Leon

I made them from the "Sale" signs you see on lamposts, or House sale signs, really easy to cut with a knife, light weight and seem to have that metal modern corrigated look, plus there free if you find them...!

Your kidding me ??? They look great. They have a real corrugated look to them, that's why I thought that they are maybe plasticard or something. I'll have to be on the look out for For Sale signs now. lol

Can anybody help with the photo on page 5 ? I wanted to model the train shown at some point. All the well wagons I have seen seem old, in this pic they seem quiet modern. Is this the case and does anyone know what they are and If I can get them ?

Thanks

Leon.

Can anybody help with the photo on page 5 ? I wanted to model the train shown at some point. All the well wagons I have seen seem old, in this pic they seem quiet modern. Is this the case and does anyone know what they are and If I can get them ?

Thanks

Leon.

Looks can be deceptive.. The wagons are 'Warwells' built from 1942 onwards, and rebogied in the 1980s. Genesis Models do a kit:-

http://www.genesiskits.co.uk/

The working photographed is probably to Haverfordwest for Castlemartin Ranges.

The working photographed is probably to Haverfordwest for Castlemartin Ranges.

Leon,

Search You Tube for the videos and stills of Bob/Rob Masterman, most of which was/were shot in South Wales. He has a number of clips of the MOD trains to and from West Wales, and also footage of the wagons being shunted by a Cl.66 at Haverfordwest.

I can thoroughly recommend his site, especially Cardiff and the Valleys during the 1960s with green, and early blue DMU's - especially under the overall roof at Cardiff Queen St. not to mention lots of Cl.37s in green and check out the pics of Cardiff Long Dyke and Newtown Goods.

Brian R

A few more pics of the branch along side the steelworks from the docks im working on still. Been adding some grass from International Models here in Wales...

At the mo I only seem to have half hour here and there which really doesnt work well. Need a few full days..

post-5554-12663556511526_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12663557664239_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12663558019945_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Leon,

Fantastic piccies matey!! Really like your graffiti that does look real cool!! wonder who done that?? laugh.gif

You got some fantastic rolling stock and locos, and looking at them the Kadee couplings should fit in them all no problem wink.gif You will have hours of fun ones you get them biggrin.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

Cut the track to size in the fuel point area this evening ready to be wired up live on Friday. The inspection pit is also ready to be sunk. Once the track is fixed down and wired I will start to concrete then contsruct the sheds and fuel storage tanks. he shed area will consist of 5 tracks, one for fuel TTA's, two for the service shed, and fuel, one for stabling of two locos and one "overgrown" for any depot wagons.

Need to crack on as an inspection platform is on the way.

Till next time.

post-5554-126696099929_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126696103941_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12669610825_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent work there Leon. I'm not sure how I've managed to miss this one but delighted to come across it this evening. I spent more than 25 years working with freight trains across in Yorkshire and your modelling skills and attention to detail certainly captures the mood as I remember it. You've really made great use of the space available to you and it all looks very spacious and uncluttered. If I were you I'd be very tempted to stick with the sector liveries - you don't need any 66's!

Sadly I don't have the room available to build a layout indoors and so I am resigned to the garden but at least it allows me the opportunity to run some lengthy freight. After reading through your entire thread I can't wait for the weather to improve so that I can get back out there. I'll be keeping a watch on how you progress so keep up the great work.

Mick

Those low relief factory units make a very effective backscene and I like your choice of colours however, the shot of the Corus building, the one looking down onto the roof, is particularly pleasing to me and very realistic. I had to retrace back through the thread to see why I hadn't noticed it so clearly before. Just needs the usual clutter about the yard area. Do you intend to do anything about the crossing adjacent to the Corus building? I assume that is intended as the entrance for the road vehicles and what with health & safety regulations as they are, road vehicles and diesel loco's don't tend to mix very well in such environments. I would imagine there would be something along the lines of a simple barrier that was manually lowered or perhaps you have something more sophisticated in mind? I only have experience of colliery yards where they tended to make do with a simple barrier lowered by the colliery staff to prevent access to road vehicles when trains were about. Used to get some very disgruntled lorry drivers!

Leon (sorry to hijack your thread) and 'alleras'

I also found these shots taken over a 15 years period, that show, in out of the way places H & S signage hasn't quite caught up.

The older photo was taken circa 1990 and shows a Canton 08 running light from the Cardiff Rod Mill to the Queen Alexandra Dock to collect empty BDA wagons. It is negotiating the swingbridge that crosses the lock seperating the Roath Dock (to the right) and Roath Basin (to your left).

