Collectors Club

OOgaugeJaf

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the Bachmann collectors club. I have personally been a member for at least 8 years. There have been some fantastic model over the years and to personally pick a few highlights the Black Prince, K3, Ivatt 4 from Blyth Shed, the BR maroon Ivatt 2 and the weathered class 37. A good spell with some great models Tornado possible the last good one. But the later years have been a disappointment.

I'm currently debating whether to renew. My luck would be a great release just around the corner. The wagons have never been of interest. The mags sometimes are a great read. A few friends have decided not to renew because they feel the good models have dried up. What do others think?

John

I'd agree with many of your points there.

- The free wagons were of little or no interest (but one day I may do something with them so that they fit in on my layout).

- The magazines were quite good IMO.

- The limited editions were pretty good in the past. I joined in the first place to purchase 37403 and since then I also bought 57601, the Transrail VDA (?) and if I'd had the money I'd have probably got the Waterman Railways 20 and the Intercity ETHEL. Personally I don't think many of the steam era limited editions were of interest though and in the last few years all the limited editions seemed to go downhill, hence I haven't renewed membership in a while. If things start looking up and I have more disposable income I'll rejoin.

One thing that you didn't mention was the free calendar - they were exceptional. I would reconsider rejoining on the strength of that - but we no longer have wall space.

• RMweb Gold

I joined last year as I got fed up with trying to buy the limited editions on eBay! However I am disappointed at the moment there is only one steam outline model! A casualty of the recession perhaps? I just wish their stock availability would increase!

I signed up for 2011/2012.

I appreciate the effort they put in to provide an update on new model development status in each issue.

I look forward to the calendar every year - I put it in my office - and appreciate the catalogue being included - it's one less thing I have to purchase on-line, and I do like to have the catalogues.

Most of the recent price-included wagons seem to have represented wagon builders' businesses. I can run them because I model pre-nationalization but they're not a make or break item for me.

If they ever do a 7F limited edition in Prussian Blue, I wouldn't want to miss out! (That's a bit speculative though.)

I would have to agree with all the others in terms of disappointment with recent models. There is probably a recession factor with the recent models but to be fair there is nothing quick in coming from Bachmann recently. So possibly all effort is aimed towards other new models over a limited editions.

Without turning this into a wish list thread, I cannot see why something like the Evenning Star or a deltic is not made available but make it different by weathering it to represent a working condition. It would give us a decent model and would not take much, I'm sure to weather up in terms of development.

I'm probably going to give this year a last go before wrapping in.

Recently the magazine has improved in the size of its content and has some very good articles. I find it's often better than some of the regular magazines.

The magazine, catalogue and calendar make it worth the expense for me; the rest is a bonus.

I feel that the Bachmann Collectors' Club is very pro-active in the modelling scene and as such is worthy of support. The magazine is very professional and covers aspects of the hobby and the prototype that the mainstream mags don't include and the calendar is, indeed, first class. Their first Trackside event at Wirksworth this year was a good day out and bodes well for the future. As to limited edition models, they keep coming up with different ideas and while it is impossible to please everyone, surely members can write in and let the company know what they would like to see? It has to be a two-way thing if you want to get the best from any club. Perhaps it is a case not of 'What can the BCC do for me?' but 'What can I do for BCC?'

I have intermittently been a member since 2001. The wagons are of little interest, but live in a display cabinet as my partner thinks they look pretty. The main reason I join is to gain access to limited editions, and over the years these have included the weathered 08, Waterman railways 20, ETHEL, industrial 3F Jinty, Stephenson Clarke Pannier, ZGV engineers' wagons and various Bachmann/Graham Farish promotional wagons. I missed out on the Caledonian blue Fairburn as I wasn't a member for a couple of years at the time. Most of the purchases have just been in the "oooh! Shiny!" category, but some do fit in with my 1970s/80s BR blue and industrial interests.

I'd rather buy the limited editions at source than line a chancer's pockets for them on Ebay.

I like the PO wagons and they fit in with my era (just) but wonder if a more modern one every now and again would be suitable. However the comment also goes if you don't want the wagon sell it.

Good VFM when you get a wagon, catalogue, nice calendar plus four mags each year.

I suspect that it costs more to run than you pay but they probably look at it as you will buy some of the specials and it's a marketing tool for the rest of the range.

I know that they try and keep a theme to the wagons as PO wagons liveried for various wagon builders. However, what private owner wagons were around after nationalisation? Tankers might be something, and the limited edition of an Axminster carpets van that Buffers did some years ago also spring to mind. However these would depart from the wagon builders/repairers theme that Bachmann have been sticking to.

• RMweb Premium

Much as I would like a more modern, certainly post nationalisation, wagon as the Collectors Club model, I don't see it happening. It is after all the Collectors Club, which perhaps gives a hint to the purpose of the models offered to members, both the free wagon and the ones for sale. By being limited editions and considering the subjects/liveries chosen, they are targetted at collectors looking for something different that will hold its value rather than for those of us that want a more run of the mill model to run on our layouts. If Bachmann thought something would sell out as a standard release, would they produce it as a limited edition and thereby limit the number of sales? Perhaps on occasion but not as a general rule, I think.

