The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gone but very much missed

iL Dottore

Apart from the pre -Beeching steam railway that would take you to and from any reasonable sized community, one thing I really do miss are the small ports that used to be all around the coast and often surprisingly far inland. Unlike the large docks they were usually open to wander around, were full of scruffy atmosphere, had proper quaysides often with rails inset into them and even goods trains till quite late, and a fascinaing range of shipping from dirty British coasters (and clean Dutch ones) to Russian timber ships all worked by good honest Stothert and Pitt cargo cranes (the type Airfix should have modelled but didn't) and, unlike the current dehumanised wildernesses of concrete and containers , would have seemed quite familiar to Drake and even the ancient mariner who would both have found the local tavern in no time.

And the early beefburgers full of good meat and cooked on a hot plate with onions....mmmmm

I always remember two lines from "The Goodies" where they were talking about something (I forget what) and using an example:

"... like MacDonalds hamburgers?"

"No, not much."

• RMweb Premium

It maybe odd but Nigella gives a very good recipe for beefburgers in one of her earlier books, if anybody is bothered I will find out which book it is.

Minced Beef, Onions and some seasoning. (onions optional) Why do you need a recipe?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

It stays together and tastes great but each to their own.

Bind it with a little egg if you like!

I don't eat meat these days but when I did I thought that the best burger from one of the chain burger restaurants was from Wendy's. What happened to them?

About the market leader: - I'm lovin' it? No I'm not, I thought their burgers were disgusting!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Bind it with a little egg if you like!

I don't eat meat these days but when I did I thought that the best burger from one of the chain burger restaurants was from Wendy's. What happened to them?

About the market leader: - I'm lovin' it? No I'm not, I thought their burgers were disgusting!

Agree Wendy's were the best - but they offered too much choice IMHO, thus slowing the process of serving a queue. The salad bar was too upmarket to ever compete with the Golden Arches. You needed to be a Wendy's regular to understand what you were going to be asked for. Wimpy made the same mistake 40 years ago, when some prat decided that offering a choice of relish would be a good idea - you'd order a cheeseburger and chips, and someone who didn't speak great English would start offering you relishes you'd never heard of. Fast food needs to be just that for most customers, I think. Now the leading brands just offer meals, and the option is to max it, have a pud etc. Of course they'll do a special if you ask, but leaving it simple works best in this market. Oh, and there's an optional coffee to follow here in France, of course!

Women who looked smart and feminine.

I have my Grandmother's old WRAC uniform in my wardrobe, and it's amazing just how much it ticks all the boxes for that. Such a shame that all the UK armed forces and services except the RAF seem to have jumped on the unisex uniform bandwagon. Though I suppose their principal aims do not include making their females members look hot and sexy.

I miss:

The top 40 charts being worth buying into. Actually, I miss singles in general on an actual physical disk being widely available. When all this download nonsense turned up I pretty much stopped buying music except for the odd album I find.

Old Jamaica chocolate bars

School dinners - I loved industrial strength catering.

Affordable bus fares - when I was young I remember 17p used to take you pretty much anywhere the bus was going, no questions asked.

A time before mobile phones when I couldn't be mithered all day long by idiots trying to waste my time from a distance.

Decent underwear readily available. This seems to have gone hand in hand with a drive by business/society to unisex everything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I miss:

The top 40 charts being worth buying into. Actually, I miss singles in general on an actual physical disk being widely available. When all this download nonsense turned up I pretty much stopped buying music except for the odd album I find.

I agree, I don't understand why (well, yes I do but...) anybody would be willing to pay more for an album as a download, get no inner booklet or physical disc and case and all at a miserable 128kbits quality.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Barratts Sherbert Fountains.

My wife bought some a couple of days ago in Melbourne, Australia.

They fail in one important aspect of my memory. I can forgive the fact that the stick of licorice used to stick out of the wrapping (contained by a twist of the yellow paper IIRC), now has a black twist off top.

But what makes the whole thing not a Sherbert fountain, is the licorice itself. Once the licorice used to be hollow & the challenge used to be to suck the sherbert up through the tube without it becoming blocked - a rarity. It now seems pointless to have the licorice at all now. It simply does nothing.

Kevin Martin

I miss...

The backyard lav where one could read without being pestered by skirts wanting to put their makeup on.

1950s four inch long chips cooked in cowfat, plus fried bacon, fried bread, fried cheese, fried tomatos and two duck eggs.

The clip-clop of horses hooves on cobbled streets.

Barratts Sherbert Fountains.

My wife bought some a couple of days ago in Melbourne, Australia.

They fail in one important aspect of my memory. I can forgive the fact that the stick of licorice used to stick out of the wrapping (contained by a twist of the yellow paper IIRC), now has a black twist off top.

But what makes the whole thing not a Sherbert fountain, is the licorice itself. Once the licorice used to be hollow & the challenge used to be to suck the sherbert up through the tube without it becoming blocked - a rarity. It now seems pointless to have the licorice at all now. It simply does nothing.

Kevin Martin

Many years ago when I was an engineer with Trebor Bassett I used to work on the machines that made them.

You had light in the lav!

You had a Lav?

The last Barrett Sherbert Fountain that I had (London, 24th Sept. 2001) had hollow licorice but you had to bite off both ends which were sealed.............

Best, Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

The penny tray

Walls 3D - an ice lolly for threepence.

Bubble gum with authentic Confederacy currency.

Uncle Joes and Uncle Lukes (from corner sweet shops)

Nelsons (a wonderful current tart)

Half-Nelsons (a wrestling hold, reserved for primary school, fun when you did it, not fun when done to you)

Tripe, black pudding, pigs' trotters, cow heel, tongue, oxe tail

Proper names for coinage (farthing, ha'penny, tuppence, thre'p'n'y bit, sixpence, shilling, florin, half-crown,

Proper names for coinage (farthing, ha'penny, tuppence, thre'p'n'y bit, sixpence, shilling, florin, half-crown,

Funny you should mention these as I was lying in bed thinking on the old currency. Was it only my family that referred to the half crown as "half a dollar"? Or was it a London thing?

Best, Pete.