How did you get the USA /Canadian Modelling Bug?

ANT

I'm a brand new convert to the cause. Mention on here of the Fostoria webcam led me to getting hooked on that. Walking into WH Smith's a couple of days later saw me buying the issue of Continental Modeller that featured three US layouts, including Haston. A footnote in that article mentioned it could be seen at the TVNAM show a week or so later, so me and my youngest wandered over there and absolutely loved what we saw - not a tail chaser in sight, lots of colourful diesels carrying out purposeful, intricate shunting (sorry, switching!) manoeuvres.

Since then, a Bachmann 44 tonner and a couple of boxcars have arrived off EBay, along with some back issues of Model Trains International, and I'm currently hacking up chipboard for a small carfloat layout.

A footnote in that article mentioned it could be seen at the TVNAM show a week or so later, so me and my youngest wandered over there and absolutely loved what we saw - not a tail chaser in sight, lots of colourful diesels carrying out purposeful, intricate shunting (sorry, switching!) manoeuvres.

Fantastic stuff!! Great to hear that sort of feedback from the Show, too - I hope we spoke (mine was the O Scale "Punch'n'Judy" affair!!). Many of the layouts have threads here on RMweb somewhereabouts, and pictures from the Show start on this page of the TVNAM Show thread. :D

Hope you have a lot of fun with your new stuff!

We did admire Schiller Point a couple of times, though I'm afraid conversation has to take a back seat when you've got a three year old with you - need to keep an eye on him all the time, just in case, though to be fair he's generally very careful and can already operate the controller quite smoothly!

As for questions, there'll be plenty of those...

I'm going to have to flip this the other way around...

How did I get "into" modelling US prototype? Its all I've ever known. Grew up in in the Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts, watching Boston & Maine bluebirds and Buddliners. Started modelling it in HO scale, acquiring several brass engines. Got involved with N-Trak while living in an apartment, and got the narrow gauge bug a while back. Moved to O scale as I didn't like how HOn3 ran at that point, and On3 really grabbed me. Most of my HO stuff is now gone, but I held onto an Overland B-15 mogul (with 3 wooden passenger cars) and a Orion models "Flying Yankee". On3 is EBT mikes and D&RGW K-27, K-28, and C-16s, with an eye at repainting the C-16s for my own imaginary east-coast 3 foot gauge line. And also started acquiring O standard gauge stuff, as the local O scale clubs are all standard gauge.

So, the question I can answer is "what are you doing on a British modelling website that happens to have a section on US modelling"?

Well, back in high school, my father acquired about 10 years of "model engineer" from the 50's and 60's. (growing up with a father who was a live steamer did have its advantages...) I was really attracted to the British prototype, and when I found the series by Martin Evans called "Jubilee", I was hooked. Jubilee was a 3.5" gauge version of a LMS Stanier 2-6-4T, named Jubilee as it was published in Model Engineer's "gold Jubilee" year, IIRC. Still love the looks of Stanier designed engines, but also find certain LNER and GWR engines quite appealing.

Well, somewhere along the line, I though that I would try to find a model of the 2-6-4T for O scale, found that DJH made a "Fairburn" but no one else seemed to make a Stanier version, bought it, and the long descent into being an American modelling overseas prototype began...

So, I still have US prototype O scale, in both standard gauge and narrow gauge, and N scale, but I dabble in British prototype in both scales... Kinda makes me a kindred soul to those in the UK who model the US, but in reverse!

We did admire Schiller Point a couple of times, though I'm afraid conversation has to take a back seat when you've got a three year old with you - need to keep an eye on him all the time, just in case, ...

Understood!! My lad is 8 now, and I barely saw him at the Show, but his first visit to a show was when he was three, and had an attention span slightly shorter than a goldfish's; having said that, he did enjoy it. Start 'em young!! ;)

• RMweb Gold

I was another originally hooked by articles by Chris Ellis in Model Trains / Scale Model Trains at that "impressionable" (early teenage) age in the early 80s. My first visit to the USA was to Alaska in 1991 - I was captivated by the sights and sounds of the AKRR hauling coal through Denali National Park, the Tenana river canyon, and the helix to the bridge over the river at Nenena. I returned from Alaska with a boxcar, some books and a lot of dreams & schemes..

Later visits to the US on vacation and business, to Florida (where I fell in love with the FEC, SAL and ACL); California (where the SP grabbed me first) and NY / CT, where Dual Mode covered wagons (FP9s or FL9s?) painted in New Haven McGinnis liveries still ran on some of the Metro-North commuter runs, sealed my fate.

Years later, after a couple of years in Orlando, I now find myself living a few miles from the ex-ATSF Surf Line in Southern CA. The next US layouts will be (in HO) based on SP logging backwaters in Northern CA / Oregon; and a HOn3 DRGW layout (as I've been completely unable to resist the lure of the Blackstone / Soundtraxx models)..

Emigrated to the US in 83 modelled in US N HO S O just retiring and started modelling British again, a Scottish Branch line I guess thats reverse modelling.

David

I started young...

