Leon

Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment and also your support.

177 notifications, wow I'm impressed, Thank you.

Hoping to get into the atic this weekend, need a bit of a tidy from Christmas before I can get onto the layout but hopefully I can get some 37 action.

Many thanks again all for all of your support and encouragement.

• Like 1

Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment and also your support.

177 notifications, wow I'm impressed, Thank you.

Hoping to get into the atic this weekend, need a bit of a tidy from Christmas before I can get onto the layout but hopefully I can get some 37 action.

Many thanks again all for all of your support and encouragement.

No problem at all Leon.

Made some very pleasant and interesting reading. Be warned I'm up in my loft at the moment tinkering about and its bl**dy freezing. Got the heater cranked up though so it will be nice and toasty in a bit.

Looking forward to some 37 action. Can never have too much of that.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No problem at all Leon.

Made some very pleasant and interesting reading. Be warned I'm up in my loft at the moment tinkering about and its bl**dy freezing. Got the heater cranked up though so it will be nice and toasty in a bit.

Looking forward to some 37 action. Can never have too much of that.

Cheers

Marcus

If its anything like mine, it nice and toasty, just as I'm ready to come down and call it a night! Haha!

Looking forward to an update Leon, definitely agree on the '37' action!

Rich

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks Rich.

No progress unfortunately due to time and motivation, going to have a clean up of the attic soon when Christmas decs go into storage so hopefully get back on it then, there are a few bits I want to buy and still got a few loco projects started but not completed.

Hi Leon,

Hope your getting your motivation back, and now the warmer weather is about, hopefully you'll have got up in the loft and given things a good run. Looking forward to seeing how your progressing, still one of my favorite layouts.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I have decided to do something I have been toying with for a long time now, I have decided to pull up South Wales Freight and lay a new layout.

The reasons are: I think the layout and variety of freight is too much for one operator, also due to I think is the number of points i have there are constant problems with dead sections and trains stopping which has become even more annoying with sound locos. The yard has point at each end, its not a yard that has dead end tracks.

My plan has been to make it more simple, 1 type of freight operation, currently I have a depot, steelworks, docks, yard and wagon repair facility. All of these are a massive bonus but not for one person.

I am planning the keep the two fiddle yards each end, running double track between them with just one set of points running off to a form of industry more than likely a coal loading point.

I can then concentrate on expanding the coal wagons, I will still be able to run other trains I have as it will be a mainline between 2 fiddle yards.

I have been putting this off for sometime now but the operating of the layout has made me loose interest, hopefully this will fire me on.

Has anyone had experience of pulling up a layout, advice would be much appreciated. I will more than likely continue this thread as appose to starting a new one.

Many thanks for all your comments and support

Leon

I am currently taking my large layout down, use boiling water in a syringe (be very careful) much like when you glue ballast, and the pva should dissolve and the track should lift easily. once all the track is lifted and everything you want to keep is off, use a wallpaper scraper to remove as much detritus as you can, an old hoover works wonders here, and go back to the flat wood.  then you can start again.

IMO keep the wagon repair facility, as coal hoppers always got knocked about quite a lot, plus it'll give your 08 something to do.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan, 

I will give that way ago.

Funny you mention, i was wondering how to use the 2 shunters I have, |They are 09's so i could use them to trip work wagons along the main line to the "hidden" wagon works in the fiddle yard..

• Like 1

Oh no!! Is this the end of modelling or just a fresh start??  Sorry to see it go Leon.

Fresh start hopefully mate.

Not really been able to run trains as been having issues with the points, hopefully a new track layout and all will run well. making a bit more simply

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to do something I have been toying with for a long time now, I have decided to pull up South Wales Freight and lay a new layout.

The reasons are: I think the layout and variety of freight is too much for one operator, also due to I think is the number of points i have there are constant problems with dead sections and trains stopping which has become even more annoying with sound locos. The yard has point at each end, its not a yard that has dead end tracks.

Hi Leon,

No, no, no, no, no, no was my initial response! Lol! Very sorry to see this go, it was inspirational to me, full of operational possibilities and good realistic scenery, plus it was a steelworks, which always wins in my book!

However, as you say if your not happy, and it's not giving you the interest, then a change is probably the best move. Shall look forward to seeing what you do, but don't remind us too much of how Tinsley Yard looked in its derelict days!!! Keep posting mate.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

No, no, no, no, no, no was my initial response! Lol! Very sorry to see this go, it was inspirational to me, full of operational possibilities and good realistic scenery, plus it was a steelworks, which always wins in my book!

However, as you say if your not happy, and it's not giving you the interest, then a change is probably the best move. Shall look forward to seeing what you do, but don't remind us too much of how Tinsley Yard looked in its derelict days!!! Keep posting mate.

Rich

Many thanks Rich

I agree, I was very lucky to be able to fit in all that operational scope and a yard means you can pretty much run anything, The issues are with the point work, I think I would have to replace them so with the damage this will cause I decided to pull it all up as it may be easier than trying to repair, Like I said i have been trying to run trains but issues stop me having a good long session and now I have a few sound loco's this spoils the experience.

