Modern image magazine

gwrman

Hi, I was just wondering what you think about the need for a modern image monthly magazine, I know there is the supplement in the Rail Express Magazine, but some of the monthly's seem biased towards steam layouts and modelling. Also a OO gauge society which caters for all eras, there is a society but on the web site seems to be all steam.

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I was just wondering what you think about the need for a modern image monthly magazine, I know there is the supplement in the Rail Express Magazine, but some of the monthly's seem biased towards steam layouts and modelling. Also a OO gauge society which caters for all eras, there is a society but on the web site seems to be all steam.

Nigel

Hi

There once was one called Modern Railway Modelling and lasted about three years it was published by the same people that do British Railway Modelling. Personally I felt it was quite good.

Cheers

Paul

* 'UPdate' is an all 'modern' mag produced by DEMU for their members, although it's quarterly.

* 'Red Death' is a 'D&E' quarterly electronic mag published and distributed to members of the NGS 'Modern' Area Group.

* 'Rail Express Modeller' is a supplement in Rail Express (as you mention).

* AFAIA 'Traction' magazine is also trying to develop and include a regular modern modelling section.

G.

The subject of the commercial realities for magazines and how they determine their content has been the subject of many topics in the past, such as http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38383

That one, which is your research topic for today ;), was eventually locked when it started going round in circles and OT.

If there is genuine new insight to be aired fine, but let's not go over all the old ground again please.

some of the monthly's seem biased towards steam layouts and modelling. Also a OO gauge society which caters for all eras, there is a society but on the web site seems to be all steam.

Nigel

They will be 'biased' to whatever they can sell as many magazines as possible on, they are doing it for profit and not to benefit the community. Sad but true! Id be considered 'young' in railway modelling terms, but even my chosen period is 'historic' lasting approx 10 years and ending almost 15 years ago - Sectorisation

DOGA does cater for all eras : there's certainly no exclusion of any period (I'm a member and I'm a modern image modeller)

However as a practical issue a majority of members seem to model steam, and there is no doubt that DEMU does exert a pull on those modelling the last 50 years in any gauge. If you know of 50 people who want to join DOGA and model modern image , I'm sure the membership secretary would be delighted to sign them up and the Journal editor delighted to recieve articles from them.... If the winner of "kit-built /scratchbuilt loco " in the AGM competition is a whitemetal kettle , because nobody entered any kit built diesels , there's not an awful lot the photographer taking pictures of the winners can do about it......

As for modern image magazines - it was tried, the magazine failed (for whatever reason) , there are already lots of magazines out there and doubts whether the market can sustain them all in the long term ; and realistically, in the unlikely event someone launches a new mag, it's most unlikely to be modern image, because that isn't perceieved as a commercially successful formula

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with Rav' here.

Take a look at the newstands of WHS or similar and look at what is on offer.

Without exception thay are commercial publications from a publishing house seeking to provide a profit to the shareholders.

You could say that the only non steam modelling titles are the insert in Traction and the insert in REx. IMHO this is obviously because there isn't sufficient interest in a full standalone D&E mag. I had a few issues of MRM but it probably never "washed it's face" because it is not around today.

Another major problem is probably the diversification many enthusiasts enjoy these days. Although there are many "mixed traffic" modellers out there, there are also goodly numbers of people with a particular "bent" such as class 50s, or anything post-privatisation. This leaves others clamouring for early 1970s blue "D numbers", or 1960s West Highland modelling etc.

Most magazines need support to exist and I think the existing D&E modellers support their individual choices.

Archived