Hornby 28XX/38XX - possible Ultrascale conversion wheel set

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

If you look on the Ultrascale website here, you can see that Ultrascale are asking whether there is any demand for a drop-in wheelset for the above loco.

I must admit that a P4 drop-in set would be very tempting, although I would hope that if there was sufficient demand, the possible price tag might come down a bit...

• RMweb Gold
I must admit that a P4 drop-in set would be very tempting, although I would hope that if there was sufficient demand, the possible price tag might come down a bit...

I would be interested Tim, and it would be nice if there was a slight reduction in price!

But I do understand that;

a, man needs to make a living,

b, they are much better than Gibson's and,

c, the price of raw materials for Nickel Silver has nearly doubled in the past few years.

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
Not at that price I don't think!

It is a lot of money, seeing that the loco costs less than the change of wheels, but the alternative isn't great (although a lot cheaper!). The Complete Set for a 28xx cost just shy of £90, would the customer be paying £30 for ready quartered wheels with the correct gear on an axle? And the other question is could the Complete Set be used for the Hornby conversion?

Regards,

Nick

Blimey possibly the first conversion set to cost more than kit building wheels?

I only paid £120 for my Finney kit with the wheels!

You'd have to bush the kit building wheels Nick for Hornby axles which I guess would be 3mm (ie smaller than 1/8inch). Or you wait for a Brassmasters kit to convert the chassis on this where you could fit 1/8inch bearings to their chassis.. (A1 style chassis.)

• RMweb Gold

As Nick has said, you have to pay for quality, and quality is what you get with Ultrascale. It's nevertheless a bit of a puzzle why the 'complete set' for a 57XX pannier is such a lot more than the equivilent set for a Bachmann pannier 'drop in' set, unless (which is what I suspect), there is an element of 'mass production' and possibly partial automation with the 'drop in' set.

Nonetheless, my preference is for Ultrascales, so I will give this due consideration. The best price on a 2884 class 2-8-0 I've seen is £87 on a pre-order from Hattons.

The next thing to consider I suppose is how well a Hornby chassis with 'drop in' wheels will perform on P4 track, as compared to a brass replacement chassis, where you can install compensation or springing to your own taste. Does the current Hornby chassis have any element of springing in it?

Nonetheless, my preference is for Ultrascales, so I will give this due consideration. The best price on a 2884 class 2-8-0 I've seen is £87 on a pre-order from Hattons.

If you don't mind sorting out the crest Modelzone have the GWR one for £83 http://www.modelzone.co.uk/gwr-class-280-3803.html Its worth reading the description too for a hilarious bit of poor interpretation of Wikipedia..

From what I remember of the one Brassmasters had it was pretty rigid and its got that dodgy extending pony truck system on it too. The cylinders need filling in as well.

• RMweb Gold

The next thing to consider I suppose is how well a Hornby chassis with 'drop in' wheels will perform on P4 track, as compared to a brass replacement chassis, where you can install compensation or springing to your own taste. Does the current Hornby chassis have any element of springing in it?

That I must say is my only real concern, has anyone converted one, or is the 8F perhaps the closest Hornby 2-8-0?.

I must confess I had a bit of a knew jerk reaction at the price, but seeing that the Nickel Silver doesn't rust and they are beautifully made, the price is tolerable! (Seeing that I don't moan at buying 5 books at £20 a pop, or the Times for £1 a day!)

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold
It's worth reading the description too for a hilarious bit of poor interpretation of Wikipedia..

GWR 2-8-0 ''3800'' Class Steam Locomotive DCC R

Hornby

Introduced in 1904, the Great Western Railway "3800" Class was designed to haul an express passenger service. This particular locomotive, the "3803" carried out its service on the Great Western Railway though out County Cork.

The GWR 2-8-0 ''3800'' Class Steam Locomotive comes In pristine Green and features extensive Cab detail. Digital Command Control Ready.

-Length 256mm

-Livery GWR

-Period 1904 Onwards

-Motor 5 pole skew wound. Loco drive

Unbelievable!

.....it would be nice if there was a slight reduction in price!

But I do understand that;

a, man needs to make a living,

b, they are much better than Gibson's and,

c, the price of raw materials for Nickel Silver has nearly doubled in the past few years.

Ultrascale prices are to UK-outline models what Teichmann and Witteyer prices are to German outline. It's just the UK market catching up with reality.

Archived