Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

• RMweb Premium

Back home with a cuppa after a thoroughly enjoyable two days of intensive operation on Leaford, all worked superbly as usual and the only problems were caused by the operators!;)

A very big thank you to Kevin for allowing me to play with his trains and I hope that myself and Scott didn't hog the controls too much?

Roll on the May date at Wilton where we will do it all again.

Thanks again Kevin.

Hi Guys, good to hear it all went well and fun was had by all. Kevin love 37711, looks great I was thinking of putting that nameplate on the 56 but after seeing "Tremorfa Steelwork" on the 37 maybe I will go for 711. What loco was used as a donna?

All the best

Leon

Hi Guys, good to hear it all went well and fun was had by all. Kevin love 37711, looks great I was thinking of putting that nameplate on the 56 but after seeing "Tremorfa Steelwork" on the 37 maybe I will go for 711. What loco was used as a donna?

All the best

Leon

Hi Leon, 37711 I beleive started out as a limited edition from one of the Model Magazines and has modifications to the window arrangement and re-painted by Nigel, I also love it to bits - I shall be reluctant to give it back.

Boy oh boy, Basingstoke Show what a weekend, I enjoyed every minute of it, My thanks to the organisers I thought the show was a credit to them all, my thanks to PaulRHB for posting the Vids, my thanks to all who called by and said hello (NSEDAZ, I am sorry to hear of your news,I look forward to seeing you soon)and a special thankyou to Temeraire and Pitbull for being load shifters, taxi services, track fixers, loco providers, coffee geterers, train operators, and just being bloody good company and fun.

Heres hoping to do it all again at Wilton on the 7th and 8th of May

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

thanks for letting me have a go on your layout much appricated. it was the first time i used digital control so i was a bit worried i was going to crash your stock. Sorry i had to go early mum had to be picked up from the shops. if you need any help with shows then im happy to help i will IM my details to you. hope the you had a good time at basingstoke on sunday.

cheers Jaeson

Hi Kevin

thanks for letting me have a go on your layout much appricated. it was the first time i used digital control so i was a bit worried i was going to crash your stock. Sorry i had to go early mum had to be picked up from the shops. if you need any help with shows then im happy to help i will IM my details to you. hope the you had a good time at basingstoke on sunday.

cheers Jaeson

Thanks Jaeson, I wonder if you really know what you are letting yourself in for, as for crashing the stock I have been DCC for a long time but still manage to crash.

Heres a couple of pictures taken at the weekend, I always look forward to take pictures at shows because shots are available that are not at home.

I hope that you like em!

The new and old fiddle roads together, Usually at home the cassette storage racks are in between them - hence the gap.

post-5799-0-51928800-1300184929_thumb.jpg

And it is good to see ye old cottage again as it has been buried under general clutter whilst the new work has been going on.

post-5799-0-79806700-1300185108_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Kevin

Great layout, been following this thread for ages. I have a question. You are using NCE (power or pro cab?)DCC and according to the Model Rail article RR & Co for the automation of the passenger services. I am using an NCE power cab and want to do something similar with my passenger services, are you using block detection in the control? A brief description of how you system is set up would be really appreciated if you have time.

Regards

Dave

Hi Kev,

Looking good as always, another question those Powyll Duffryn wagons visiting the layout behind tractor 711 are they scratch built/part kit built? I'm after making a couple i have appleby bogies which would go on an do the job its just the chassis an body which looks to be a challenge on these type of wagons.

Cheers, Rich.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

Looking good as always, another question those Powyll Duffryn wagons visiting the layout behind tractor 711 are they scratch built/part kit built? I'm after making a couple i have appleby bogies which would go on an do the job its just the chassis an body which looks to be a challenge on these type of wagons.

Cheers, Rich.

Hello chaps,

Richard60098. Hi Rich the Powyll Duffryn Wagons are indeed scratch built but sadly not by me so I cannot comment to much about them, the bogies would appear to be made from partly Cambrian bits and pieces blended with plasticard to make the correct profile and extremely good they are too, especially when you consider how long ago they were built, I am grateful to Nigel Crow for the loan of them:-

Here’s some more pictures of them.

post-5799-0-00378300-1301490179_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-05767800-1301490214_thumb.jpg

Kipford. Dave in relation to the automation on Leaford, I thought I would go some way to explain how it has been done, but I must stress I am in no way an expert on Railroad & Co or indeed in any thing to do with DCC , in fact before I can start I must thank Two Tone Green and John from Bromsgrove Models because without their help and advice the automation certainly would never have happened.

