Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Blimey Nigel you were quick posting those picks, many thanks as always not only for these excellent photos but for your company and also to Paul for his.

Phil the new bit added on to the Dock section is just a short spur at present which opens up more shunting possibilities, but I am thinking about extending it further if what I have in mind can be made to fit.

Scott you are most welcome to visit if perhaps you can PM me with a date that is suitable for you between now and the 18th of January (going away for a month then) I will ring you later today) and Phil and Ian too.

I very much enjoy having people visit for running sessions and the chinwag as well of course, I have two 73's on order that should be arriving soon they will certainly be something to talk about.

My thanks to everyone for your kind interest in Leaford.

Best Regards.

Kevin.     

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No Pete, to be honest I needed to do something about the Purply Blue and I couldn't be assed to respray it, so I gave the sides and roof a thinned down light grey wash first and then did my usual wipe off bit to try to achieve the "carriage washer faded blue" look - then I weathered it in my usual way and I am more pleased with it now, I hope that you like it?

In my opinion this loco is one of the best locos to appear for along time, ok I appreciate it has livery and lighting issues and that just should not be, but if you look beyond that it is very well detailed (just look at the bogies and underframe), well designed (just take the body off by unscrewing 4 screws (one in each corner of the body) and it just lifts off - no pushing and pulling or having to use credit cards)  it runs very smoothly and quiet with good haulage power, and to my eye it looks like a 73. 

My best regards.

Kevin

No Pete, to be honest I needed to do something about the Purply Blue and I couldn't be assed to respray it, so I gave the sides and roof a thinned down light grey wash first and then did my usual wipe off bit to try to achieve the "carriage washer faded blue" look - then I weathered it in my usual way and I am more pleased with it now, I hope that you like it?

In my opinion this loco is one of the best locos to appear for along time, ok I appreciate it has livery and lighting issues and that just should not be, but if you look beyond that it is very well detailed (just look at the bogies and underframe), well designed (just take the body off by unscrewing 4 screws (one in each corner of the body) and it just lifts off - no pushing and pulling or having to use credit cards)  it runs very smoothly and quiet with good haulage power, and to my eye it looks like a 73. 

My best regards.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I did read on the class 73 thread about the livery problems. The Inter City one seems to be the worst. I hadn't noticed the purply blue it doesn't show up in the pics.

Yours looks ok too me, apart from the livery problems which you would think these days should be right the model does look very good plenty of detail.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Kevin,

For some reason I was expecting to see a large logo one arriving at Leaford.

The blue one looks nice though, I can picture it on the mail train tonight with a couple of GUV's on the rear.

I am sure a large logo blue one isn't far off Scott. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Yep your right Pete, I have a Dutch one on pre-order but there does not seem to be much sign of it at present and I already have a sound chip for it - so my impatience got the better of me and ordered a Large Logo one before I left for work earlier today, probably the Dutch one will turn up now!! - and yes Pete you are right the Inter-City livery is probably the worst at present, it would almost appear that have taken the "Swallow" livery colours and painted them in the "Executive" livery style therefore bu##ering them both up.

Scott just give us a ring when you are free.

My best regards

Kevin.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin

January I believe for the Dutch one and its wrong roof colour! I think I'm going to have a go at the Inter City one myself as god knows when the next version will appear and I had my heart set on that one, and who's to say the next release will be any better, right colours but red and white stripes reversed perhaps? ;)

Are you free for fish and chips Monday night by the way if I come over?

Edited by Temeraire

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I couldn't cope with the purply blue Dapol 73 anymore and resprayed it into a more appropriate shade of Railmatch Rail Blue I decided to leave the yellow as it was in its weathered condition, now renumbered to 73 126 it heads a rake of 6 Lima 4 wheel "grainflow" Wagons onto the Dockside (these wagons were purloined for me by the forever eagle eyes of Nigel Crow, many thanks Nigel).

Also pictured is the latest arrival to Leaford another Dapol 73 this time the "dutch" one, the first obvious livery problem was the light grey roof  I resprayed mine with Railmatch Railfreight Grey witch has improved the situation but beware if you follow suit as it is not a perfect match ending up on the light side again, but I think with the roof weathered it will not be so noticeable, mind you I said that about the purply blue!!

Best regards and Happy New Year.

Kevin.

post-5799-0-42244600-1451564036_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-30468900-1451564073_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Also pictured is the latest arrival to Leaford another Dapol 73 this time the "dutch" one, the first obvious livery problem was the light grey roof  I resprayed mine with Railmatch Railfreight Grey witch has improved the situation but beware if you follow suit as it is not a perfect match ending up on the light side again, but I think with the roof weathered it will not be so noticeable, mind you I said that about the purply blue!!

Hi Hampshire Hog,

The roof of dutch liveried locos should be Executive Dark Grey and not Railfreight grey which is the bodyside colour, this is why it still looks light to you. Although as you say if you're going to weather it that might help. 

HTH

Cheers,

Many thanks for your comment Wayne, It may have been possible that some Dutch locos may have had executive grey roofs the same way that some large logo 50's had black roofs, I am by no means an expert on individual locos within the different classes of the day, but it would appear that not only Dapol are guilty of painting the roofs of their locos the wrong colour - below are examples of Bachmann. Hornby, and Heljan (two examples, the early and the latest 33) It is true that some of the examples pictured are weathered but I think it can seen that the roof colour is the same colour as the bodysides (definitely not executive grey) and in the case of the early Heljan 33 it is a brand new bodyshell, From previous experience back in the day when these liveries were current railfreight grey was always the chosen colour to replicate the Dutch livery

Best regards and Happy New year.

Kevin.

post-5799-0-84974500-1451666710_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-17434200-1451666747_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-22254000-1451666776_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-02298600-1451666808_thumb.jpg

• Like 9