Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

Guest Max Stafford

Strikes me as being an unusual thing to see at Wemyss Bay - anyone any idea what it was doing there?

Regular crew training route for Shields Road. It's rumoured that on one such occasion, 115mph was achieved on the riverside section near Langbank.

Dave.

• Like 3

Regular crew training route for Shields Road. It's rumoured that on one such occasion, 115mph was achieved on the riverside section near Langbank.

I didnt know the McCann was passed on AC electrics :sungum:

• Like 1

As regards Clydeside locations, I've the feeling I've seen a shot of one on the erstwhile electric hauled Ayr-Euston (via Glasgow C) Intercity service.

Can't seem to find said photo though.

As regards Clydeside locations, I've the feeling I've seen a shot of one on the erstwhile electric hauled Ayr-Euston (via Glasgow C) Intercity service.

Correct as they would have travelled these metals as far as Paisley Gilmour Street before heading south. The Royal Scot service to Euston ran from Ayr for a short time although I cant recall seeing roarers on these services - this one in particular was timed for 110mph anyway from Glasgow and so tended to be Class 87 or 90 hauled.

that said how about this photo - a roarer on the very service you mentioned!

Ayr: 85022 passing depot with 0845 Ayr - London Euston 04-06-1988

I can well believe the 115mph on the Wemyss Bay line as it does have some lengthy stretches of straight track.

A real shame few people took interest enough to film them more at these stranger locations.

I recall seeing a photograph of a Class 85 at Hazel Grove another 25kV AC outpost where you wouldnt expect to find main line machines - I believe it was testing out the recently energised overheads in readiness for the mundane emu units.

Dave.

There is a little bit more to this

The Footplate staff were based at Polmadie/Glasgow Central. Shields Road was the Electric TMD, but no crews were based there as such. There were 3 Shifts for Shed Crews (Double-manned) working there each day, (Driver and Secondman), but these were Polmadie men. (Morris Ital Van from Polmadie to Shields Road).

A lot of the Driver posts at Polmadie were filled by Drivers from other Glasgow Depots, such as Hyndland etc. Although these weren't actual promotions, the money was indeed the same, the Jobs were more varied and saught after, because they included Loco Hauled Jobs, and the Carlisle - Preston corridor, which the EMU Depots didn't have. This in turn gave more money because of the Mileage Payments which the DMU/EMU depots didn't get.

This was very common in the larger cities of England &c to move around from Depot to Depot to get a more elite Drivers position.

As regards the crew Training which Dave mentioned, the Electric Loco training course was done at Polmadie Training School. (3 weeks conversion). 1 week Classroom, 1 week Theory (which was a combination of Classroom/Shed, and 1 week Practical (driving).

The Basic Training on Electric Traction was the Class 85. (as per the Class 47 for the MP12 Course). Later there would be several conversion courses for each of the other Classes eg. 81 - 3 days, 86/87 - 5 days etc. etc. etc.

Of course, when it came to the Practical (driving), which was the last week, you would just saunter over to Polmadie Shed with the Instructor, and he would ask the Gaffer for whatever was Stabled On-shed and available at the time, always looking for an 85, which there usually was, but sometimes an 81, or something else, but rarely an 87.

Because of the familiarity with the routes around the Strathclyde PTE for the incoming crews, then these were the usual routes on which the Practical was undertaken as per the photos posted.

Edited by Lokomotivfuhrer
  • Like 7

Thanks for the heads up, I was betting on a Railfreight 85 or a Network Southeast MLV as the next Bachmann Collectors' Club model. I see they also have a GE Services Autoballaster in in the wagon list.

Edited by Matabiau

It was probably on Fotopic...

I don't know if this has been posted before, but started searching for photos of the Sealink coaches, and found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63797212@N02/6945306421/

• Like 3

Bachmann collector club latest loco http://Bachmann-coll...oducts.php?id=1 as preserved by http://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/

Mark

http://mark5812.smugmug.com/

while Im not a big fan of the livery on the real loco, I hope and think it could be a good seller for Bachmann, collectors should snap that up for the rarity and also I think the livery application on the model looks superb.

Id be interested to know how the real loco is getting along, hope to see it back on the mainline soon

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

85and81atBNS.jpg

Bachmann 85 and a heavily rebuilt trix 81. There must be something likt 50 years between these 2 models.

I have all the 85s and 81s I need for the layout but converting an 85 shouldn't be all that difficult really. Who's going to be first to have a go? :)

Cheers

Jim

• Like 7

Guest jim s-w

Bachmann with a bit of luck...

Doesn't anyone want to create anything for themselves these days? judging from the line in your sig perhaps you should tweak it to DEMU - RTR at its best! :)

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

85and81atBNS.jpg

Bachmann 85 and a heavily rebuilt trix 81. There must be something likt 50 years between these 2 models.

I have all the 85s and 81s I need for the layout but converting an 85 shouldn't be all that difficult really. Who's going to be first to have a go? :)

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Wastn't the Bachmann 81 to that odd hybrid scale (3.8mm/ft, IIRC) that Trix used on other stock, such as their Western and coaches? If so, did you stretch it in all directions? However you did it, it looks good.

Doesn't anyone want to create anything for themselves these days? judging from the line in your sig perhaps you should tweak it to DEMU - RTR at its best! :)

Cheers

Jim

Cheers

Jim

Because I have enough projects on the go at the moment to last me till 2030.

I still haven't finished my Leyland Cruiser...

Simon

• Like 1

Jim,

Wastn't the Bachmann 81 to that odd hybrid scale (3.8mm/ft, IIRC) that Trix used on other stock, such as their Western and coaches? If so, did you stretch it in all directions? However you did it, it looks good.

The 81 originated with Lilliput before being incorporated into the Trix range and is a true 4mm to the ft model., not 3.8.