Class 85

Michael Delamar

that a very thorough bit of info from Bachmann so the roarers are on the way........good stuff although a May release now seems less likely and the June date would seem to be the month we actually lay our hands on them.

delamars photographs of these 85s just get better. is that a Gresley coach behind the loco on 1T61?

pleasing also to hear that there are no bogie issues to delay them afterall the original release date was March - where on earth does a rumour like that originate from when they are already in the middle of the ocean???

i am looking forward to reading up on the models in the modelling press next month.

go back a few pages regarding the 85 at Preston hauling a few milk wagons re; Swindon - Carlisle comment.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone and I am personally delighted that the 85's are on the way, but I did want to hear if that was indeed a rumour and are grateful to B'mann for a quick response which is in everyone's interest. the rumour is now quashed!

... is that a Gresley coach behind the loco on 1T61?

Interesting combo, whilst Gresleys certainly wandered a bit I wouldnt have thought they'd have been common behind AC electrics purely because of the unlikelihood of any being fitted with ETH (as happened to the 'domestic' Staniers). As the caption says, it could well be a test train (as suggested by the T headcode and which wouldnt require heating), but it's intriguing to speculate where the stock has come from. The second vehicle is clearly a Mk1, so it's probably not a full rake that has been sidelined for such use.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting combo, whilst Gresleys certainly wandered a bit I wouldnt have thought they'd have been common behind AC electrics purely because of the unlikelihood of any being fitted with ETH (as happened to the 'domestic' Staniers). As the caption says, it could well be a test train (as suggested by the T headcode and which wouldnt require heating), but it's intriguing to speculate where the stock has come from. The second vehicle is clearly a Mk1, so it's probably not a full rake that has been sidelined for such use.

Just had a quick look in my copy of Ian Allan's 'British Rail Headcodes' (undated, but it cost 4/6!).

'T' on the LM does indeed indicate "Excursion and special trains local to LMR". In the LM section, there are lists of route indicating codes using the last two digits, but it isn't clear (to me anyway) when these were used as such rather than indicating individual train numbers; anyway, one of the indications for '61' under 'Manchester Division' is given as "Crewe or Chelford and Manchester (Piccadilly) via Styal", which seems to make some kind of sense.

The photo is not very clear, but to me the Gresley looks like it could be a BG rather than a passenger vehicle. I'm basing this on what looks like double vents above a double door 6 or 7 panels in from the ends and a single door in the middle. I agree with NINJA, its probably a parcels train so ETH wouldn't be a factor. There also appears to be a brake van in front of the MK1. According to an ex-railwayman friend of mine this was common practice in parcels trains to give the guard a vehicle with a stove for heating to ride in.

Jeremy

Just had a quick look in my copy of Ian Allan's 'British Rail Headcodes' (undated, but it cost 4/6!).

'T' on the LM does indeed indicate "Excursion and special trains local to LMR".

Cheers Steve, I'm never sure about 'T', as to whether it was just for test trains; it might have been later on, as I recall 'L' being used for internal LM excursions in the 1970s.

The photo is not very clear, but to me the Gresley looks like it could be a BG rather than a passenger vehicle.

We're talking about a different picture Jeremy :) Ninja's pic is definitely a BG, I wouldnt argue that - the other Gresley is in Mike's post #203

I've seen photos in various books on the AC electrics of the early types hauling all sorts of pre-Nationalization stock including passenger carrying vehicles of Thompson, Gresley, Stanier and Hawksworth design, although all the photos were taken in the summer so probably didn't require heat. That said, there were also a number of steam heating vans used for a while where non-ETH stock was hauled by AC electrics particularly on inter-regional trains.

A couple of shots of E3063 (85008) at Crewe in 1961'

It appears to be as new so must be about October 1961

post-1161-0-62063100-1335779701.jpg

post-1161-0-89363200-1335779705.jpg

• Like 7

While looking through my old pictures to scan for Flickr I have found a few more 85s

post-7081-0-34997000-1335784769_thumb.jpg

85012 works a vacuum braked freight northbound through Warrington Bank Quay, 14/6/83

post-7081-0-94884000-1335784785.jpg

At Lancaster 85026 has a train of what appear to be tube wagons as it passes heading north, 10/7/84

post-7081-0-05372400-1335784812_thumb.jpg

85001 calls at Nuneaton while working a Euston - Carlisle relief, 7/9/84

cheers

• Like 5