Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Leon

With the point now operational 37803 leaves with its rake of HAA's, all thats left in the yard is a very plastic looking Railfreight 47, I have put the cheapest of chips in as a trial, £11 Trainsave from Hattons, runs really well at slow speeds but stalls on points, unsure if this decoder or train related.

Cant wait to get the airbrush out when time, the Vi 47 looks horrendous straight out of the box...

post-5554-0-65806000-1323947632_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-17308200-1323947659_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-02319300-1323947703_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hello again Leon, i have'nt been around for a long time, my how your fleet has grown ! IMPRESSIVE MATE !

Gives me a bit of inspiration to get my butt into gear for next year, i have wasted this year when it comes to building my layout ! Never mind !

Keep up the good work, congrats on a increasingly good looking layout !

Regards, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the comment. Ideally I need to increase the fleet of 60's the Hornby is a great model, Wouldnt be South Wales without a few Metal sector class 60's.

All the best for Christmas, hope you get back to your layout soon.

Regards

Leon

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Anthony, I decided on the Vi on price alone to be hounest oh and the fact it was a livery suited to my layout. The 47 to me still looks a bit plastic compared to Bachmann, however with it being an older livery (Railfreight) I feel I can mask this with a lot of grime...

They seem to run ok, but I think I would in future choose a Bachmann over a Vi, The Bachmann 37 & 47s I have give me more confidence and manage the whole layout without fail, the Vi's seem to need the odd push start... I have two Vi 37's which I think look great but again its the reliability on the downside.

My next 47 will be a Bachmann, however they dont seem to do that many freight ones? In my opinion, if you have the money go for a Bachmann 47, looks better and should run smoother and without fail.

All the best and hope this helped..

Regards

Leon.

Your Welcome Anthony,

Made an attempt this afternoon at sticking my fingers to the front of a Vi Train 47, once I had removed them I managed to fit some pipes, wipers etc.

The loco came with two sets of buffers, the larger one already fitted but marked for "display" and the smaller for "running" I have put the smaller "running" buffers on but thought the larger ones looked fine, can anyone shed any light ? There is a photo with one of each on, and also the real 322.

Many thanks.

Leon

post-5554-0-77891200-1326483468.jpg

post-5554-0-02985900-1326483506_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-34968300-1326483544_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-31529000-1326483583_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Leon,

Big ones for sure, keep the small ones though they might be ok for a wagon. I have a Vi 47401, the buffers on mine were broken I got some spares sent over and they were broken as well. I have some brass ones to put on now.

I agree with you they don't seem to run as well as the Bachmann ones. I have seem some very nice repaints of the Vi model and they do come up really well. I just like the look of the Bachmann ones better. It's just a matter of choice really. It may be possible to add some extra pick ups as I think they only pick up on 4 wheels per bogie where as the Bachmann pick up on all 6 though I have had to tweak them on some models.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks guys for the input and pics, I have refitted the larger buffers, does anyone know why smaller ones are also supplied ?

Anyway here is a shot of 322 stabled on the dinning table enroute to the utility room for airbrushing, currently cleaning the airbrush but will hopefully have some updates later..

Thanks again all.

post-5554-0-50509700-1326632004_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-07279900-1326632018_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Im hoping to put a bit more effort into weathering/detailing this one, looking to show signs of wear on handrails and around the window frames etc, any tips more than welcome..

I have usally just airbrushed and left at that but need to make every loco a little bit individual I think, luckerly there are a few pics of 322 on the net for help..

• RMweb Premium

Hi Leon

I think Vitrains must be worried about buffers interlocking/coming into contact with stock on smaller radius curves.

Guy

There's a note about the buffers in the ViTrains detailing instruction sheet that shows the large buffers = "loco for showcase" and the small buffers = "running locomotive"........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

They are like the very small buffers Lima put on their locos at one time. I remember buying new Oleos and replacing them. It was the first time I modified an RTR loco and that was many many years ago.

Hopefully get building a South Wales based layout myself. This layout has really inspired me. It will be late 80s time period. Currently just stock building - lots of 37s and 56s etc. Might squeeze in a pristine 60 on driver training.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys, Cheers Mick, I did see the note with the model I assume showcase means not for running on a layout? Anyway put the bigger "showcase" one on as they look more to scale as per the real 322.

BR Blue, looking forward to seeing you start on the layout, have you any pics on here of your locos?

Gave 322 a going over with the airbrush, just added the last coat of brakedust. Think I may have over done the dirt, but I have seen alot of Original Railfreight locos in pretty bad state...

I wanted to add vertical streaks down the side where water/grime has un off but was unable to get the airbrush fine enough.. :(

She will soon be back on the tracks working speedlinks out of the yard..

post-5554-0-40045400-1326655378_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-18859600-1326655429_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-16720000-1326655483_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-85138500-1326655503_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at it, I think I still going to remove a lillte bit more dirt from the front ends, Im pleased how much an airbrush improves a Vi model, taking away the very plastic look and shocking red buffer beam..