Marston

Andrew P

Hi all. well the Culvert has gone in today and already there is some old sewerage coming out, (we thats what it smells like) dry.gif I will build in some sort of smell for exhibitions, that should please the other operators around me. :yahoo: Still more grass to do, the sauce bottle DID NOT WORK, it may be the grass I was using, I will try that first if that doesn't work then I will have to buy one of the proper ones.

post-9335-0-01526200-1312228277_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-59380300-1312228297_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26337600-1312228319_thumb.jpg

Hi All, Well on page one there is a picture of the warehouse in font of the fiddle yard, once I had boxed in the fiddle yard and put in the warehouse in position and stood back for a while it looked wrong. The boxing in effect dominated the whole layout and and detracted from the peaceful rural setting of the Station end, so the layout became out of balance. After chatting to my mate Jeff he suggested that I put the fiddle yard on to the end of the board to give a longer run out from the Station. This has also resulted in a head shunt for the Station Yard at the back and made a job for a second operator at shows as it can now be shunted without coming on to the main running line until departure. Another benefit is that it has made better use of the Provender Store and made a bigger goods yard at that end. See what you think!

post-9335-0-42241100-1312531781_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99559000-1312531828_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15532000-1312531885_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Hello Andy,

It's all looking very nice indeed and in a short time you'll have a very pleasing layout. The provender store looks fine where it is to my eye; likewise the girder bridges are also just right. Once the track is ballasted the whole scene will look great!

All the best

Simon

Hi Andrew, i think it looks alot better, definatly opened the layout up and i think you will have some nice flowing scenery instead of it coming to a dead holt as before.

I like the idea of the second operator to shunt the small yard, will add a little more interest at shows

great job mate

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I'd amend the track near the store so it doesn't run parallel to the board front. Skew the two tracks over so that they get closer to the front the further away they get from the bridges. That will give the store more area to live in and extra space to start something to hide the fiddle yard.

Thanks Neil, Simon, Chris and Colin, I have been playing around a bit more and I have put a colliery branch going left as it leaves the Station. This will be mainly mineral wagons with full loads out of the colliery, run around in the Station and then depart down the main line and empties doing the opposite. Chris's idea of putting the provender store at an angle is much better. I am hoping to do a double stone bridge out of DAS as I did with St Budoc as the exit to the fiddle yard and a lane down to the store.

post-9335-0-79960600-1312643394_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-66508100-1312643415_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76942300-1312643435_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01560700-1312643456_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris, just had a couple of hours operating it and it is quite complicated to shunt due to the fact that there are sidings both sides of the run round loop in the platform. The station head shunt for the provender store is just long enough for a Loco (normally class 25 or 27 size) and 3 wagons. Finding somewhere to put the brake van is always a challenge! I am now enjoying it a lot more, again, thanks for your advice and encouragement. Andy.

Hi Andy, Marston is looking very good, l like the gentle curves, looks very realistic, the road coming down to the goods yard is a big improvement on your original idea, l do admire how quickly your layouts come together, the time l have built the baseboards for mine, yours is finished, in a magazine and at some railway exhibition, truly amazing, and l thought you would be bored in retirement.......keep the progress pictures coming, well done............

Hi,

Love your layout. The bridges are something I've always wanted on a model railway, and you've executed them perfectly. Also like the improved road to the provender store. The single line looks much better!

Will keep watching with interest:)

Regards

Lee

Hi Andy

great progress and i like the colliery branch you have added, gives some nice scope for detailing around the goods provander too, are you having a road come down off the road bridge to the goods yard??

Nice greenery too, great work and look forward to more

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been busy this week working on our new Layout up at our club and doing the GCR Ruddington show with Deesdale Road. I have made a start with the new fiddle yard board and will post some pic's soon. Yesterday at 3pm I ordered a sound chip for my Class 20 from South West Digital and 9.30 this morning it arrive, normal post so really good service. Fitted it within minuets and it sounds a treat so I have now ordered one for my Class 27 and 108 Unit. I will buy the Bachmann 25 in Blue when It comes in.

post-9335-0-75929100-1313784266_thumb.jpg

you cant beat a 20 with sound Andrew, i think i may have to follow suit :yes:

Neil

What! I thought you wanted a fleet of 56's as on Not Ingley or is that as well ? your as MAD AS ME MATEY. I wasn't going back down the sound road but after hearing the 20 and 25 at Ruddington I was hooked.

I know mate, i change my mind like the wind and i always want everything hahaha, i think im just longing for that lottery win, i was hooked running them on Outon Road, love the wheel squeel :)

I know mate, i change my mind like the wind and i always want everything hahaha, i think im just longing for that lottery win, i was hooked running them on Outon Road, love the wheel squeel :)

I was GOING TO GET a selection of STEAM SOUND A4, Duchess, Castle, Black 5 etc to do preserved Steam Shed and then I worked out how much 10 to 15 Steam Sound locos would cost me. Yes we all want that lottery win, I might even end up with a BIGGER ROOM :locomotive:

Archived