Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

I must admit that this is high on my wish list, as until the Class 85, I have at least one example of the available RTR electrics for my 1970's ish blue era layout. But my budget only stretches to cheap second hand locos so I may have to wait awhile...

As an aside I have decided that my catenary should be relatively easy to remove, as this has two advantages:

1. I do not have to complete everything prior to installation of the catenary, so it does not have to be the last thing done - which is just as well as if it was it might never be built!

2. It can be removed for track cleaning, maintenance etc.

Looks great Stuart, it's always nice to see someone else get something positive out of my postings :)

Cheers

Jim

Yes thanks for the tips on the paint colour (Humbrol 29) and bogie frame removal Jim.

Big thanks to Andi re the pantograph modification though and of course Cav - who I will be borrowing his idea from for those dark greasy buffers :)

If a few others out there benefit from one or two of my little ideas then cool. The bent bodyside grille louvre illusion is one of the easiest to conjour up with the aid of a flat screwdriver! Most of the 85s seems to have copped for this damage during their lives.

The actual weathering was not only easier than first envisaged but very theraputic too ! And some people say its a dark art!

Edited by ThaneofFife

Interesting paint job on the wiper arms=blue above the roof line and grey/silver below. Not seen that before.

The lead loco has only just stayed under the contact wire too if it arrived under its own power. Never knew Garston docks even had a 25kv stabling facility....

I havent seen anyone here fit lamp irons above the buffers on their 85s, something I am contemplating, but they could foul the body-they do sit very close and I suspect are in such a position as to be easily broken off if not handled with real care. Mine are currently in the experimental stages!

Edited by ThaneofFife

any Rmwebbers who have gone for E3056 have any pics?

some more prototype inspiration..

5096876407_c19194a4a2_b.jpg

85011 & 25248 Cockshute 3.10.80 by D9006, on Flickr

4134816922_0a10c3055b_b.jpg

85001 Manchester Piccadilly by 74009, on Flickr

6123392182_8e1c9ba164_b.jpg

85001 ( & 31296 ) . Between Wolverton and Castlethorpe . Thursday 07th-November-1985 by AndrewHA 's appearances here will be spasmodic ., on Flickr

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 1

rails site says its not in stock and on order.

It was showing as in stock over the weekend, looks like they may have made a mistake and corrected it since. Oh well will have to wait a little longer.

I had the same email from Hattons as well as one that said it was due to arrive on Wednesday 26th June, I also got in touch with Bachmann who replied that the AL5 would be sent out this week, so lets hope they are right. I can't take the suspense at my age :O Also I Came across this published in 1983, can't believe I have had this for 29 years. (Hope it's alright to put a picture of this on here!)

John

post-7669-0-09354600-1340730208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Has anybody put any sound in one yet? If so, what type of speaker did you use?

I bought 1 at the weekend that came with a LS 4.0 - 50334 - 20 x 40 x 10.0mm (i think) and was told it would fit. As far as i can see it's too tall so i've swapped it for the slightly smaller 20 x 40 x 8.0mm, however this still seems too tall for me.

I have taken out the black plastic 'holder' from the centre of the chassis to increase the depth but it's still not enough!

Have i missed anything?

Thanks

Has anybody put any sound in one yet? If so, what type of speaker did you use?

I bought 1 at the weekend that came with a LS 4.0 - 50334 - 20 x 40 x 10.0mm (i think) and was told it would fit. As far as i can see it's too tall so i've swapped it for the slightly smaller 20 x 40 x 8.0mm, however this still seems too tall for me.

I have taken out the black plastic 'holder' from the centre of the chassis to increase the depth but it's still not enough!

Have i missed anything?

Thanks

Legomanbiffo has fitted these so he should know the best speaker options/modifications. Suggest contacting him. Charlie

Legomanbiffo has fitted these so he should know the best speaker options/modifications. Suggest contacting him. Charlie

I've sorted it now.

Looked at it again this morning, and by prising out the speaker from the chamber it came in, the speaker then fitted nicely in the cradle (black plastic 'holder').

Thanks