Personally I find the Bachmann Collectors' Club excellent value for money. The collectors' club wagon is of good quality and well finished. While it may not be to everyone's taste it is at least a model and not a toy as per the Hornby Collectors' Club loco. I would like to see a little more variety and not just plank wagons every year. Bachmann have in the past offered tanker wagons, steel sided wagons and hopper wagons, perhaps it is time for a new one of those?

The club magazine is very informative and well prepared. I find the articles on railways modern and latter day of great interest. I would like to see more in the magazine about how Bachmann produce their models, from how new models are chosen through the design and production processes and onto the delivery and distribution. Perhaps we will then understand the delay from announcement of a new model to its availablilty in the shops.

The limited edition models available to collectors are generally a good mixture so that there is something of interest to most modellers every year or two.

Bachmann have sold off PO wagons unboxed for 50p before now so I don't think its their most expensive moulding to produce even if these were sold at a loss to clear trainset stocks. I can't see them wanting to use modern wagons which are generally more complex and bigger.

There does seem to be a market for them though when seen on eBay.

......It is after all the Collectors Club, which perhaps gives a hint to the purpose of the models offered to members, both the free wagon and the ones for sale. By being limited editions and considering the subjects/liveries chosen, they are targetted at collectors looking for something different that will hold its value......

They may be targeting the free wagons at collectors, but there isn't any value in them from what I can see. Loads of them seem to go on eBay for pocket money prices.

When you join or renew membership, you are asked if your main interest is in 00 or N. This determines which free model you get and what catalogue is sent out to you (Branchline or Farish).

A suggestion might be that they also ask if you'd prefer a historic or contemporary wagon?

A suggestion might be that they also ask if you'd prefer a historic or contemporary wagon?

This kind of flexibility is certainly nice for subscribers - I remember similar discussion about changing up the calendar to include more modern illustrations instead of only steam-era renderings.

It would be interesting to see if this approach would materially improve circulation figures. It would certainly add to the administrative burden for the club. Seeing as 00 and N alternatives are offered, it would double the number of wagon models required and the number of subscription permutations to four, considerably increasing the administrative effort to process subscriptions accurately, particularly since the Bachmann Collectors' Club processes all their renewals at the same time.

Of course since I'm happiest with pre-nationalisation models and steam-era calendar illustrations, the current offerings suit me well.

• RMweb Premium

This kind of flexibility is certainly nice for subscribers - I remember similar discussion about changing up the calendar to include more modern illustrations instead of only steam-era renderings.

It would be interesting to see if this approach would materially improve circulation figures. It would certainly add to the administrative burden for the club. Seeing as 00 and N alternatives are offered, it would double the number of wagon models required and the number of subscription permutations to four, considerably increasing the administrative effort to process subscriptions accurately, particularly since the Bachmann Collectors' Club processes all their renewals at the same time.

Of course since I'm happiest with pre-nationalisation models and steam-era calendar illustrations, the current offerings suit me well.

I can't see Bachmann offering alternatives in one year because of the extra administrative effort and cost, as you highlight. But I would be happy if Bachmann gave us a more modern wagon from time to time, perhaps every two or three years. I would still sign up continuously because the free catalogue, calendar and magazine already justify the subscription. And you get the chance to buy the limited edition locos. If only they would do more "BR" rather than private or privatisation variants.

Bachmann have sold off PO wagons unboxed for 50p before now so I don't think its their most expensive moulding to produce even if these were sold at a loss to clear trainset stocks. I can't see them wanting to use modern wagons which are generally more complex and bigger.

There does seem to be a market for them though when seen on eBay.

I think the clarification needed here is that Bachmann have used toolings for Collectors Club editions of which other liveries may have been sold at clearance prices; not the Collectors Club editions themselves.

The Bachmann Collectors’ Club has over the past few years grown into a large organisation with some 8,000 members across the World and is growing at the rate of over 1000 members a year.

The wagon is part of the membership package which members receive for their subscription – currently £20 per annum. To give some idea of the value of membership, the current RRP of a 7 plank wagon is £8.50, the catalogue £5.95 and the bespoke calendar with 12 monthly pages would cost at least £6 in a high street store for a similar quality production in the run up to Christmas. In addition members receive an annual enamel badge, four quarterly magazines and the opportunity to purchase limited edition models which offer something different from the main stream catalogue issues. These are of steam or diesel locomotives (on average 3 are offered during a club year), a set of private owner wagons (one each representing areas of England, Scotland and Wales), and sets of colourful vans in the liveries of Bachmann associated companies.We have also offered more modern wagons in unsual liveries such as the advertising liveries carried in Loadhaul and Transrail days. Many of these have become highly collectable in their own right and those no longer available (such as the Caledonian liveried Fairburn tank) often fetch prices way in excess of what they were sold to members at.

