D & A Models Ellesmere Port

QWILPEN

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I visited D &A models today in Enfield Road Ellesmere Port, Google maps

met the owners Dawn and Andy, the shop has been open for three weeks and has a selection of Hornby, Bachmann & scenic Items.

they seem like a realy nice couple and hopefully their shop wil do well.

Steve

ps

I have no relationship with this trader other than as a customer.

• 3 weeks later...

I was near by today so decided to take a bit of a detour and try and find the shop. The shop is sign posted from Whitby Road (At the junction near the KFC and McDonalds for those who know the area).

Unfortunately, the store was closed at approx 1330 hours with the shutters down, so not sure whether they were just closed for lunch or if they're closed on a Monday. The shop looks very good from the outside however.

I'll try again soon!

• 4 months later...

Hi.

This shop is now open on Sundays (Until Christmas ONLY) when parking is a lot easier!

The opening hours from their website...

Opening hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat 10-5 Closed Wed

December Mon, Tues, Fri and Sat 10-5 Thurs 10-8 Sun 11-4 Closed Wed

Home Page for D & A Models. (I think some construction is still being undertaken?)

http://www.dandamodels.com/

(No connection, but I hope to be a customer very soon!)

• 3 years later...

Saddley these guys have now closed down now... :cry:

I don't know if the owners are still doing "shows", as they were whilst the shop was open...

The shop has been closed a few months now....

One problem was parking as it is a Residents Permit Area, so 10 minutes in the road....the town centre car park (pay and display) is there, but Enfield Road (the shop) was away behind the "Market" and across the main Whitby Road....

Now there is Chester Model Centre....Upper Bridge Street Row, Chester. (The old Modelzone, once "Arts and Crafts Centre" shop in the Row level....)

Now there is Chester Model Centre....Upper Bridge Street Row, Chester. (The old Modelzone, once "Arts and Crafts Centre" shop in the Row level....)

And before that, it was in the Grosvenor "mall" with the wonky copper handrail leading down to the basement model shop area.

And before that, it was in the Grosvenor "mall" with the wonky copper handrail leading down to the basement model shop area.

"Oh yes, I remember it well!" ;)

Funny how the model part was downstairs in the "Arcade" (which now leads into the "Grosvenor Shopping Centre" Mall) and upstairs in the Rows! ;)

I grew up in "The Port" in the 70's and early 80's. No model railway shop then. I had to cycle to Chester. There was Arts and Crafts. I seem to remember a model railway shop in the then "new" market complex by the town hall. Still playing trains 40 years on!

I grew up in "The Port" in the 70's and early 80's. No model railway shop then. I had to cycle to Chester. There was Arts and Crafts. I seem to remember a model railway shop in the then "new" market complex by the town hall. Still playing trains 40 years on!

So, you didn't come across "Alpha Models" in Whitby Road, on the other side of the road from "The Knot" PH, and between there and the Bridge?

Sometime in the later 1980s, they had just about stopped Model Railways by then, I got a lot of bits and bobs that were left in a box at the back!

The shop in what is now "The Forum" in Chester was the last incarnation of "The Model Shop". By then owned by "Waltons of Altrincham", I think it last traded as "Waltons Model Shop"?

This was down the side of the ex "T.J. Hughes" store, now a "B&M Bargains" Store.

Apparently the rent went up too much, so Walton's shut up shop.

(The Model Shop went from Frodsham Street, to Northgate Street, to the "Forum", over the years.)

So, you didn't come across "Alpha Models" in Whitby Road, on the other side of the road from "The Knot" PH, and between there and the Bridge?

Sometime in the later 1980s, they had just about stopped Model Railways by then, I got a lot of bits and bobs that were left in a box at the back!

The shop in what is now "The Forum" in Chester was the last incarnation of "The Model Shop". By then owned by "Waltons of Altrincham", I think it last traded as "Waltons Model Shop"?

This was down the side of the ex "T.J. Hughes" store, now a "B&M Bargains" Store.

(The Model Shop went from Frodsham Street, to Northgate Street, to the "Forum", over the years.)

Was "Alpha Models" the one in a fork of the road, so it had two frontages? I never went there.  But I would always look in the shop in the "Forum" when I went to Chester (I'd forgotten all about that one!). I got my live steam "Rocket" there.....

Was "Alpha Models" the one in a fork of the road, so it had two frontages? I never went there.  But I would always look in the shop in the "Forum" when I went to Chester (I'd forgotten all about that one!). I got my live steam "Rocket" there.....

It could well be...on the corner of Whitby Road and the first road towards Whitby after Princes Road (The one by the bridge!) if it was....It was a while ago!.... ;)

Thank you for naming "The Model Shop" in The Forum.

I know the Knot but I'm struggling with Alpha Models. I have a vague memory of a model shop but I suspect no N gauge or if so after I left "The Port".

Cycling to Chester was good exercise. Bus fare saved meant a little more N gauge.

Thank you for naming "The Model Shop" in The Forum.

I know the Knot but I'm struggling with Alpha Models. I have a vague memory of a model shop but I suspect no N gauge or if so after I left "The Port".

Cycling to Chester was good exercise. Bus fare saved meant a little more N gauge.

