Class 85

Michael Delamar

Also got me confirmation email today for me this is the the most eagerly awaited model Ive been over a model since DELTIC

Ive always wanted one of these beauties since I read Graham Clark's article in Practical Model Railways March 86

I've built a couple based on Graham's article, but using a Hornby 86 instead of the leftovers from an 86/1 conversion (Hornby 86 body on a Lima 87 chassis).

Incidentally, the diorama used in the series is in storage in my railway room, and will be making an appearance when my AL5 arrives...

• Like 1

Having bought mail order through his web site and telephone, I can reccomend him for service and competitive prices, worth keeping an eye on his web page, not dealt with him via ebay. Other vendors are available ...

It's good that you can put the positive side here Paul, from what I'm told the poor bloke is getting some quite undeserved slating just for running a business. All hidden away where no-one can have the right to reply, it's just not cricket, is it.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

Having bought mail order through his web site and telephone, I can reccomend him for service and competitive prices, worth keeping an eye on his web page, not dealt with him via ebay. Other vendors are available ...

I brought an item from them last month, can't fault their service at all and the next day delivery was excellent value.

It's not like they're selling a limited edition model from the Collectors Club or one that was supposedly limited to one per customer, as more unscrupulous sellers have done in the past.

• Like 3

Guest jim s-w

Well one is! - note the very long shadows - the shot is obviously quite late in the day (and its under exposed) so the effect of the light is exagerated. I am not saying it wouldnt be visible because it would - just not a clearly visible to the naked eye as the shot makes out.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Perhaps Micheal but the plank is retired (and its at my parents house) - I am not sure I would be all that happy with the standard of the OLE on it these days. Things move on...

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An AC EMU would be nice next.

Carl

Hi Carl,

Nice pics

I'll bring my 350 for a spin....... :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

The latest edition of Model Rail magazine could help in changing the features on the 85 to allow independent control of the corridor lights and cab lights (and possibly the tail lights if you prefer the convenience of a function key rather than using the switch below the roof).

Electronics arent my best suit but I would like to investigate use of the ESU 51968 21 pin board as suggested in the mag. When time allows I will have a stab at this as it only cost £12 for the board. It does seem a shame that the corridor lights and cab lights all come on together but I dont want this minor point to detract from the fine model that it is.

Its a 3 on the "Difficulty Rating" out of 5 so id be disappointed if I couldnt manage this.

Awe no! I've got an electric blue one on order , but the tops one looks particularly nice . Too tempting...................

I think this will be a major smash. I hope so . Well done Bachmann. Can we get a 25kv EMU next year?

Rather have an 81 first..........

Looking forward to collecting mine from the PO tomorrow..............now where did I put that that wagon diagram for the Runcorn ICI charter bogie opens.......?

Hate to admit it folks but the 85 needs some serious weathering including the front and roof areas, which is in keeping with the real locos, I'm too young to remember the pristine ones!! Still waiting for mine to be delivered, then will get it professionally weathered I think.

Has anyone managed to switch off the Cab Lights / (Engine Room) Lights without having to remove the body like 87101 has?

A bit wary of using an "awl" on thru the roof panel, and you need X-ray vision to see the switches. If anyone has a better recommendation?

BTW Carl and 87101, excellent infrasctructures on both your layouts. 87101 - a couple of your shots esp. the 1st few are very New Yard esque.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. The loco needed tweeking slightly to enable it to run on my layouts as all my other AC's have fixed pans. The pan head on the 85 was angled anyway so the pan mods corrected this. The springs have been removed and put in a safe place. The corridoor lights were too bright so I gave them a thin coat of black acrylic paint to tone them down a bit. As I prefer my locos running pan first I swapped the cab interiors over so that the driver was at the right end. He also had a touch of paint to his head as he looked like a ninja in a hoodie! The loco now looks much better when running on the layout. Well done Bachmann for producing a first class AC loco. Hopfully by the time I get round to building Kidsgrove in N gauge the 85 will be in the farish range.

Long before receiving my 85s I had the idea of adding this nice easy little addition (if the space allowed - and it does by the way, but only just) to complete the look inside one of the 85s equipment room windows - the large pipework was/is a key visible feature on these locos as most of you will know.

I simply took a short length of 1mm brass rod and formed the pipe after looking at various photographs (the pipework is not straight, that would be too easy), painted it rail grey then glued into position making sure the central part of the rod was raised slightly with space behind it. The rod was about 18mm long so that the ends are not visible through the window to make the pipe look convincing. Rather than the rod being flat it was bent to sit slightlyd raised off the back of the chassis block. The rod cannot be raised any higher than the mould of the exhauster because refitting the bodyshell would be compromised. The photohgraphs seem to show this pipe sitting a bit lower and because of the thickness of the flush glazing in the model you cannot run the brass rod over the exhauster as the body will not sit back down correctly but I think its a close as one could hope to get and a 1mm rod cant be far off from scale size either (3 inches or so sounds about right).

The result I feel is well worth it and all my 85s will be "tweaked" the same way.

Like Dave I have to agree that out of all the 85s lighting features those corridor lights are far too bright and although I may go with painting over the LEDs I am also looking at a slightly different approach to reducing the illumination so if that pans out OK I will get some more photos posted. One can of course try changing CV63 from 7 to 0 for starters. Good for the sealed beam headcode markers and tails but the corridor remains overly bright.

85012.jpg

85017.jpg

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1