Class 85

Michael Delamar

I hadn't realised any 85s had run with air tanks on the roof with pre-TOPS numbers. In August 1973 I'd just left my old primary school which was right next door to the Trent Valley line at Handsacre so I remember seeing these additions on the roof of the early AC loco types as they passed by the school grounds (a group of us used to sit by the fence at the top of the sports field whenever we could) but my memories are of them all having the "new fangled" numbers. Just proves that a reference photo is worth a thousand memories!

• Like 1

A review is now out in Railway Modeller magazine for the electric blue version. The photos of this model are lovely.

All very positive comments although the article did spend a bit too much time telling us about the history of the loco rather than the model of it.

Switches underneath for DC control of lights and independent control of interior lighting on DCC which I believe only the Deltics had up until now for both cabs which is really how it should be on all the locos and I dare say this will come through over time. Lots of extra detailing parts included.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 3

Well, I suspect I will have to get one from Bachmann, and back date it to this condition.

post-506-0-54471700-1336752210_thumb.jpg

85007 at... (well no prizes to Mr Delamar for correctly identifying the location)

Edited by bigd
  • Like 1

tricky to rework the models to TOPS spec with the full headcode panel.

i guess the choices are to take a TOPS version and chop out for the headcode panel fit and repaint it or take a pre-TOPS blue version with headcode panel, renumber, remove the crests and apply BR arrows but then youd need to source the air reservoirs for the roof. youve still got the drip rails in the cab roof to contend with-these need filling and painting. not sure which is the lesser of two evils really.

i'm all for a bit of modelling but theres a bit too much going on there cosmetically for my skills or time (lack of).

im sure its only a matter of time before we see this in RTR form as most of the work seems to have been covered its just a case of mix and match at the factory although whether the cab roofs of 31-678 can be swapped onto the 31-677 bodyshell that has the 4 digit headcode is another matter entirely. i imagine the cabs are complete units so that maybe the only fly in the ointment if Bachmann havent already catered for this with their tooling designs.

lets face it though i dont think the locos were around for very long in this guise relative to those now being released.

Guest jim s-w

Eh?

Just fill the marker lights, file flat and paint it. How hard can it be? (unless you want lights which you couldn't see in real life anyway)

No reason to make a mountain from a mole hill

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

I don't think lights are needed behind headcode blinds because you couldn't see whether or not they were lit during daylight. I have been removing the lights from the Somerford fleet of Peaks, Brush 4s, Hymeks, D6300s, etc., because they are far too bright.

Why model what you can't see?

Geoff Endacott

• Like 4