I have learnt a lot and seen many wonderful layouts on here so i'm hopeful i can up the standard now on my 2nd layout

Just need to get s track plan.....End to End with a 180 degree curve around the attic with a coal loading pad somewhere....

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

Sorry to see the old layout go but if it's not running well a new build has to be the best opton and a new layout will fire you up I am sure.

I use Peco Electrofrog points and more recently use the PL10 i think thats the part number. Anyway you attach it to the point motor cut two little wires under the point and wire it up. It means you don't rely on the point blades for power.

All the best with the new build Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

Sorry to see the old layout go but if it's not running well a new build has to be the best opton and a new layout will fire you up I am sure.

I use Peco Electrofrog points and more recently use the PL10 i think thats the part number. Anyway you attach it to the point motor cut two little wires under the point and wire it up. It means you don't rely on the point blades for power.

All the best with the new build Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for the advice, I will go with what you use I think. I made the mistake of relying on the blades as you mention. I had lots of wire droppers around the layout but that doesn't help at point work. 

I have what are now expensive sound fitted loco's i don,t run which I think defeats the object. I think taking up the track work etc will take some time.

I was never happy with the ballast either, I wanted to used a finer scale.

Progress I guess. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Yes agree with your sentiment totally - looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.  You have inspired my new O gauge layout with the old South Wales Freight however!

Many thanks for the advice, I will go with what you use I think. I made the mistake of relying on the blades as you mention. I had lots of wire droppers around the layout but that doesn't help at point work. 

I have what are now expensive sound fitted loco's i don,t run which I think defeats the object. I think taking up the track work etc will take some time.

Leon,

The switching options that Peter suggests work well - depending on the road you want to go down, you can always use servo's and microswitches remember, which are a lot cheaper - perhaps a little more involved in wiring up but nothing too complex.  Just thought I'd point that one out (excuse the pun!) as its easier for somebody to say at this stage than when you've got the track work down.  If you do look at servo's let me know and I can let you tell you about the servo/microswitch MDF holder I've designed if its of use to you.

Well it's starting to take shape.

What took 9 years is gone in an hour

Oh no, it really is Tinsley all over again!!! :). Well done on the clearing, although a sad sight indeed.....

Rich

Hi Leon,

I must admit to being a bit shocked at your drastic action, but if you weren't happy with it as it was, then you're doing the right thing. I've been rebuilding half of my layout over the past few years and although ripping up the trackwork was a bit daunting at first, I don't regret it at all. I actually made new boards for my new section too, as I widened them a little.

I eventually switched to Cobolt motors, as I was unhappy with the reliability of the PL-10s I was using. A few of my early Cobolts were a bit unreliable but these have now been replaced and again I don't regret changing them at all. Their realistic switching speed and reliability have made it worthwhile. They have an integral switch for frog polarity too. Other motors are obviously available, but they work well for me.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with your fresh start. A change is as good as a rest they say.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Hi all,

After some advice on single track or double.

I am keeping the fiddle yards at both ends so I can run any stock I want from freight to passenger.

Pic 1 shows a single track which I think would make the point work easier but then less operational, however It could be a freight only line but then used for diversions so I could get away with running other trains

Pic 2 shows double track, this I think would improve operating?

FY are fiddle yards, Coal is going to be the simple coal loading point using digger. I think I will keep the depot area and re lay the headshunt orherwise the space in that corner will just become a boring hill.

Please let me know your thoughts on single or double, I think double will require slips to allow the departing coal train to crossover onto the right running line ?

Also lastly, would you elevate the track on the curve ? I'm just going to have it running through a simple cutting.

Many thanks for all your advice and support, looking for a quick turnaround as I want to run trains !!!!

Actually excited at being in the attic again.

post-5554-0-55635900-1494957280_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-32092800-1494957296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 1

Pic 1 shows depot and the entry onto the layout from the fiddle yard

Pic 2 entry into curve after passing depot

Pic 3 top curve

Pic 4 curve back down other side of attic

Pic 5 what was the steelworks now to be the coal loading site, and on the right the track to the other fiddle yard.

Thanks.

post-5554-0-99550200-1494957888_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-58395300-1494957915_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-97868600-1494957931_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-35396200-1494957944_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-80042000-1494957965_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

WOW Leon, what a shocker, still if your not happy as I wasn't with my last couple of projects, it has to go, hence my Kingsley Road.

It's given you good service and enjoyment, and hopefully the next project will do the same.

Will you be starting a new Thread / Name?

All the best, and I'll be watching with interest.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Could it be double track at one end, and single at the other, giving you the possibility of trains stopping on the scenic section waiting for another going the other way to clear the single line?  Especially if the line were host to diverted main line workings.  If it is double track though, the coal sidings at the bottom of your drawing would be facing points directly from a running line, which tends to be avoided.  

• Like 1