As far as I recall there were no signs warning motorists to look out for trains, but there were lights to stop cars and trains when the bridge was open to allow vessels access to Roath Basin. !

This line closed a short time later and trains had to run to Tidal and reverse in order to make the same journey.

The second photo shows 08689 returning to Tidal after dropping TEA tanks at the now mothballed 'Minimet' oil terminal located on the Cardiff docks 'foreshore'.

The loco is crossing Cold Stores Road (yep that's what it's called) without protection for road traffic entering the Coastal Containers terminal which is on the south arm of the Queen Alexandra dock.

The driver has a clear view in this direction, so just blasts his horn/whistle and crawls across.

The shot of 08653 taking TEA tanks from Tidal to 'Minimet' shows the rear of the cold stores and highlights the blind junction for trains travelling in the opposite direction - hence the shunter climibing aboard after seeing the train out.

08653 had been delayed as it was required to top 'n' tail an excurison from Tidal to 'the foreshore' earlier and the tanks would have been taken out in the morning, not as here at about 3.00pm on a Saturday.

There is a small stop sign to the right of the train, intended for loco drivers.

The yellow hatched markings are so that lorries queuing to enter Coastal Containers don't obstruct the crossing - little chance of that these days, even their rail traffic has disappeared and the only trains out here now are 66s on emtpy BAA/BBA wagons running around on 'the foreshore' so the loco can be at the front when returning to Tidal and Llanwern with slabs loaded at Fletchers Wharf on the south arm of the Roath Dock.

The cold stores could be one of your buildings Leon - altho steel traffic offers some rail business, whereas cold meat ???????

Hope these are of interest.

Brian

post-1599-126734989316_thumb.jpg

post-1599-126734991753_thumb.jpg

post-1599-126734993747_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Those low relief factory units make a very effective backscene and I like your choice of colours however, the shot of the Corus building, the one looking down onto the roof, is particularly pleasing to me and very realistic. I had to retrace back through the thread to see why I hadn't noticed it so clearly before. Just needs the usual clutter about the yard area. Do you intend to do anything about the crossing adjacent to the Corus building? I assume that is intended as the entrance for the road vehicles and what with health & safety regulations as they are, road vehicles and diesel loco's don't tend to mix very well in such environments. I would imagine there would be something along the lines of a simple barrier that was manually lowered or perhaps you have something more sophisticated in mind? I only have experience of colliery yards where they tended to make do with a simple barrier lowered by the colliery staff to prevent access to road vehicles when trains were about. Used to get some very disgruntled lorry drivers!

Hello alleras,

Thanks for taking time to comment on my layout and Im glad you like the steelworks. I do intend to add more "clutter" and atmospher. Funny you should mention the colour of the buildings, to keep costs down Im making do with spray paints I already have in the house..Im not sure if this will work when I come to build the servicing shed in the depot area as all I have left now is Silver !..We will see.

As for the road crossing it was intended for lorries only, not as a general acsess to the steelworks, I have got the various H&S sinage to go up before the crossing. I did not think of a barrier, however I will know consider this. The area and adjoining track is for loading/unloading from rail to road, hence the lorries, Its copying a scene I often see along Ocean Way, Cardiff of lorries qued up.

Intially I did want to model a South Wales Collery as I think there is no better sight than a pair of 37's with a rake of HAA's but I would have be limited to just coal trains.

Once again I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I welcome any advice.

Thanks

Leon.

Hi Alleras,

Looking at this picture now I do think some sort of barrier would work well, maybe an old manual operated one but in a raised position ?

What do you think ? I could proberbly knock something up myself from odd bits of scrap.

post-5554-126735355148_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

Yes, I think a barrier would be quite suitable in that area. As for whether it's in a raised or lowered position that's entirely up to you and how you feel about driving across if the barrier is set against you :rolleyes: You could always make it capable of being operated but no doubt as in the real world, you'll end up driving across anyway while no-ones looking.

Some kind of warning signs as depicted earlier would also be an option or in addition to the barrier or perhaps even just the hatched squares. Personally I'd go for the barrier because that's what I remember and it's what made me think that if they had them among the mess and muck of a pit yard then they'd have them on other similar works rail crossings too.

Mick

hi leaon, what a fantastic layout, i like the fact that the actual railway is not over crowding the scenery and buildings if you know what i mean  :blink:

the corus complex is amazing, some great buildings and details added and a very nice loco fleet.

This is really smart and im looking forward to seeing the depot area progress if its like the rest of your building work its going to be cracking

regards

neil

• Like 1