poly so the usual options didn't fuse it together)

I can easily do a bodge with self adhesive Velcro fastenings to hold it together but was hoping for something a bit more sophisticated.

For some reason after I got the correct answer from Hornby the answer didn't get posted here so belatedly now added with apologies - 

Hello Mr New,

Thank you for your email, the body of your locomotive is manufactured from HIPS (high impact polystyrene) the cab windows are Krystal Clear. Please avoid using superglue when re fitting any glazed parts.

Above is from Hornby's email to me 26 Jul 2017.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that the reason Araldite/Devcon won't adhere well to some plastic surfaces is that such surfaces are quite smooth and shiny, and do not provide a good 'key'.  An abrasive will improve matters, increasing the surface area for the adhesive to grip to at a microscopic level, which may be necessary if this is a load bearing bond.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are epoxies specifically designed to bond metals. I would expect them to also work on equally non-porous plastics, but I'm not sure where you might get small quantities.

As for removal of unmixed material, one of the usual recommendations for getting the uncured mixed stuff off hands and tools is white vinegar. Worth a try, cheap and probably rather more model/paint friendly than solvent products.

And that'll teach me to check the date on the original post :D.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the tip. Always useful to get info and personally I prefer activated old threads to keep linked topic related posts together than a plethora of new one's.