The Components. Listed below are the components I have used on this project made by manufacturers of my preference, there are many other components available made by other manufacturers which could be used as well or instead :-

NCE Power Cab. When used with the Power Pro they are regarded as throttles, but as they do not have means to be connected to a desk or lap top computer they would not on their own be suitable for this.

NCE 5 amp Power Pro. Equipped with an appropriate connection to a computer. The heart of the layout it controls everything and is connected to my Laptop via the cable pictured below.

post-5799-0-41807300-1301490298_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-10877000-1301490342_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-98214300-1301490368_thumb.jpg

Team Digital SMD 82 Switch Machine Driver. Connects into the power bus and then each one can drive 8 SEEP point motors, once the point motors are given an address and there direction defined they can then be controlled from the power cabs or the laptop either singularly or in routes via macros. there are 4 used on Leaford.

post-5799-0-37316000-1301490437_thumb.jpg

NCE Auxilary Input Unit. Daisy chain connects into the cab bus (each one has to be regarded as a throttle and therefore given a separate address) and all the block detectors are connected to it, each one can handle 14 block inputs. There are 3 used on Leaford.

post-5799-0-56300300-1301490474_thumb.jpg

Team Digital DBD 22 Double Block Detector and NCE Single Block Detector. The Layout is split into block sections and each block must have a detector so that individual trains can be located at all times. The live power feed for each block section from the power bus is passed through the coil on the block detector before being connected to the track (the neutral is connected to the track as per usual).

post-5799-0-14076600-1301490524_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-59514400-1301490562_thumb.jpg

Railroad & Co Gold. The software that enables all of the components mentioned to function under the control of a laptop, you can draw your trackplan onto the computer screen detailing the position of points, signals, block sections etc, you can then set the braking points for trains to stop, the speed they travel at, the order trains start and stop and so on it all adds up to fantastic fun and I can assure you that it is very addictive.

post-5799-0-47581800-1301490609_thumb.jpg

The pink sections displaying blocks occupied.

I hope that this very simple guide is of help and if you require further guidance keep an eye out in the DCC section of this forum as there are very often related questions/ topics discussed.

Dave I wish you the best of luck, automation can be quite intensive to say the least and many times my laptop has nearly gone through my dining room window with frustration, but with the help of Two Tone and John I persevered and I am told by my doctor that I will be able to go home soon.

My regards Kevin.

• Like 3

Hi Kevin,

Missed catching up with your layout for a while but I'm glad I have. That information on the electrics is very interesting and might be something to explore in the future. I also must say I really like those Powell Duffryn wagons and the 37/7 on them a few pages back. Yes very Hamworthy-esque. I spent school holidays watching that working alongside Hamworthy park. We would walk across from my Great aunts beach hut down to the furthest point and you could often see the 37 started up in the afternoon ready to take its train out from the Harbour limits and usually a good blast from the horn on the approach to the open road crossing! Glad to see you have preserved it in model form.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Wummyock, The Acid Tanks were aquired from a friend who had a friend who had constructed them from all sorts of bits and pieces, on inspection I can see Airfix, Hornby and Bachmann bits as well as Appleby kits and parts.

Anyway see what you think.

post-5799-0-62398200-1301731258_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-52575400-1301731285_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-43773300-1301731311_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-96549700-1301731337_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

Missed catching up with your layout for a while but I'm glad I have. That information on the electrics is very interesting and might be something to explore in the future. I also must say I really like those Powell Duffryn wagons and the 37/7 on them a few pages back. Yes very Hamworthy-esque. I spent school holidays watching that working alongside Hamworthy park. We would walk across from my Great aunts beach hut down to the furthest point and you could often see the 37 started up in the afternoon ready to take its train out from the Harbour limits and usually a good blast from the horn on the approach to the open road crossing! Glad to see you have preserved it in model form.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, its great when a model can stir up fond old memories, good luck with the jump but as to why somebody would want to jump of a perfectly servicable bridge is beyond me, needs must I suppose :unsure:

To srh474, Ian, Leaford is not for sale at present, and I do not know any layouts that are perhaps Ebay could be a possibility sorry I cant help.