As I said...Alpha Models had stopped dealing in model railways by the time I went there, late 198s I think, and all they had left was OO Gauge...so probably never had "N" in..... ;)

I remember  Alpha  Models  I used to  have  a look in  but  never  bought  anything, likewise  the  one  in  Heswall  RS Models,  I used to buy quite  a lot  from  Waltons in the  Forum  in Chester, if I remember  correctly  they  used to  have  a  sort of   half  day  closing  at  around  3-00 PM  on  A  thusrsday  most  awkward  sometimes,  and  of  course  i  occasionally  bought  Liliput products  from  The  Arts  &  Crafts  Centre,  in Chester, which  moved  around  the  corner  after  many  years,  and  then  sold   out to Modelzone  Now Chester model Centre

There  was  also  a  sort of Model Shop in Buckley  where  we  live!!  It  was  actually  a  washing  machine  repair  business, but  the  guy  dabbled in Model Railways  mostly second  hand, 0. 00 & N   he  was  connected  somehow  to  the  Brookside  Garden  Centre in  Poynton Cheshire,  which  has   (or Had) a lot  of  Railway interest   a model shop & miniature  railway. We   used to  live  quite  close to Poynton   before  we  emigrated  to  Wales!!!!!

Other Chester model sources...

Topper's Toys. This used to be on the right (looking from The Cross) of the top end of Watergate Street. Steet level, steps down. (Last I saw it was a Newsagents...) More the train set and extras, mainly if not only Hornby.

I cannot remember the name. Boughton. The shop in the "sharp end" of the tri-angular one way system, the front window would be looking down the road towards Chester (Eastgate). A model shop, also stocked RC boats, planes, etc if I remember correctly.

Chester Tri-ang Railways/ Tri-ang Hornby/ Hornby Railways Service Dealers (from lists in our collection) Not all personally remembered! ;)

The Model Shop. 43 Frodsham Street (C1958 - C1967)

The Model Shop 76 Northgate Street (1968- 1970s)

"Model Railways" 41 White Friars (1968-1969) (A side road of off Upper Bridge Street, on the right looking down from The Cross.

The Model Shop 37 The Forum (1977-1980s)

Walton's Model Shop 37 The Forum (1987-C1990)

I remember  the  one  on the  Triangle    it  was  more  associated  with  Radio Control  Aircraft  &  Cars,  only  visited that  one  a few  times  .

Now  then  on  to Wrexham    Hobby Corner on  the  outskirts,  closed  down  last  year  again  mostly   Aircraft  several  years  ago  i noted  a  Hornby  Class 101? DMU  3  car  set  £95.00! 

There was  a shop in the  town centre  area more or less opposite Tesco Extra site,  I had a G scale  loco on order  there  which never  materialised, and also  one in the peoples market  sold  00 & N gauge  in a limited  range  and  Jigsaw Puzzles  I think  he  gave up  on Railways eventually   I bought a few items  as the  prices  were excellent, ( he also  used  eBay a lot)

I think  we  have  now  lost  the  original  topic.

I think  we  have  now  lost  the  original  topic.

I think we have, but it's interesting nonetheless! Arts & Crafts in Chester is the one I remember the most clearly as I used to go there without fail whenever I was in the area (which was a lot since I lived a fifteen-minute walk away), even if it was just to stare at the models. In fact I still have a '91 Hornby catalogue with the shop stamp on the back of it! I remember being amazed the first time I noticed the Minitrix models in a display cabinet under the counter - my first encounter with N scale!

I remember discovering the model shop (Walton's, as I am now informed) in the Forum shopping centre and being rather surprised that I'd never noticed it before, as I went to the Gateway quite frequently on School / Beavers / Cubs outings in the early 90s. Sadly the next time I had the opportunity to go there it had disappeared, and before reading this thread I had in fact always wondered if my childhood imagination and memories were simply playing tricks on me, particularly as nobody else in my family can remember it! The thing that stuck in my mind about that shop was the cabinet with the entire Hornby "Thomas" range on display, with which 6-8 year-old me was most impressed (my recent post in the thread about the return of the Thomas range is indicative of just how much). I would imagine the rents went up around the time the Forum's nasty 70s frontage was knocked down and rebuilt in a far less aggressive and more modern style, which I think was in 1994, although Sarahagain's list (thanks for that!) seems to indicate it was a bit earlier. I was only five in 1990 so I'd wager it closed somewhere between 1992 and 1994.

Never got a chance to visit the one in Boughton but I remember spotting it from my dad's car when we were stopped in traffic, again at a rather young age. Quite a quirky place for a model shop, and not the best of location sitting in the middle of what is essentially a 30mph dual-carriageway! Didn't go to Wrexham very often when I was young but I remember Granny Midges, not a model shop by a long shot but you'd find the occasionnal Tri-ang / Hornby model in there. Last time I went to Wrexham the area had been completely redeveloped, anyone know if it's still there?

JB

Dont  think  it  is  !!  (ie  G  Midges)

You  wouldnt know  Wrexham  these days,  The  old  ASDA in Eagles  Meadow  went  some  years ago replaced it  with a new  store just  Nr  the  Police HQ, There  is  now  an  Eagles  Meadow  shopping  centre  Complete  with  a  Cinema & 10 pin  Bowling  centre,

Sadly  the  old  main shopping  centre  Regent  Street  ( where Woolworths used to be before  they  closed  down nationally)  is  a bit  run  down I am  afraid

Oh  and  the   Railway Terminus  for  the  Wrexham to Bidston line (for L'pool & Hattons) has a nice new  terminus  within   yet another shopping centre  Called  Island  Green, I think  they  called  it  that  because  the  site  is  a  bit  of an island  and  the  rooves are  ( or  were)  Green.  The station is  nothing more than a single line ending in buffers frequented  by  Cl 150s

Well we   have  definately  gone  off topic  now  apologies   to the OP

Perhaps we  need a  category  for  this   Days  Gone  By  theme!!??

Archived