Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Please note: This layout has changed so much since page 1 and does not resemble my original plans.

Hi,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and start a topic, thought about Blogging it but decided this was the better option for me.

Bocott initially appeared on RMweb 3 where it was a small diesel stabling point, the basis behind it was to practice some modeling techniques and run a few trains. That was 6' x 1' and to be honest I got fed up with it because I wanted something bigger.

I have now started to board out the garage/workshop, and originally I was just giong to use one side of the building but I have now decided to use 3 sides and possibly connect the 4th so I can have a roundy roundy. The boards are 2' wide.

My era is 2000 ish to present day, but I really should cap it otherwise I will be forever getting new stock. There is no set region although I live on the south coast and frequent Southampton, Eastleigh and Westbury as often as I can so those area's will be influential. It will be OO gauge.

I do not have a track plan as yet, I tend to throw track down and see what it looks like, I have drawn all sorts of elaborate track plans only to find they don't fit, hence the track throwing.

I will be doing it mostly on my own, however there are a couple of friends I can call upon who are very knowledgeable, especially when it comes to electrics. I am using DCC (sound as and when I can afford it)

and I hope to have a minimum of a double track loop plus a couple of stations, stabling point and a yard of some description. I do like freight trains biggrin.gif

I prefer operating to model making so I have to make the track plan interesting but at the same time as prototypical as my minimal amount of modern working knowledge allows.

I would like to have working signals too, but that is some way off..

I am not a rivet counter by any means, I take my hat off to you if you are, I couldnt do it. But saying that I like it to look fairly real.

thats it for me for now as the mrs has just come home and will moan I'm on the computer.

Photos to follow as soon as I take some.

Cheers

Scott

Sorry for lack of photos at this stage, but I was online and thought now is the time to start a thread. It will develop. If I could work out how to link my previous thread on the old RMweb I would...

Scott - good to see a thread on the new RMweb... (shame it's not a blog ;))

Here is a link to your thread on the old forum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25104&p=782620&hilit=bocott#p782620

(Basically to view the old forum you can type in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum)

Sounds a fun project and one with some longevity. I'd suggest getting something down to keep you entertained whilst other aspects progress - maybe the running lines first before the yards and stations develop - then the scenics can be build up as you progress.

I'd suggest getting something down to keep you entertained whilst other aspects progress - maybe the running lines first before the yards and stations develop - then the scenics can be build up as you progress.

I always find that, once I can start running trains round and round, that's as far as my building goes... lol

Cheers guys, thanks for the support and thanks James for the link.... I like the idea of getting the running lines done first, sounds like a plan.

I just have to keep reminding myself not to over do it with track. I'm sure I can convince myself that less is more.

I've just started my 7 day shift so work in the garage will be limited for the week. Juggling work, family life and trains is never easy as I'm sure most of you will agree...

I will get some pictures up, promise.

Thanks again

Scott

Hi Scott,

Good luck with your new project, I think next time you are at Westbury have a good look around I ticks a few boxes. Loco stabling point, though that may have gone by now but a busy yard area next to a station that has a reduced track plan to give that modern minimal look. Further round the layout you could have the cement works with 08 tripping wagons to the yard, Oh and plenty of nice scenary.biggrin.gif

Just a thought.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

I agree with you, Westbury is full of inspiration and ideas. I remember going round teh stabling point on Sunday mornings (in the days before H&S) Even then I thought it woul dbe a great place to model.

I think it is a possibility although I would have to reduce the track plan some what, I was planning on doing the one end of a station into the fiddle yard idea so may have to also adapt that.

Its certainly food for thought.

For those of you not familiar with Westbury, here are a couple of photos from the bridge over looking the station.

post-6849-12593901998207_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12593902356381_thumb.jpg

And one of the famous white horse.

post-6849-12593903372129_thumb.jpg

Hmm, that really has got me thinking now.

