Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin,

Really nice to see your layout in print - even better when the magazine was waiting for me today when I came home early due to the snow! Some really great pictures and that 205 unit looks really good close up. I noticed on one of your cassettes the model crane - that looks to be a ncie model and don't recall seeing a close up in your thread at any point but if you get chance I wouldn't mind seeing that one running into the yard.

Keep up the good work,

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I noticed on one of your cassettes the model crane - that looks to be a ncie model and don't recall seeing a close up in your thread at any point but if you get chance I wouldn't mind seeing that one running into the yard.

Mark

Check out post 87 there's a photo of it there.

Check out post 87 there's a photo of it there.

And another couple of photos of it here, the crane is a standard Dapol (ex Airfix) 15tonne Diesel crane and despite its age is still one of the best of its type on the market.

The pictures show it being top and tailed by 73 128/138 along with its two support wagons to keep it company.

post-5799-082778600 1291202585_thumb.jpg

post-5799-038101800 1291202623_thumb.jpg

My thanks to Craig of Model Rail for the excellent photos in the mag (far,far better than ever I can create)and for the comments to the rest of you who have.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi there Kevin,

What can i say, this is one superb layout B) B) i love the whole atmosphere and you choice of loco's is stunning.

I hope my layout turns out half as good as yours and i will be a happy man:D

Keep the updates coming

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Kevin

Saw your layout at Romsey - very impressed. Whilst it is clear from this blog that the modelling and loco's are first rate until you see this live and hear the sounds in conjunction with the modelling - it blows you away!

Excellent work! And I have been trying to cram DCC sound into my N-gauge loco's every since!

Any news on your next outing?

Many thanks to you all for your comments.

A photo of my latest aquisition Hornby Railfreight Red Stripe Class 31 31105 my first in this livery, Obviously I have been good this year as it is my first Christmas present (I am not sure whether it is early for this year or belated for last) either way I am really pleased with it although you would have thought that they would have cleaned it first? :blink:

post-5799-013541300 1291532439_thumb.jpg

I came accross another picky of the crane.

post-5799-059816100 1291532529_thumb.jpg

And to celebrate my first year on RMweb one of the first photos I posted and one of my favourites.

"Caught in the Headlamps"

post-5799-059851600 1291532667_thumb.jpg

See you soon.

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin

Finally got my hands on the mag this weekend and there are some good photos there, also noted the comment about a roundy roundy layout! Did you get an answer about Basingstoke, and perhaps it might be an idea to post the exhibition dates for Leaford's farewell tour next year?;)

The 31 looks great by the way I assume its got sound?

Hi Kevin

Finally got my hands on the mag this weekend and there are some good photos there, also noted the comment about a roundy roundy layout! Did you get an answer about Basingstoke, and perhaps it might be an idea to post the exhibition dates for Leaford's farewell tour next year?;)

The 31 looks great by the way I assume its got sound?

Good morning Ian

Many thanks I have to say that I am more than pleased with the fantastic pictures taken by Craig Tiley,and the article written by Richard Foster, I do not understand how after a few minutes talking to a moronic old fart like me on the phone can lead to an excellent article like that. Lets here it for the Model Rail Team. :D

At the present time nothing has been finalised for next year.

And yes the 31 is fitted with Sound Chip from the usual provider and very good it sounds to.

See you soon

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Well done on getting in Model Rail, I haven't seen it yet though, probably won't get here until late January.

Love the Ped always liked them in railfreight red stripe. Did it come with Hornby sound or did you fit it youself?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kevin, yesterday I picked up a copy of Model Rail and thoroughly enjoyed reading the article. Great photos too! Congratulations on getting Leaford in the magazine, very well deserved.

Agree with Peter the Red-stripe Railfreight 31 looks superb I will definitely have to get one now after seeing your example! I am hoping that Hornby do a plain Original Railfreight version one next year!

60048 looks superb on Leaford!

Thats it now Paul, the flood gates are open. Kevin, I'm Looking forward to seeing a class 70 on Leaford in the future! :D

I must admit that it is tempting to purchase some of the excellent modern stock now being produced, but I am not so sure about a Class 70 as I dont want to frighten the grand children!!

P.C.M. wrote

"Hi Kevin,

Well done on getting in Model Rail, I haven't seen it yet though, probably won't get here until late January.

Love the Ped always liked them in railfreight red stripe. Did it come with Hornby sound or did you fit it youself?

Cheers Peter."

Thanks Peter, To be honest I have had trouble getting a copy myself, but not that much of a wait.

It is a Howes chip fitted by yours truly, I have always liked the 31's ever since they used to run on the Cardiff - Pompeys, I always liked the sound they made and in my opinion Brian at Howes has captured that sound perfectly and it is driveable, I can certainly recommend it especially with a Base Reflex Speaker, unfortunately the revolving fan has to be given the heave ho, but that sound more than makes up for it, the chip itself has to be squeezed underneath the electronics board - it just clears the cardon shaft and flywheel, I know that 31's were not exactly plentiful in my area but the Hornby one plus sound chip is just so much fun to shunt with -- I havn't stopped smiling yet :D

Grimleygrid wrote

"Agree with Peter the Red-stripe Railfreight 31 looks superb I will definitely have to get one now after seeing your example! I am hoping that Hornby do a plain Original Railfreight version one next year!"

Many thanks for your kind words Grimley, If I get another 31 it will probably be a Banger Blue one but saying that if Hornby do produce a plain Original Railfreight version in the meantime I will probably like it so much I will end up with one as usual.

And PaulRhB many thanks for your help last night and that 60 and train looks fantastic.

Regards

Kevin.

Guten abend von Freiburg!

I meant to ask Kevin, what happened to the overhead crane in all the magazine photos was it deliberately missing?

Auf wiedersehen.

Watcher Mate,

Well on the morning that the photos were to be taken, I took the overhead crane off in order to dust it and the layout, and forgot all about it until 3 days after Craig had left, another senior moment?

Cheerio,

Kevin

Timewarp at Leaford with 60048 starting a rake of MCA's. The auto program is very good we sat watching the units and parcels train come and go too.

I read the bit about automatic control, but pray tell, how do you achieve this on an end to end arrangement?

Ignore me I understand now. Spent way too long on the internet though :)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info on your Ped it does seem Howes sound chips are the go, I asked because a freind of mine has the Hornby factory sound fitted one and we both think it doesn't really capture the sound.

I remember see a blue 31 at Eastleigh in the early 80s I have a grainy pic somewere. During 1990-1 while I was working up Eastleigh East Yard I saw a Railfreight grey 31 arrive on oil train, it was uncoupled and went back LE straight away.

Cheers Peter.