Leon

Simon,

IIRC 09013 arrived at Canton from the SR in the late 80s, and in March, 1989 was still in standard BR blue. It was repainted grey in the early early 90s and was definitely in grey livery by Oct. 1999, whilst at Margam.(IIRC RailEx magazine 'may' have covered the livery in one of their 'Retrospectrum' series, which would have the actual repaint date).

The BR(SR) high level brake piping was removed from this loco by Nov. 2003, and by which time it had been spruced up, with what appeared to be a new coat of grey, and a dark grey bonnet and cab roof. It had also lost the Canton depot plaques and acquired gold coloured EWS 'beasties' logos on the cab and bonnet sides. From 2003 until at least 2007 the loco was used in the South West, around Plymouth mainly.

The loco once carried the name 'Val' for some time, after Val Newman, a fitter at Canton.

Brian R.

PS

Good Luck Leon.

Leon, you are making great progress, I like the sub sector locos, I need some myself.

Looking forward to seeing the 09's transformation.

as you have already been told by many, you have definately achieved the South Wales feel.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Leon,

I haven't posted for a while but I am still watching your progress, the loco depot is looking good. Sorry about the job I amsure somthing else will turn up, meantime you can crack on with the layout.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Simon,

IIRC 09013 arrived at Canton from the SR in the late 80s, and in March, 1989 was still in standard BR blue. It was repainted grey in the early early 90s and was definitely in grey livery by Oct. 1999, whilst at Margam.(IIRC RailEx magazine 'may' have covered the livery in one of their 'Retrospectrum' series, which would have the actual repaint date).

The BR(SR) high level brake piping was removed from this loco by Nov. 2003, and by which time it had been spruced up, with what appeared to be a new coat of grey, and a dark grey bonnet and cab roof. It had also lost the Canton depot plaques and acquired gold coloured EWS 'beasties' logos on the cab and bonnet sides. From 2003 until at least 2007 the loco was used in the South West, around Plymouth mainly.

The loco once carried the name 'Val' for some time, after Val Newman, a fitter at Canton.

Brian R.

PS

Good Luck Leon.

Thanks

Simon

Thank you very much Claggy, and thanks David and others for the job wishes.

Cleggy. Opperation wise, I am going to break it into three areas for a potential three opperators. Fiddle yards at each end of the layout. The shorter wall of the attic is were the main curved yard is and can be worked by one shunter, readying trains and moving wagons to the wagon wks/depot & docks as needed. There are also two sidings in the yard I have used to stable departmental stock and a much more overgrown siding that holds stored/withdrawn stock. I have yet to work out how much the 8 sidings in the yard can hold.

There is the depot area that could be opperated by a second person to fuel loco's etc and getting them ready for work, there is also an area for TTA's to be unloaded for the depots fuel tanks, the depot has 5 roads in total an can hold up to 12 locos.

At the other end is a steelworks which hides the branch to a hidded docks/fiddle yard. I thought that having a pretend dock would add greatly to the types and amount of railfreight on the layout (takes away the fact its and end to end layout ish, the trains have a purpose and destination not just a fiddle yard to go to.). A third opperator could be in charge of the second 08/09 docks and steelworks shunter, tasked with tripping wagons from the docks to the yard & steel transhipment shed or wagon works as required and also would be used to shunt the two sidings in the steelworks. I have loosely based the docks on Newport & Cardiff so am able to have a pristene EWS 66 .. just off the boat....

The fact that there is fiddle yard after the yard which acts as the docks means I am able to use mainline locos to pull heavier trains from the docks to the rest of the rail network, trains such as steel, coal, pretoleum, boxed wagons and timber etc. obviously any smaller trainloads would just be tripped down by either the yard or docks shunter.

I think at times and once I get more rolling stock I will opperate the sidings as "busy" full, and also on the "decline" empty..

I have also been trying to think of a way to have Intercity and RES Class 47's on the shed, Pasenger trains are imposible for the area modelled, maybe they could just stable/fuel there at peak times?????? However Im sure once on the net I seen a pic of a RES 47 at Ebbw Vale steelworks..?

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards

Leon.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Leon

Good to see you back in the saddle modelwise, but sorry to hear about the job and hope something turns up soon. Layout looking great and wouldn't mind being one of the operators one day.wink.gif

I have also been trying to think of a way to have Intercity and RES Class 47's on the shed, Pasenger trains are imposible for the area modelled, maybe they could just stable/fuel there at peak times?????? However Im sure once on the net I seen a pic of a RES 47 at Ebbw Vale steelworks..?

