RMweb

Exford Park. CLOSED

Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Oh I shall look forward to seeing what the new toy is.... sound fitted something??

Not that interesting I'm afraid but a good addition to the fleet nethertheless.wink.gif

post-6922-128225670204_thumb.jpg

Finally took the plunge and ordered one of these this week, expensive but seems to do the trick and I didn't bang my head once whilst cleaning the track.laugh.gif

post-6922-128225680213_thumb.jpg

33035 became the first loco to work the RHTT (RailHead Treatment Train) through Exford.

Seriously though, the CMX machine was run for an hour or so tonight through all my trackwork and all the track now passes the finger test with flying colours. Track cleaning from now on can be done seated with a cuppa, rather than a track rubber and cloths etc whilst banging head on the rafters!

• RMweb Premium

It isnt as big as I thought they were having only seen pics in ads for them.Looks quite small behind the 33.Anyway of bashing it to resemble a bit of engineers kit?This may sound daft but how does it work Temeraire?

Yeah I was surprised how small it was when I opened the box, although it is scale HO.

As for how it works, the lefthand knob unscrews to allow you to fill the tank with cleaning fluid. The centre knob is the control valve that is adjusted to give 10-15 drops per minute onto the cloth pad on the underside of the sprung loaded skid underneath the body. Then you just drag it around with a loco and hey presto the track is clean!

I've only used it for the first time tonight and it has worked well, because the track was quite dirty having not been cleaned for some time and not used for nearly 4 weeks whilst away. All my rails pass the clean finger test now!cool.gif

Nice Toy Ian, I looked at those last year at Warley, a friend of mine got the Dapol one and to be honest I think you have made the better choice. Simple and effective.

By the way, I have managed to sort the Woking date so thats a big Yes... Beast here we come!

Scott

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a period of inactivity due to a myriad of other committments, I hope soon to get back into the swing of modelling now the darker nights are nearly here. Last Friday I had the opportunity to get some photos at last to enable me to get on with the next little project.

My next project is to make a semi-low relief representation of the Exeter signalling centre and surrounds, shown in the following photos, to fill centre stage against the backscene behind the stabling point, to fill the at present empty area between the tunnel and the bridge. We'll see how it goes I spose!

post-6922-028185200 1284678295_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the site with surrounding compound visible.

post-6922-055132100 1284678318_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the Signal centre itself.

There my idea is out there and I guess you'll be waiting for progress!;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all

No the signal centre isn't done yet, but I have counted all the bricks on the photos and drawn out a plan with the measurements ready to start construction! Unfortunately time hasn't been on my side recently for modelling projects, so its on hold until I return from a business trip to Denver this month.

However, with the odd moments I've had this month a couple of long forgotten locos have been chipped and given a run on DCC for the first time. Also a short tunnel/cover has been built to fit behind the backscene at the bridge end to hide the view of the other end of the loft in photos through the bridge. The photos below were taken tonight whilst running the recent converts. Look away now if tea making devices aren't your bag.;) :D

post-6922-044411500 1286146208_thumb.jpg

Yes a kettle! :rolleyes: Merchant Navy 35028 appears from under the now dark bridge and heads for Kingswear from Paddington.

post-6922-047667000 1286146392_thumb.jpg

Followed shortly after by 37678 with a Speedlink freight for Tavistock yard seen here passing the site of the signal centre.

post-6922-006484400 1286146412_thumb.jpg

The 37 is captured from the roof of the shed by a worker repairing a leak.

post-6922-079270200 1286146479_thumb.jpg

Late afternoon now and having been dragged back from Kingswear to Exeter by a diesel, 'Clan Line' now passes through Exford Park station on route to Waterloo via the LSWR line.

The 37 hasn't had all the details added as yet and it will probably be renumbered and weathered at some point but I thought it good to record its first appearance on the layout with that of the kettle, none of which is likely before I fly out for ten days on Wednesday!

• 3 weeks later...

post-6922-044411500 1286146208_thumb.jpg

Yes a kettle! :rolleyes: Merchant Navy 35028 appears from under the now dark bridge and heads for Kingswear from Paddington.

post-6922-079270200 1286146479_thumb.jpg

Late afternoon now and having been dragged back from Kingswear to Exeter by a diesel, 'Clan Line' now passes through Exford Park station on route to Waterloo via the LSWR line.

Hi Temeraire, I am glad to see that you are back although Man Flu and probably Jet Lag not so good, here's hoping that you will be feeling better soon.

The Kettle looks good although I am suprised to see it my grandson Jamie keeps asking "when you gonna get a steam train grandad" they are so good these days I am tempted especially when the 7F arrives in the shops.

I now have automation on Leaford with my special thanks to Two Tone Green of this parish, just fine tuning left to do and I look forward to a meeting with yourself and scott as soon as it can be arranged.

My regards

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

That CMX cleaner looks good but pricey. Worth the price?

I gather from a bit of googling that it can be filled with nail polish remover...

It is definitely pricey, but worth it as it does a good job and is well made to last. Don't know about nail polish remover but I guess any liquid can be made to drip through.

As long as the nail polish remover has no acetone in it - it should be fine. I would suggest a test over a reasonably long term with some of the cleaning fluids available just in case you end up with warped plastic.

