RMweb

Gone but very much missed

iL Dottore

Beers Coursge brewed in Bristol, ...

That would be the company from London that bought out George's Brewery in 1961. The latter traced its origins back to 1788 and is perhaps more missable than anything with a Courage label :unsure:

Nick

• RMweb Gold

That would be the company from London that bought out George's Brewery in 1961. The latter traced its origins back to 1788 and is perhaps more missable than anything with a Courage label :unsure:

Yes, Courage, Barclay & Simmonds I think they became then. Courage had taken over Barclay Perkins in the late-50s, I think. Courage and Guinness jointly promoted Harp Lager, too. Like all takeovers, there were good products they retained, and Bristol Stout survived the takeover you mention.

...Like all takeovers, there were good products they retained, and Bristol Stout survived the takeover you mention.

Well, I have to admit to being too young to have developed a taste for stout at that time. Apart from noticing the change of signs, my main memory of the takeover was of my father telling me of one local who had said "Arr, an 'e need courage to drink the bl**dy stuff too".

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Well, I have to admit to being too young to have developed a taste for stout at that time. Apart from noticing the change of signs, my main memory of the takeover was of my father telling me of one local who had said "Arr, an 'e need courage to drink the bl**dy stuff too".

Nick

I'm not surprised - when they took over Simonds in Reading I'm sure that Courage's 'no, we haven't changed it at all' version of Simonds Best Bitter included at least a dash of Fairy Liquid as it acquired a distinctly soapy tasteangry.gif

• RMweb Premium

I'm not surprised - when they took over Simonds in Reading I'm sure that Courage's 'no, we haven't changed it at all' version of Simonds Best Bitter included at least a dash of Fairy Liquid as it acquired a distinctly soapy tasteangry.gif

Continuity is no guarantee, however - as far as I know Arkells has never been taken over by anybody :drinks:

• RMweb Premium

Continuity is no guarantee, however - as far as I know Arkells has never been taken over by anybody :drinks:

Add Everards to that list http://www.everards.co.uk/about/ . I was warned off it by the locals when I was doing some work in Leicester.

However many of these are actually brewed in Masham http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/index.html contrary to another comment

VESTA curries (truly terrible, but an exotic taste of the Orient when at home in the 60s.

You can still get them - in the 99p shop!

Keith

FROG Kits for me. Always seemed to be better quality than Airfix; and didn't come in strange plastic colours. I particularily remember the 1:72 P47 Thunderbolt. My first Airfix kit was a 'boil in the bag' job.... can't remember which one... was the Chinook ever in a plastic bag? If so..... All this in choice in Bude, of all places, and me not much more than 7 or 8, I think.

Cheers

Jan

...and as I remember, their range included quite a lot of aircraft types that Airfix didn't do, including some really obscure stuff- One I remember particularly was the Bristol 138A (a 1930's high-altitude research plane)...

http://www.ipmsstock...ies_bristol.htm

The one thing I always remember about Frog kits was that the decals were often awful with carrier film that fell apart at the slightest hint of water.

The other kit range I remember as a kid was the one that Matchbox released in the early 70's. The newsagents just along the road from my grandparents sold Matchbox cars, and started to stock the kits when they came out. Every visit to my grandparents seemed to involve calling in there and buying one- I probably built more of them than I did Airfix, as buying Airfix kits meant a trip into town to go to Woolworths.

Again, a slightly more adventurous choice of prototype than Airfix, and moulded in several colours- allegedly so you didn't have to paint them (though you ended up with some very oddly-coloured planes if you didn't)

Quite a lot of them resurfaced as part of the Revell range, and I think some still available

http://www.matchboxkits.org/

'Harrington jacket'

Ben Sherman shirt,

Two-tone Levi 'Sta-Prest' trousers

Loafers (with tassles).

All topped of with a 'pork pie hat'

So attired, with chest inflated, walking into 'Kwik Snax' Wood St. Cardiff before a leisurely stroll to the 'old' Ninian Park Hotel in order to irrigate the vocal chords prior to spending two-hours of a Saturday afternoon watching Brian Clark and John Toshack from the 'Grange End'.

And no BSkyB to inflate footballers heads to such an extent they forget their roots.

Brian R

Paynes Poppets - sold in vending machines on stations, sufficiently tasty to keep skinny young gricers on a tight budget going 'til they got back to Mum's dinner.

The factory still exists......just North of The Purley Way on the A23.....giving off that marvelous aroma !

gerrynick

• Like 1