RMweb

DCC Controllers

paulbb

Way back in 2003 I bought a Lenz Compact DCC controller which has worked fine but of course has only 3 function buttons so it is not completely satsifactory

for the newer sound fitted locos.

I have since tried a Dynamis, which is a good controller and is well priced, but I did not like its programming features, in particular its inability to read CV values.

Does anyone out there have a clear recommendation for a successor to my Lenz unit, bearing in mind that I only have small/medium layouts to use it on

and my programming needs are very limited; oh yes a competitive price would help too.

thanks

Hi Paul

Follow John's advice and have a search for the information you're after.

As a DCC user you probably have a good idea of what you want from a new system anyway.

You say your layout needs are relatively modest, so unless you wish to splash out for a fully featured system, most of which will cost from £300 upwards, then a budget or mid-priced set-up may be what you need.

If, as you say, you want to read back CV's, then bear in mind that most budget and starter systems do not have a programming track output and therefore are unable to read CV's.

Budget and mid-priced systems that do have this ability, start at around £130 or £140 and include the NCE PowerCab, Digitrax Zephyr Xtra, Hornby Elite and Gaugemaster (MRC) Prodigy Advance2.

The last of those is a fully featured system for £200.

The PowerCab is well regarded, but if your power requirements exceed its modest 1.7 amp output, then adding its dedicated SmartBooster adds another £105 to the cost (total approx. £240+)

The Dynamis can be turned into Dynamis Pro, by adding a Pro Box and this will give a programming track output and the ability to read CV's, but the total cost would be around the £225 mark. Anyway if you don't like it's programming features or method that might be a mute point?

Another alternative is to buy a budget system that lacks a programming track output and ability to read back CV's and obtain a Sprog2 for programming.

e.g. The excellent Roco MultiMaus, available brand-new, split from a train set, off eBay for approx. £85+ (usually being sold by German model shops).

• RMweb Gold

Remember the the ideal system is only ideal for you!!

That is the best piece of advice you'll receive. If you diligently work your way through all the systems available - there should be plenty of data on each manufacturer's website - and then compare specs and prices, you should arrive at quite a short list of systems that apparently do what you want, and are somewhere near your budget. That is the time to find a dealer who will let you play with your chosen few, because they each have a different configuration of throttle, command station, boosters, accessories. As you already know, you spend a lot of time using the system, and one that feels right is really important. You've had the Lenz for 8 years, and the next one might last you 12 or 20 years.

Start with the Internet, do your homework, then get to the hands-on.

Which is the best value?

Well whichever one does what you need it to at a price you can afford - I am fortunate enough to own a Lenz Set100, Roco MultiMaus and Dynamis systems as well as a wide range of ancilliaries but I have access to NCE, Zimo, ECoS, and Digitrax too.

Each one of them has its own unique benefits that may be argued to justify its selection over another system but ultimately whichever one works best for you is entirely subjective and personal.

For me I love my Lenz setup above all and would not be without it - it doesn't suit everyone though as many, many threads on RMWeb have discussed to the Nth degree the pros & cons of every system and illustrate this.

Ian offers excellent advice in saying get to a dealer and try a few out - if you do not have a local dealer then show exhibitors can often be approached (preferably toward the end of a day) to demonstrate their systems to polite enquirers.

Good luck.

n show exhibitors can often be approached (preferably toward the end of a day) to demonstrate their systems to polite enquirers.

Completely off topic, but the end of the day ? Last thing they need is a mitherer ! Go early, before the crowds roll in and it gets busy, and before nerves start to fray and tiredness sets in.

FWIW I see a lot of NCE power cabs used on the smaller layouts at exhibitions, no common controller to my eyes for bigger layouts - thats if they're not 12v.

I have used several systems over the years, started with a Lenz Compact 12 years ago!

I dont like Dynamis granted the one I have here gathering dust is just the basic set up that i initially used o n an N gauge layout, I was never happy with the Infra Red system.

I used a Massoth system on my garden line that was wonderful, 12 amps of power, but a hefty price too ( around (£1250 these days, mind you I got a good price for mine when the weather made me decide to move indoors!)

Currently on my 00 Garage layout I am using a Wireless Prodigy it does all that I want it to do.

But I think that today it is a case of gaining as much info as possible from as many users as possible and then trying to make the best choice

Good Luck!

For my two penn'orth, slightly skewed by a fair intake of Jennings Cocker Hoop this evening, I have a Lenz 100 which I find as good as anything on the market, and I use it with some cheap PC software to do points/routes/throttles and decoder programming. It may have the glamour and demeanour of a Russian Radio set from the 1960's but it works beautifully for me.