The annual club wagon has, since it was introduced in the 1998/9, reflected the period of private owner wagons when the various wagon manufacturers, contractors and hirers produced wagons in their own liveries, sometimes for advertising purposes. The release of the W.R. Davies, Wagon Contractors of Liverpool wagon for the new 2011/12 club year is the 14th such wagon to be released by us. Some of the early ones are hard to obtain, indeed we are still searching for the S.J.Claye of Long Eaton one for our office display cabinet and have been for the past three years. I appreciate that these are not to everyone’s liking but again the vast majority appreciate that we have a theme and we continue to add to further versions. As a result a collection of colourful wagons has been built up which are to the same standards as all other Bachmann wagons and which can be used on layouts. Some members decide not to keep them and this is understandable.

Each year we have to estimate production based on the likely requirements to supply each member with either a N or OO scale version. Surplus wagons are offered through the club to members and currently we still have the more recent releases available (whilst stocks last) at £5.50. We have never sold them at 50p and are never likely to! Again those no longer available fetch premium prices.

The Bachmann Collectors’ Club produces four magazines a year which has grown to an average of 60 pages an issue. Contributors are all well known names in the world of railway or model railway publishing and articles are commissioned to reflect new releases, railway operators, past items or how to use available products. I am sure you know how much such a publication would cost if it was produced commercially and on sale in your newsagents. We aim to offer something different from the other magazines (they have far more manufacturers products to work with than just our own brands) and to encourage members to look at the wider railway picture. The last two issues have told the stories behind InterCity and Network SouthEast, giving members background to two of the liveries that our models carry. Whilst I appreciate that many readers of this forum will have an intimate knowledge of these companies, many of our members do not. We are also telling the story in each issue of one of the current privatised rail operators, the most recent issue featuring Northern Rail.

We know from the feedback received by our small team here at Barwell that our efforts are appreciated by most of the membership. We understand we cannot please everyone all of the time but we do try to provide value for money!

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager / Editor Bachmann Collectors’ Club magazine

Bachmann Europe Plc

They may be targeting the free wagons at collectors, but there isn't any value in them from what I can see. Loads of them seem to go on eBay for pocket money prices.

Like everything on the 'bay, they vary. I've got a very small collection of ones that particularly appeal, I dont think I've ever paid more than about 8 quid incl. P&P but some can and do go for much more. I've also seen them at swapmeets for £10 -12, which is reasonable IMO. The only one I'd particularly like, but wont pay silly for, is the Cambrian Wagon Works one; there's a Scottish one as well (Forfar?) which commands good prices.

Not that I'm a collector of of course, not me, oh no...

Not that I'm a collector of of course, not me, oh no...

Found guilty as charged........ laugh1.gif

To Dennis, if you're reading this....

I think the magazine has come on in leaps and bounds in recent times. IMHO, many of the articles are of a very high standard indeed and pitched at the right level for such a publication.

I'd like to pass on a big thanks to all involved in producing it.

The wagon I wouldn't miss to be honest (of no use to me really), nor the enamel badge.

My 2011/2012 wagon arrived yesterday. I was surprised to see it so quickly, and it was nice that they were organized enough to have them in stock already.

The enamel lapel pin caused Hornby to follow suit and offer one in their club. Having had a Bachmann Collectors Club membership for several years now, having a series of pins seems a bit superfluous, though I think each one includes the year, making them slightly different.

My Collector's club wagon arrived a couple of weeks ago, also surprising me with its promptness. Today my Jinty in industrial livery, ZGV opens and Graham Farish promotional van arrived. The ZGV opens are outstanding, and are exactly the version of the wagon that I was hoping would appear back when Bachmann announced they would be bringing out a model. The liveries are perfect for my modelling period and add more variety to any wagon fleet. If only the real ones looked that pristine and straight-sided in service! If they are despatched in number order, anyone wanting one of these sets ought to hurry up, as my certificate number was in the 400s and they are limited to 512.

The Farish van made me wonder whether there would be merit in producing something similar for the collector's club wagon. However I suspect such novelty wagons would annoy those modellers for whom a model of a genuine private owner wagon fits perfect in their modelling period. It is a nice model, and joins earlier three van promotional sets I bought during a previous year of membership (I didn't renew last year). I have most collector's club wagons going back to the black Marcroft wagon (2002?) and rather liked the years that the slope sided steel mineral and tanker turned up as a change to the wooden opens. I have to admit that I don't see the newer club wagons as being quite as collectable as the older ones, as membership numbers are now so large that there could be more of the club wagons than some general release wagons. I do keep looking out for the club wagons that predate my joining as the really early ones are particularly appealing, perhaps in part due to their rarity.

The calendar is very useful, as it saves me buying one of my own (I use such things extensively through the year to remember all manner of important things). Last year, not being a member, I had to go out and buy one from a shop and they are not the cheapest of items on the general market so offer good value for part of the £20 membership.

My son has been a member of the club for 6 or 7 years and we both find the club excellent value for money, some people will just moan about anything, if they don't like it they have the choice not to subscribe!!!

If they want something to moan about they should join a certain other major manufacturers collectors club and see how poor that is in comparison.

Overall, the Club is good value just for the magazines, the catalogue and the calendar. I would prefer the wagon to be something I could actually use; Perhaps Bachmann could alternate, issuing a collectable wagon one year and a BR-liveried one the next, say a weathered version of a new catalogue item ? The Covhop would be perfect for this......maybe for next year ?

Archived