Cheerio for now.

Kevin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Dave I wish you the best of luck, automation can be quite intensive to say the least and many times my laptop has nearly gone through my dining room window with frustration, but with the help of Two Tone and John I persevered and I am told by my doctor that I will be able to go home soon.

Kevin thanks very much for a very comprehensive reply. Sorry for the delay in saying thanks I have been away on holiday! I have the NCE USB adaptor for my power cab, so connection to the computer is no problem. My own layout is slightly simpler than yours and initially I just intend to use what is effectively a single cassette in the fiddle yard feeding two platforms on the station with two EMU's working on a shuttle basis, while the operator shunts the yard. To keep the cost down I am initially going to try 'Big Bear' software which lets you record a move, fiddle yard to station say and then use it operate a sequence. No detectors needed - I hope.

Regards

Dave

Hi Wummyock, The Acid Tanks were aquired from a friend who had a friend who had constructed them from all sorts of bits and pieces, on inspection I can see Airfix, Hornby and Bachmann bits as well as Appleby kits and parts.

Anyway see what you think.

post-5799-0-62398200-1301731258_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-52575400-1301731285_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-43773300-1301731311_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-96549700-1301731337_thumb.jpg

Kevin

They look great Kevin.Thought about attacking some Lima tank wagons myself as they appear to be of foreign types rather than UK prototypes.Wont be for the rivet counters but if they look right to me then thats ok imo.Even wondered if its possible to create clay slurry bogie wagons out of the bogie tank wagon Lima made of an EU type bogie tank.

• RMweb Premium

How can I invite this good layout to an exhibition?

You could PM Kevin through the site although he doesn't frequent the site as much as some of us! Or feel free to PM myself and I will pass on a message. Where were you thinking of asking him to attend as he doesn't travel too far from Andover if he can help it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder of the Wilton (Salisbury) Exhibition this coming weekend at Michael Herbert Hall, South Street, Wilton, Salisbury, SP2 0JS, Open Saturday 10.30am to 4.30pm and Sunday 10.00am to 4.00pm, we will be there with Leaford hopefully we will see you there.

4 Cig unit 1245 arrives at Leaford with a service from Brighton.

post-5799-0-51635500-1304342006_thumb.jpg

Class 205 waits for the platform road to form a service to Salisbury.

post-5799-0-09977000-1304342148_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin, safely back from Jersey then, a good time had by all I hope?

Liking the look of the electric unit is it all calibrated up for next week? I'm looking forward to another weekend's operating and hearing about Scott's 'new' plans.:D

Hi Kevin, safely back from Jersey then, a good time had by all I hope?

Yes thanks, despite the winds efforts to blow us all over the English Channel, I think we went by Portland twice :(

Liking the look of the electric unit is it all calibrated up for next week? I'm looking forward to another weekend's operating and hearing about Scott's 'new' plans.:D

Yes the 4 CIG calibrated and ready to plod back and forth, I am also looking forward to another good weekend, see you both then.

post-5799-0-79445200-1304361465_thumb.jpg

Kevin

• Like 1

Ah, welcome back Kevin, I trust you had a lovely time. I'm looking forward to Wilton. Shame I wont have any spending money!

See you Friday evening..

Please say hello if anyone does come along, its always nice to put a face to a name.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Evening gents.

Just back from an enjoyable first day at Wilton with the Leaford crew and thought I'd post some pics of the Exford locos 'on tour'.

post-6922-0-10988800-1304789500_thumb.jpg

'Eastleigh' sets the crane back into the stabling road as a Class 158 unit arrives from Bristol.

post-6922-0-87783400-1304789523_thumb.jpg

37671 alongside 33008 as it sets back onto its train.

post-6922-0-12462000-1304789543_thumb.jpg

The Crompton still awaits clearance from the siding as a 4-CIG unit arrives from Brighton.

post-6922-0-50087600-1304789565_thumb.jpg

A busy afternoon at Leaford.

post-6922-0-16701700-1304789585_thumb.jpg

33202 The Burma Star waits to leave with a scrap train.

post-6922-0-37912400-1304789608_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the layout in place at Wilton.

• Like 3