Apart from the times when anything could turn up on anything, (certainly on my railway anyhow!) think Southampton docks and boat trains! Obviously Cardiff/Newport is the new cruise ship port due to lack of space at Southampton with the massive expansion in this area. Boat trains could arrive from the North as well as Paddington via the GWML using all sorts of stock/loco combinations.wink.gif

Could do with some idea's from you guys,

The lenght of track in the corner next to the wagon works is going to have a motorway bridge over it to hide the corner and act as a backscene, (see pic earlier of class 60 & TTA). the track its on was just going to be a headshunt for the depot being long enough to back TTA's down to. Now though I am thinking about turning it into a second siding for the wagon works? or have it disapearing into a tunnel to give the impresion it goes somewhere..

Any thoughts, basically, do I put buffers on there or not...? lol

Cheers

Leon

Could do with some idea's from you guys,

The lenght of track in the corner next to the wagon works is going to have a motorway bridge over it to hide the corner and act as a backscene, (see pic earlier of class 60 & TTA). the track its on was just going to be a headshunt for the depot being long enough to back TTA's down to. Now though I am thinking about turning it into a second siding for the wagon works? or have it disapearing into a tunnel to give the impresion it goes somewhere..

Any thoughts, basically, do I put buffers on there or not...? lol

Cheers

Leon

Spare road for wagon works to me. somewhere to strore newly refurbished wagons on, e.g. nice shinny silver bullets!

Hiya Leon,

Great photos mate of your layout, it really is a fantastic layout, deffinetly captures the Industrial feel to it!

Sorry to hear about your job though mate, Im sure something will pop up!

All the best,

Georgie

Hello All,

After droping the wife and friends into town I poped my head into the atic armed with a beer, started off well until the 2nd beer...

Done some work on the M4 & A48 nearly ready for painting and road surface. Added some pics for you.

post-5554-128000969478_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000972244_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000974717_thumb.jpg

post-5554-1280009774_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000980141_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000984566_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000986637_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000989863_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000992601_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128000994292_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The weathering of the 09 has to be put on hold as the numbers and "Dick Hardy" name will not come off with thinners, going to have to paint over them I think.

Anyway here is a grubby 37 to be going on with. Pheeeew its hot in the atic.....

post-5554-12801717246_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, I hope it isn’t too long before something comes up.

You have made good progress with the depot it is looking really good. Love the steel works, always enjoy looking through your thread. I can just imagine the sector Grids and 60s idling on shed!

Loving all the sector locos, especially your petroleum 60! Yesterday I had to visit a model shop for some filler and spent a few minutes looking at 60062, I almost gave in and bought one but in the end resisted walking out empty handed!

Keep up the good work.

Lovely colours a textures in the ground, it looks spot on just like a yard.

Yesterday was pretty hot, horrible in my first floor room so I hate to think what it's like in the loft this time of year!

Enjoying this thread with much interest :)

Thanks for the wishes about the job guys, really nice. Not getting a huge amount of visable work done just yet as im waiting for my last payday to get paints and parts etc & maybe a redundancy pressy..., roll on Friday.

Need to get an airbrush with compressor I think, keep running out of propellant whilst weathering the track. The pair of 37 had the snowploughs fitted, just need weathering now and also added some sinage to the service shed.

All the best guys and thanks everbody, Leon.

post-5554-128030563127_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128030567067_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128030569476_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128030571565_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12803057478_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12803057911_thumb.jpg

post-5554-128030581785_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Need to get an airbrush with compressor I think, keep running out of propellant whilst weathering the track.

Looking great Leon. Did you read the article in Hornby mag about airbrushing? It mentioned an alternative method to compressors or cans was to use an old tyre / inner tube. You inflate it up to pressure then fit a connector that releases the pressure via the airbrush. When it runs down you just inflate the tyre again! Sounds like a cheap option.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi all. Dave love the idea, off to the shed to get my old wheels...

Need some help. As I have not run my locos much as Ive been building the layout I thought today I would run some in so I screwed an elastic band across the track and run my Hornby DCC fittted 56 against it. After about 15min it started to burn and smoke so I quickly removed it..after 20 min on the window sill cooling I tried it back on the layout hoping it was still alive..... It burst into life..... but, would not stop for anything.... The only way was to hit the STOP button on my Dynamis... would not respond to declatrating the speed. I have even deleted the loco and still everytime it touches the rails his whizzes off ! Have I cooked something? Any help would be great as I love this loco.... All the other loco's are working normaly. Sorry about bad spelling in a rush..

Thanks in advance

Leon...

Hmmm that's interesting. I have a DCC fitted 56 and that refused to work yesterday. It hadn't been run for a while and I even tried re-programming it. I haven't got round to having a proper look but I thought it's interesting that my 56 was playing up aswell...

I think the fact that i was running it against an elastic band prob didnt help, then the burning smell and smoke. Maybe I cooked the chip ????? I have a spare 8-pin somewhere I will try that.