This is from Troels Kirk thread on Railroad Line Forum -

Two days ago I began a test of a track cleaning and maintenance method that has been praised on several fronts: I chose the paper mill area as a test bed, and began by cleaning the rails very thoroughlu with a non lubricating oxide removing contact spray, sprayed onto the rough back of pieces of masonite. Very effective!! Stubborn spots were gently cleaned with 1200 grit paper... When super clean a piece of masonite drenched in CRC 2-26 spray was run over the tracks, and the turnout points got a little squirt. The rails then have to dry for 24 hours.

I ran the mill shay on paper towels first impregnated with the cleaner (really black streaks on the towels), then with the 2-26, and let that dry too.

Yesterday I ran the shay, and the improvement was simply amazing. It began running super slowly on speed one of 128 (before it was up to 7-8...), and took the insulfrog turnouts flawlessly at that creeping speed!

I have read that the corrosion resistant film normally lasts six to eight months, and a quick renewal of the 2-26 should suffice... I'll do the whole layout, all loco's and cars, and report again in six months!!

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, I have just had a look at your fotopic site. The collection of 33's look really good. I have a feeling my fleet will grow to accommodate the dutch contingent.. I think that is my favourite livery for them.

Don't forget keep us updated with the signal centre. I want to see it open in time for christmas! :P

• RMweb Premium
Don't forget keep us updated with the signal centre. I want to see it open in time for christmas! :P

Over the last few evenings, after too much time spent thinking about it, a start has finally been made on the Signal Centre. Most of the front elevation has been made and I just need to sort out how to form the 'sticky out window bit' now, and then assemble the various bits into (I hope) something that looks a bit like the photos posted earlier in the thread. Bit late for phots now but I will try to post something over the weekend. All being well it should be 'open' well before Christmas!:P

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just thought I'd add the photos I promised last weekend to prove I have made a start on the signal centre. No progress since last weekend as no time and Im off with the boys to Devon for the weekend so no progress this week either!

post-6922-091870900 1289570004_thumb.jpg

Far from finished front elevation, made with a foamboard carcass overlaid with a clear plastic layer onto which the window frames have been added and painted. Over that is the cardboard front wall with window openings and covered in brick paper. The stick out window is formed from a piece of clear plastic again with the windows being overlaid again although not yet completed.

post-6922-053830900 1289570213_thumb.jpg

Placed on the layout with a loco to give an idea of the signal centre's size.

post-6922-060910500 1289570276_thumb.jpg

View from further away to show the position in relation to the rest of the layout.

As you can see it is far from finished but after spending so much time thinking about how to make it at least I've kicked it off. Two weeks today the 'Leaford Crew' are over to play so I must try to get it at least near finished by then!

As you can see it is far from finished but after spending so much time thinking about how to make it at least I've kicked it off. Two weeks today the 'Leaford Crew' are over to play so I must try to get it at least near finished by then!

I want to be cutting the ribbon in two weeks! None of this near finished nonsense.. ;)

Its coming on well mate, Ive been given the pass so I will be there in 2 weeks... Looking forward to it.

Scott

Just thought I'd add the photos I promised last weekend to prove I have made a start on the signal centre. .....................................As you can see it is far from finished...........................

Looking really good. Thanks for posting "Build in Progress" shots. Very helpful for a novice builder like myself.

Guy

I want to be cutting the ribbon in two weeks! None of this near finished nonsense.. ;)

Its coming on well mate, Ive been given the pass so I will be there in 2 weeks... Looking forward to it.

Scott

Scott,

I love the fact that you have been 'given a pass'. I think all us married men need to aquire one - I have mine to help exhibit Oulton at the Wigan Show

Ian,

'Signal Box' looking superb. Wish my layout had moved on like yours. Keep the photos coming as they provide a heady mix of insperation and guilt to go and do something on the layout instead of weathering stock.

Regards

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Looks good so far Temeraire!Going anywhere nice in Devon?Just to warn you bring a boat!!!!!!Boys not going too good in the Championship now after a promising start.

Wasn't actually Devon in the end turned out to be Somerset (Simonsbath) the a**e end of nowhere! Saturday was actually dry and sunny, although the map reader missed a river crossing and we ended up stomping through a bog on top of Exmoor, still the beer was good! As for the Lions I'm not surprised but I think Kenny will turn it around, don't hold out much hope for the next two Saturday's though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all

Just a quick update to show the last ten days progress with the Signal Box which is slowly coming together. I have three days off and intend to spend at least some of the time modelling, before the 'Leaford Crew' arrive to play on Friday.

post-6922-030584800 1290595618_thumb.jpg

All the layers have been stuck together and lintels and sills added, plus the roof overhang. Upper window has been finished off and blinds added to the inside of the windows to hide the lack of an interior! Nameboard stuck on this morning and it now awaits the roof.

post-6922-000204800 1290595735_thumb.jpg

The primed roof roof drying ready for a top coat before being stuck on top.

post-6922-029758200 1290595792_thumb.jpg

Whilst out with the card and brickpapers etc the industrial units finally got their brickwork and fire exits.

Both buildings still need lots of finishing touches and minor details to bring them to life but I thought I would record the state of play before my days off.

Scott,

I might just get a ribbon in case.:D

Archived