Main point for me, can you use it with one hand whilst wrestling with layout based nonsense?

but the end of the day ? Last thing they need is a mitherer ! Go early, before the crowds roll in and it gets busy, and before nerves start to fray and tiredness sets in.

Well for me I prefer people to see me at the end of the day if they really want to try out the layout or DCC systems or maybe even have a loco checked out.

First thing I tend to be concentrating on ensuring everything is running just right but by the afternoon I have chilled out and the crowd numbers have fallen to an extent whereby involved discussion does not annoy other viewers.

"Mitherer" is a harsh word - as exhibitors it is our role to engage with all members of the public that have queries about our layouts, after all they are the ones who have paid money to get in and see us whilst we have received free food, drink and possibly expenses for our troubles.

Part of my task on the British Railway Modellers of Australia's stand at exhibitions is to explain and demonstrate any aspect of layout building and development that I am asked about.

Because I use an NCE Power Cab at exhibitions, that too is demonstrated and I am very happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability about the NCE, about DCC in general, and even about Digitrax where I have sufficient knowledge (I borrowed a Zephyr unit off DougN in my earleir DCC days, after dabbling with a Lenz Compact).

I do recommend that anyone interested in DCC should do their research and have a look at as many different brands and their specifications as possible, as per the advice from other posters above. I like my NCE system but the final choice boils down to personal preferences, feature sets and value for money.

• RMweb Gold

John Russell - who has obviously performed a diligent count - says there are 107 previous threads on this item. I venture to suggest it's because most posters do not do as the OP asks, and recommend their own system as just "best". I am among them, and believe that the "try them or regret forever" route is the safest. Each thread thus currently sends the OP away rather empty-handed, which is not an RMWeb tradition. I feel to some extent we may be seen to be politely telling the OP to "clear orff & do your own research", as some of us perhaps did. Do we need a wall where we can simply list the good and bad things about our own system experiences, so this and future OPs have a bit more to chew upon?

Do we need a wall where we can simply list the good and bad things about our own system experiences, so this and future OPs have a bit more to chew upon?

I would second that Ian - I think you are spot on with your concern that in this one topic we let the OP down.

This is something we have considered before as it is a question like many others that crop up again and again.

In truth I don't believe that 'we' have let the OP down or told him to clear off and do his own research. Surely one of the many good points about the forum is that it is an excellent research tool? So that being the case if all the people go to the time and trouble of replying to these threads as and when they crop up it would be a shame for their efforts to lie unused in the deep recesses of the forum.

Informing an OP that the information is out there is helping them as they may not think it has been covered before. They then can peruse the many different threads and come back with further questions as and when they need to.

It has been suggested in the past that we could have members do a review of their systems. Those that are lucky to have tried a few could write a comparison but it is still only ever going to be their personal opinion. Maybe some of you would like to do that and we can make it a Sticky. At least then some of the facts about the different systems could be listed along with opinions on use and reliability etc.

As many replies have stated, it is all down to personal choice and discussing the various pros and cons of each system. For my complicated 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' I chose the Lenz system. I use two LH90 hand held controllers, one LZV100 command station, one TR150 5amp transformer, one LA152 Xpressnet Adaptor and one LK100 Reverse Loop Module. The controllers can be plugged into the Xpressnet Adaptor on the inside of the operating well and two other five pin DIN plugs around the outside of the layout for use at exhibitions to discuss the pros and cons of the Lenz system and to allow children to operate the trains. Why did I chose Lenz?

1. The LH90 is the size of a TV remote, has eight buttons, control knob, reverse switch, LED display and a curly non-tangle 2 metre cable. Although it only has eight buttons, it can handle upto 28 functions. Other controllers that can do what the LH90 can either look like miniature switchboards or laptop computers and are three times the size and weight. Being used to analogue controllers for many years and the main reason that I chose the LH90 is the control knob which can be operated or direction switch used when held in one hand. This leaves the other hand free for other problems on the layout.

2. With this 5 amp system, I can run upto 4 trains simultaneously.

3. The command station is a simple anodised aluminium box which I have fitted flush with top of the baseboard.

4. Lenz is a mid range priced system with a 10 year Warranty, free software updates and many years of DCC experience.

5. I only use the 'cheap and cheerful' decoders (Hornby, Bachmann, ZTC) and ESU sound decoders and have had no problems with the system.

Archived