My dad was always into international railways and would buy me old books left right and centre, I must have been no older than 4 or 5 and one of the books he bought me had a series of photos of the California Zephyr in it. I dare anyone to look at that train and not be impressed. My uncle bought me a basic roundy roundy with a couple of Hornby 0-4-0s on it for christmas when I was 5 and from that point I'd always badger away that I wanted the Zephyr. In the end my dad caved in and bought one of those rediculously geared Bachmann F7s back in the early '80s and painted it in DRGW livery to shut me up! :laugh:

I'm still waiting to get my CZ...I missed the last Broadway release, but at least I have the head end sorted ~

IMG_4314.jpg

Looks kind of odd mingling with the rest of my stock...considering its all second gen Southern Pacific! A bit colourful you might say.

Bought a copy of Model Railroader during a Disneyworld vacation in 2001, then bought a first run Proto SD60 on a whim, which outshone and outpulled anything from my BR blue Loco fleet from all major manufacturers. Sold all my British stuff as a joblot to a dealer within 12 months and been hooked ever since.

However been severely sidetracked recently by the British Industrial scene

Fred

whilst on the subject..or not, as is my wont.....in the heady pre-tinternet days, I joined the NMRA [britisher Region]....and it was probably the best thing I did...I'm not a clubby sort of person, but that didn't seem to matter to the NMRA...a really friendly, helpful bunch.....lots of ideas...lots of encouragement......

Of course, these days we do have tinternet, so contact with like-minded individuals is at the touch of a keypad....

I don't 'belong' these days.....the downside of NMRA membership being the Americanised methods of raising personal modelling standards....pressure where I didn't want it?

But loved meeting those old American guys who 'bummed' their way over the Atlantic on military flights, to attend Conventions, and seasonal meets.....

I was born here.

My grandfather worked for the TRRA, my dad worked for a little while for the Wabash.

I was brought here by a question someone posted on another site. I have some knowledge of US railroads and enjoy sharing with others. I am modeling 1900-1905 in Pennsylvania from the midwest, so I understand the difficulties of modeling long ago from far away. So I enjoy trying to help modelers on the other sides of the assorted ponds who are fellow modelers of either long ago or far away.

Started my first layout in the mid 50s with Hornby Dublo 3 rail, progressed through the years with a number of layouts at home and as part of DEMU - all "modern image" to coin an outdated phrase

then . . . .

family holiday in Orlando for the theme parks, had a glimpse of Taft Yard, followed up on the internet and revisited the following year with an additional hire car to give me the independence to railfan the Orlando area.

Back in the UK and a house move gave me the opportunity to build a new layout - so I bought a sound equipped loco on EBAY and the rest followed.

I am now retired and have had my single garage extended and upgraded to develop my new layout

Dunno about the modelling bug (I might build something soon, with any luck), but my interest was sparked when I bought "The Concise Encyclopaedia of World Reilway Locomotives", edited by one David Morgan. The older ancients among us will remember him as the editor of "Trains" magazine for many years. Interest then sidelined (but not suppressed) by "goils" and marriage etc, until retirement loomed, and didn't want to get under SWMBO's feet.

Dennis

For me, it was the purchase of a copy of Railroad Model Craftsman magazine from EAMES in Reading (I'm sure others remember that shop) in 1967 as an early teenager and I was hooked from then on.

Despite occasional forays into British and German I always return as I have yet to find anything that gives the same satisfaction in terms of detail and quality running.

As far back as I can remember, I've wanted to model a Civil War scene with a couple of those 4-4-0s, a sternwheel paddle boat and lots of Union and Confederate cavalry. I never have built one but I got drawn to British Columbia Railway by an article in one of those History of Railways partworks. Then I saw the real thing and got hooked on modern Canadian main line railways and logging railways (any era). Now I just model trains that I like or trains that I've seen/ridden on. I've just test-run my second three-pack of Athearn Bombardier bi-levels in GO livery and I'm repainting passenger cars into Ontario Northland colours, so, now, I can't even claim that I'm only interested in Western Canada!

CHRIS LEIGH

Can I just add that the thing about North America is that it is truly vast and one is forever finding something new.

I just discovered the "Aberdeen and Rockfish R.R." "The Road of Personal Service" (started in 1892) of North Carolina. I lived in North Carolina for 5 years and never heard of it!

Thanks to Craig Z I now have.......

Here's movie of ol' 405

media]

[/media]

Best, Pete.

They were one of the first shortlines to dieselize. They bought their first F3 in 1947 and their second in 1948. They actually still had a Mikado on their roster in 1977. So presumably steam was still important in 1947 too.

I find their most amazing fact is that they are still owned by the Blue family of Aberdeen - since 1892. Must be a record for any railroad/railway company anywhere......

Best, Pete.

I believe the A&R was notable for only having an F unit so they had to do all their switching with the F unit, normally not considered a switcher.

The Soo Line would send out lone F-Units on branch trains without a second thought, and they had to do all the switching along the route, too. ;)

As far back as I can remember, I've wanted to model a Civil War scene with a couple of those 4-4-0s, a sternwheel paddle boat and lots of Union and Confederate cavalry.

Is it time to watch 1926's "The General" again? The Union train crashing through the burning bridge was the most expensive stunt filmed up to that point in the history of movies. It was filmed here in Oregon. The locomotive was left in the river until WWII when it was reclaimed for scrap.

The short flat car with the howitzer would be fun to model.

The scenery in BC is very pretty.

Archived