Marston

Andrew P

Hi Guy's and Gal's, It's time to start another thread as a new layout is under way. After Kingsmill, Glen Roy, St Budoc, and Deesdale Road I wanted another change of direction. I am not one of those who can focus on just one subject for a lifetime (although I do admire the work and tenacity of those that can keep on the strait and narrow). Marston is set to be about 1968 i.e after steam and up to about mid 1980's or so and is a small branch, originally a colliery line set in the Derby, Wirksworth, Matlock triangle. It started as a Mill Town, with the canal as a means of transport for goods before the railway came and grew with the advent of the coal industry and later tourisum to the area around Marston and the lower Peak District. These earlly pic's show the terminus and sidings after the wiring and test running had been competed. More pic's will follow as I progress and hopefully it will be ready for the RM Web show next July with Andy Y's permission. P.S I bought the wharehouse at the RM Web show.

post-9335-0-41219800-1310999888_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-53625700-1310999903_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49128400-1310999922_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrew, very nice start, i like the flow through the platform roads, much better than a straight road in, i noticed the low level part in the 3rd pic, in front of the warehouse siding, is that going to be a river bed of some kind??

great start Andrew, will be watching the progress

Neil

hopefully it will be ready for the RM Web show next July with Andy Y's permission.

Excellent, you can take that as a done deal. :) I like the curvature you've included.

Hi Andrew,

I like the look of your layout - the track work seems to flow very nicely from the way you have curved it gently and has a lot of operational potential as well to keep you busy. I will keep an eye out for your progress.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Andrew, very nice start, i like the flow through the platform roads, much better than a straight road in, i noticed the low level part in the 3rd pic, in front of the warehouse siding, is that going to be a river bed of some kind??

great start Andrew, will be watching the progress

Neil

Hi Neil, The bit in front of the Warehouse will be the canal, going front to back, it was going the full length along the station board but I have other ideas for that now.

Hi All thanks for the nice comments so far. I wanted a curved platform as I had streight ones on Glen Roy and Deesdale and so I wanted a complete change. I may still put a level crossing at the end of the Platform so as I can add another board for through running some day. That will connect it to the main line like Sherringham!

Like the new layout andy, different from others you have built, like the graceful curves, looking forward to the updates on the progress of marston bridge, inspirational, well done..............

looking good drew,are you still going for the ballast loading option? keep up the good work,bob

Hi Bob, No SORRY I have knocked the Ballast loader on the head for now, but may be another day.

Hi All, Well overnight there has been a slight change to the platforms at Marston to give me a better goods yard. I have moved the tracks over a bit and filed in the gap with a large loading bay and an end loading dock of cobbles. It means I have lost the Bay Platform but the yard is of more use. The pic's show the fencing being held up buy my assistant to give a better understanding of how it will look. The cobbles need a coat of grey, brown and weeds and the fence fixed and weathered. I will then take my assistant off of his plastic base. Also the canal is now in use after being cleared by the Canal Preservation Trust.

post-9335-0-92422500-1311264792_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91237200-1311264964_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54590000-1311264983_thumb.jpg

Nice looking project in the making there. I'm pleased to see the warehouse has found a good home, it looks far better on there than it ever did sat on the shelf in my garage!

Hi Ranger, Yes I am pleased with the warehouse thank you, and I will be adding to it to box in the fiddle yard

I hope.

Hi All, I am looking for advice. I am wondering weather or not to try and squeeze in a goods shed on the road with the 25 and grey vans(see photo above) also dose the Provender store look right opposite the platform? Please give me some in put,as I don't want to over crowed the layout with buildings. I was thinking of just a grass embankment along the back in that area. Thanks. Andy.

My opinion

Goods Shed a definate no-no....Would start to look too crowded, grass bank much better....

Provender Store looks fine where it is (then again Im just doodling a very similar arrangement , so maybe Im biased! ;) )

Hi Mickey, Thanks for that, I am always being accused of trying to cram in too much and this time I am trying to get a better balance. You have confirmed my first thoughts so thats good, Cheers matey. Andy

Andy

I agree with Mickey... less is more.

Hi Chris, a mate of mine (Binny) said I should call the layout LESSISMORE, to remind me of how it should look.But then I said no MOREISMORE is better. Think I will stick with Marston, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. Andy.

Guest oldlugger

Keep up the excellent work Andy! If you can make this as good as your O gauge layout it will be a corker!

Cheers

Simon

Hi, I have been busy the last couple of days with the goods yard and putting lights in the station waiting room and provender store. All the WHITE is from the masking tape I use to form my scenery, I brush it over with PVA. Once dry I will mix some earth colour and more PVA to give a base colour for the ground. I want to try static grass and I am going to try a puffer bottle before I spend a lot on an electric device.

post-9335-0-16793100-1311625175_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42717700-1311625206_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-51696500-1311625222_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16063800-1311625241_thumb.jpg

Hi All, Started work on the canal bridges today. The one at the front is a Wills kit modified to fit and the one at the rear is a Peco fit with the ends cut off, (not sure if I am happy with this yet?). Still weeds, reeds and mooring posts to at add to the tow path and water then more varnish.

post-9335-0-40815300-1311965512_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71496200-1311965539_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26512500-1311965564_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14843200-1311965584_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrew

I think they look very good, i would be pleased if i was you, i like how the front one opens up to view the rear, nice work mate and the canal looks fantastic, somthing id like to have a go at on my next project

Neil

Archived