Town village buildings

Dear all,

I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me!

I am busy building a town for my layout and wanted to have a market square as one element. Many of my local small towns have a market hall as a focus point, and I was hoping to do the same. I know that Superquick produce a market hall but I was wondering if any one you have built/adapted the model? Also have any of you found other kits that fit the bill. I would be interested if any one has attempted to scratch build such a structure and any pit falls that have been encountered along the way! Many thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

If you have several suitable buildings in local towns, then you probably know what style of market hall you want. Taking photos of those building will help when you start to model.

A building is essentially a series of boxes stuck together, the more complex the building, the more different sized boxes you'll need.

What you make the boxes out of, and what you cover them with is up to you, but for a simple start cereal packet cardboard can be used to mock up a building to the style you want.

Once you're happy with the concept, stiffer card can be used, covered in one of the many vareties of brick paper commercially available. Or you can use plasticard with embossed brick/stone work.

Yes, you can use a kit and adapt it, but the satisfaction of scratchbuilding can't be beaten. And, if you're not happy, the relatively low cost means starting again is worthwhile.

There are several books which will also help, for either scratchbuilding in card or plastic, and there is a vast array of experience and advice on this forum.

What ever you decide, the best of luck.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

If you haven't already found it, this forum might be of interest http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/113-scalescenes-card-structure-uk-modelling-forum/. For a small fee, you download the Scalescenes kits as a file you print on your own PC. There are lots of ideas and the range is ever-expanding. If you take Stubby47's route to modelling your market hall, you may well find some useful stuff here among other contented users.

Archived