Tonbridge MRC 31st exhibition Saturday 18th February

ColinW

More feedback for you Colin. The club and its members were at all times very friendly and helpful. We had just the right level of contact with exhibition officials giving us assistance and checking everything was ok. Compares very well to some shows where we see nobody all weekend (yes this has happened more than once) and have to play hide and seek regarding expenses. Well done chap.

Thank you Chris, I shall pass this onto our members on Thursday night. As you say there are some shows where you may see no one at all during the show, but this also has a detrimental affect in the future as people become reluctant to bring layouts (obviously very important to exhibitions) or to return as paying members of the public. We are grateful to all the exhibitors who are willing to travel long distances, and bring their layouts, especially to a one day show like ours.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

More feedback for you Colin. The club and its members were at all times very friendly and helpful. We had just the right level of contact with exhibition officials giving us assistance and checking everything was ok.

I would like to echo this comment on behalf of the East Grinstead Town team, with special thanks to Dave Medhurst who did a good impersonation of a Sirius Cybernetics Corporation door as we unloaded in the morning.

We had a very good day with lots of interested and knowledgeable visitors.

Well done and many thanks.

I would like to echo this comment on behalf of the East Grinstead Town team, with special thanks to Dave Medhurst who did a good impersonation of a Sirius Cybernetics Corporation door as we unloaded in the morning.

We had a very good day with lots of interested and knowledgeable visitors.

Well done and many thanks.

Thank you Dave, glad you enjoyed the show, and I shall pass your comment onto Dave.

Colin

Colin,

I'm not sure how we came to discuss your show on another thread! A good show in 2012 with, I believe, increased numbers through the door. My feeling for 2012, bases on a sample of three shows, is that numbers are holding up.

In the case of Tonbridge, this is due to:

choosing a good location

carrying forward a good reputation

producing good publicity

Sooooooooooooooo, is this an opportunity for you to remind us all what is provisionally booked for 16 February 2013?

Bill

Thanks to all for a great show.

I had to really struggle this time to get the layout working for this one.On the way up I decided that it was time to sell it,( Its done over forty shows) but at the show it worked OK so I have decided to give it a much needed make over.

Brilliant all round an honour to be part of it.

Jack

Colin,

I'm not sure how we came to discuss your show on another thread! A good show in 2012 with, I believe, increased numbers through the door. My feeling for 2012, bases on a sample of three shows, is that numbers are holding up.

In the case of Tonbridge, this is due to:

choosing a good location

carrying forward a good reputation

producing good publicity

Sooooooooooooooo, is this an opportunity for you to remind us all what is provisionally booked for 16 February 2013?

Bill

Bill you obviously aren't reading everything put on here today, from quote #96 "As a little taster for next year Neil, we will have Pempoul and Cornwallis Yard at the show."

Colin

Just to add to what has already been said by Colin, thank you to all who attended, both as exhibitors and visitors, everything seemed to go well over the weekend and healthy numbers were experienced through the door it seemed, although we are awaiting final confirmation on that.

Thanks for the feedback from a visitor perspective as well, it is often dificult to judge the level of signage required for someone not familiar with the area when you know the town yourself, but that is something that can be looked at ahead of next year. With reference to signage inside the venue we appeared to be missing 2 signs that were present last year - 1 over the exit directing people into the Foyer and Medway Hall and 1 upstairs directing people to the catering and bar. There was however a large sign hung from the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs advising that there are more stands upstairs.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming and I will see what can be done to improve things for ahead of the next one, when the show is confirmed to be held on 16th February 2013. I am planning on making this the biggest Tonbridge show yet, hopefully with a good selection of layouts covering a wide selection of prototypes. If I get return confirmations on all the invites sent out it should be something quite special :sungum:

Cheers

Chris

(Exhibition Manager)

Just to add to what has already been said by Colin, thank you to all who attended, both as exhibitors and visitors, everything seemed to go well over the weekend and healthy numbers were experienced through the door it seemed, although we are awaiting final confirmation on that.

Thanks for the feedback from a visitor perspective as well, it is often dificult to judge the level of signage required for someone not familiar with the area when you know the town yourself, but that is something that can be looked at ahead of next year. With reference to signage inside the venue we appeared to be missing 2 signs that were present last year - 1 over the exit directing people into the Foyer and Medway Hall and 1 upstairs directing people to the catering and bar. There was however a large sign hung from the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs advising that there are more stands upstairs.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming and I will see what can be done to improve things for ahead of the next one, when the show is confirmed to be held on 16th February 2013. I am planning on making this the biggest Tonbridge show yet, hopefully with a good selection of layouts covering a wide selection of prototypes. If I get return confirmations on all the invites sent out it should be something quite special :sungum:

Cheers

Chris

(Exhibition Manager)

Suppose that means we had better find some more layouts for you then B)

Colin

Here are some pictures of Robin Gay's Rolvendon on which I was one of the operators.

post-7071-0-95247300-1329758985_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-91930200-1329759007_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-91692500-1329759031_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-65102100-1329759065_thumb.jpg

My thanks to the organisers. As a team we felt it was a well run show and we were well looked after - espeacially the apple crumble and custard! The cakes were quite good too.

