Another unknown location

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few new slides added into my WEBSITE but as usual a couple have beat me for location. Hopefully someone on the forum will nail the locations. FYI.

p575063783-3.jpg

47621 but where? Single centre road like Durham but it's not there.

p875690229-3.jpg

33058 but where? Looks to big for Hither Green. Maybe Stewarts Lane?

p538098247-3.jpg

33030 but where? Southern station as third rail is visible. Distinctive garage outside and a modern style open footbridge.

Headcode 55 is/was Reading to Tonbridge via Redhill so not much help there!

• RMweb Gold

Southern station as third rail is visible. Distinctive garage outside and a modern style open footbridge.

Headcode 55 is/was Reading to Tonbridge via Redhill so not much help there!

But not much of that route had third rail in them thar days! Reading-Wokingham, Ash-Guildford, Reigate-Redhill - which reduces the number of stations enormously! I do wonder if it's Reigate, with that garage being on the A217, i.e. the road south of the level xing.

Reading-Wokingham

could be Wokingham. there was a garage in approx that position on the south side of the station and a white painted house. Between the two was a car sales 'building'. The wall is about the correct height and looks like the right brick. There is also an open footbridge - looks about right.

• RMweb Gold

could be Wokingham. there was a garage in approx that position on the south side of the station and a white painted house. Between the two was a car sales 'building'. The wall is about the correct height and looks like the right brick. There is also an open footbridge - looks about right.

I reckon it's Wokingham - the signal and footbridge are right as is the wall already noted but 'beyond the railway fence' has changed quite a bit since then!

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a date for the '55' headcode 33? There were a few rush-hour loco-hauled turns with maybe 3 Mk1s on that line surprisingly late (possibly 1980).

From the SEMGonline headcode list 1981.

Many thanks to all that identified the first location as Wakefield.

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm that 33030 is at Wokingham....a quick whizz round on Google Street view helped, many thanks to all those who pointed me in the correct direction ( no pun intended ). Streetview shows the Garage has gone replaced by Barratt boxes but the distictive white building on the left of the picture still exists.

From the SEMGonline headcode list 1981.

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear, I meant a date for the photo - the headcode would have been valid later than the end of loco-hauled services. I was wondering if the photo was of a regular service or a special working.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear, I meant a date for the photo - the headcode would have been valid later than the end of loco-hauled services. I was wondering if the photo was of a regular service or a special working.

The slide is undated.....from the batch its in I would guess mid to late 70's.

Living in Brighton a trip to Reading via Guildford I can only remember Tadpoles, then the Gloucester cross country DMU's and Networkers. Don't remember any regular loco hauled services, It could be an excursion or possibly a Holidaymaker to Portsmouth via Guildford( driver using the correct headcode for the part of the route he covers).

Wasn't aware of any loco hauled locals over the route.. I have some WTT's for 1979/80 I'll have a look through them.

thanks

The 1978-9 Central Division carriage workings show a 10:30 van train from Reading to Redhill (Mondays excepted), formed 3 BG, GUV (Redhill); CCT (Brighton); CCT (Woking) all received at Reading off of 03:55 vans from Rugby. On Wednesdays only as required the Redhill portion was strengthened by a CCT. The Redhill vans were listed as LMR. The passenger workings were mostly 3R though a few 3H were listed too.

In the late 70s (Tadpole period), I caught a rush-hour local from Redhill-Tonbridge, which was 33 with maybe 3 coaches. They needed 5 out of 6 Tadpoles just to run the normal hourly Reading-Tonbridge.

If your pic was a van train, wouldn't it have had an alphanumerical headcode? Or did they share all-number ones if they were on a route that coincided with a passenger all-numerical code?

Archived