New Franchise = New Stock ? No Way !

Today - mon 20 june - we had a visit from some of our FGW Directors. When asked about the new bi-modal stock it was said - bearing in mind it is early days yet - that west of Exeter we wont be seeing it !! Instead, the Directors admitted the refresh was a big design mistake and we would be getting another refurb more suited to longer distance travel which the remaining ( west country services ) HST sets would recieve.

It is understood that after electrification of the former Thameslink services, the 165/6 fleets would replace the 15x fleets for the west. However, as these are banned from all the Cornish branches, expect to see our current 150 and 153s for a long time to come !!

This is of course providing First win and as it is still so early, anything could happen.

Just thought you would all like to know :pleasantry: !

• RMweb Gold

Given the general decline in pasenger comfort with each generation of new stock since the MK3 (I know there are exceptions), I am of the opinion that this isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

• 4 months later...

the Directors admitted the refresh was a big design mistake and we would be getting another refurb more suited to longer distance travel.

This appears to be an admission by making the MK3's more like the inside of a local bus was not a good idea! With this and all the other issues there are currently are with the Great Western fanchise I hope that first is replaced when it is up for renewal.

Having flown the first nest Elaine Holt appears to be showing here true worth on East Coast maybe she could do the same for the Great Western franchise.

XF

• RMweb Gold

At last it would seem that the truly awful claustophobic standard ('cattle') class accomodation installed in the refurbishment overseen by Ms Alison Forster

in the days before she was relieved of her MD status and 'moved sideways'.

Lets hope that the seat backs will be lowered and returned to their original size, and perhaps the return of more 4 + 4 seats around a table with a window view.....I somehow doubt that that would now happen....we live in hope!

• RMweb Premium

Well its confirmed. Staff press has stated the HSTs will be used for almost all the next franchise for west of Exeter mainline services. At least they will get a ( better ) refurbishment.

Whilst the MK3 seating is not as good as it used to be it's still a lot better than most (all?) other trains on the line.

Have they said how long they expect the next franchise to be? If I remember correctly there was talk of 20 - 25 years, if so that would make the HST's the best part of 60 years old at the end, very impressive.

Archived