Gordon A (The grey bearded one)

Bristol

There were a number of good layouts, however the one I spent most time looking at and chatting with was Stoating Bank. This was mainly due to my interest in the industrial railway scene, also I really liked the winter scene.

post-7071-0-00670700-1329759549_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-09965700-1329759567_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-94509400-1329759586_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-76517900-1329759623_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-94942600-1329759643_thumb.jpg

The three Austeritys were well detailed and all different in one way or another, not just out of the box.

Keep working on it chaps.

Gordon A

Bristol

I liked that one too, had a nice chat with one of the guys about fixing the snow - apparently cheap hairspray is the answer. Trying to decide whether I want to "go winter" with one of my projects, I wish I'd had time to chat some more of my ideas over with them but alas there were too many other people wanting to have a look at it.

• RMweb Gold

Olddudders must be over for a haircut!

Those at Tonbridge will confirm I failed to obtain one! I did actually enter a hairdresser's salon in Brixham 10 days ago, but they were booked up, so that was that. It is now 13 months since the last one, the stuff grows like weed, and I do fear I will catch cold - so I'm waiting for the Spring!

There were a number of good layouts, however the one I spent most time looking at and chatting with was Stoating Bank. This was mainly due to my interest in the industrial railway scene, also I really liked the winter scene.

post-7071-0-00670700-1329759549_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-09965700-1329759567_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-94509400-1329759586_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-76517900-1329759623_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-94942600-1329759643_thumb.jpg

The three Austeritys were well detailed and all different in one way or another, not just out of the box.

Keep working on it chaps.

Gordon A

Bristol

Stoating Bank was built by Tonbridge MRC club member Oliver Turner and this was its debut. They were still working on it last Thursday. Thank you Gordon for putting up these photo's and I believe I probably was chatting with you without realising you were on here. We are glad that you enjoyed the show and we are grateful to Robin and his operators for bringing Rolvenden to Tonbridge, I know a lot of our club members were mesmerised by it.

Colin

Hello! GWR-Fanatic finally back online after a long absence after getting ready for the Tonbridge Exhibition and of course participating during the day.

I have finally set up a gallery http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2002-fiddlers-end-a-gwr-layout-in-n-gauge/ and topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52553-fiddlers-end-a-layout-in-n-gauge/ related to my own personal layout "Fiddlers End", for those who would like to learn a little bit about it.

I personally had a great time exhibiting at the show, and thanks to GrahamB for assisting me during the day, it certainly will be a day I will remember for a very long time!

Cheers.

Matt.

Well we now have some attendance figures for last Saturday. We had just over 1700 people paying to get in, we don't have an accurate figure for the number of under 10's that were admitted free, but we suspect that they may have brought the actual number of people in the exhibition close to the 2000 mark, which is an incredible result. We would like to thank the exhibitors, traders, and helpers from outside of the club for last weekend.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I personally had a great time exhibiting at the show, and thanks to GrahamB for assisting me during the day, it certainly will be a day I will remember for a very long time!

I think you said this was your first show as an owning-exhibitor. All I will say is - in a show that was full of great layouts, yours had every right to be alongside them! Well done!

I think you said this was your first show as an owning-exhibitor. All I will say is - in a show that was full of great layouts, yours had every right to be alongside them! Well done!

Many many thanks! the TMRC exhibition was indeed my first ever time exhibiting with my own layout, though I've exhibited with club owned layouts in the past (particularly the club layout, Barncombe Junction).

Three years ago when the first pieces of track were lain onto the baseboard, I never once dreamed it would one day appear as an exhibit at a show. I realise I've said this before, but it is an experience that I will never, ever forget, totally exhilirating.

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmmm - the N Class had a fair GWR influence.....

I've only just noticed this post here... It warms the heart to hear that there is at least some nod towards the GWR having influenced other designers into at least attempting some of their design successes. :D ^_^ :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have finally been given some pictures from the show this year!

post-5107-0-10534700-1333549918_thumb.jpg

I didn't think people were moving that fast round the hall! Several layouts featured on the RM Web, Leaford, Fiddler's End, Treneglos, Bradfield Gloucster Square, Stoating Bank & Brookford are in the shot.

post-5107-0-50343700-1333549940_thumb.jpg

O gauge layout Invergeachy

post-5107-0-23247900-1333549965_thumb.jpg

Stoating Bank

post-5107-0-10181900-1333549987_thumb.jpg

GWR-Fanatic exhibiting his Fiddler's End layout, assisted by his uncle who helped him build it.

The exhibition planning for 2013 is well underway now, with several other layouts already confirmed, I will do a thread for that later in the year.

Colin

Archived