Cheers

Scott

#photos are my own and not copied from anywhere#

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have a bit of an update, but alas still no photos.

I have laid the track on one side of the garage, and I have started to wire in some of the sidings.

As much as I liked the idea of Westbury I have decided not to base it on that station but still in the region.

There is a double track with a through station at one end with a bay platform. This also doubles as a headshunt for 3 sidings, there is also a warehouse to the side of the station that at the moments is either going to be some kind of distribution centre or a Royal Mail depot. I am going to have to use a bit of modellers licence as I want to use some old blue parcels GUV's. I really like them and need to incorporate them into the layout. I will pretend they are trying out a new service or something similar...

The other option is to run two era's on the layout, 90's and today ish.

I have just started the wiring, I am using a double slip and that was surprisingly easy to wire up, two wires and it works a treat.

I will get some photos sorted as I know you lot feed off of them!

I have to thank Leaford and Widnes vine yard for the indspiration, of course it will never get to their standard but I'll have a go.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I will update again soon, I am on leave as of tuesday so hopefully I will be able to crack on.

Cheers

Scott

I have tried to upload some photos of the layout but for some reason when I click on the attach images all it says is loading but nothing more than that, so I thought I would be clever and start a gallery and have a link to it but I cant even upload onto that either... Not sure what sgoing on because I haven't had any trouble in the past.

The only update I have is that my B&G 4-cep has arrived today, I was hoping the 21 pin decoder would too but it hasn't. The 4-cep is way out of my era but it reminds me of my youth and it is a really good looking model. Now I know its not the same unit that ran with the 33's on the Weymouth line but I do plan to have it running with a push pull 33 and my excuse is its used for railtours, the other option is to have a 3rd rail branch similar to Lymington and use it as part of a heritage line..

So thats a b&G emu, a class 33 in blue and my blue Express parcels GUV'S making an appearance, hmm maybe I will have to have two eras instead.

I will keep tyring with the pictures, not that they are anything special, just of my work in progress.

Thanks for looking

Scott

Thanks to Mozzer for asking the question about problems with images and Hugh for answering the said question I can now upload my images... Not worth the wait I know, but at least you can see what I have been trying to describe.

The photos show ones side of the garage, it will eventually go round all 4 walls but I thought I would concentrate on one side at a time,

From the photos you can see the 3 sidings the double track main and also a run round/slow line option.

Looking the other way, towards the right hand curve this is going to be the station, its a double track with bay. I think it will be bi-directional as my plan is for one of the lines to go to a dock area (fiddle yard) where there will be scope for freight and a regular passenger service to serve the channel ferry that operates from there.

The platform was originally going to go around the whole bend but the gap between the track and platform to allow clearance on some parts is far to big and looks silly. I guess thats to do with the radius, but I'm stuck with it so I have shortened the platforms so they can now only handle 3 car dmu's.

The idea being that its a fairly new station designed as a parkway style one but also to serve the leisure complex that will be in the corner.

Since I took the pictures I have put in one of the platforms (ish) so will take some new ones soon.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for reading (if anybody is).

post-6849-12615045138518_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12615046680304_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12615046719934_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12615046780751_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12615046811733_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

EDIT the potatoe was left by my 2 yr old, know idea why he had it! and the 47 is used by him to push around the tracks, it won't used on the layout...

Cheers guys,

Stuart I have been seriously considering changing it to a 90's era layout, but I have too much newer stock so I may just have to have the odd 90's era night. but my 47's would have to be large logo rather than just blue.

60maniac, I will try and update this as often as I can, now that the photo issue is resolved that will help.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks again for the comments, next stage for me is to build a lift out section which comes just after the right hand bend, I have a large door there that requires access. I have a plan but not sure how well it will work as I'm not great when it comes to DIY...

Pete,

well done with the photo,of course I don't mind..

I need another trip to westbury, a new shunter has arrived and I need it!

I start nights tonight so not sure any modelling will get done so I shall wish you all a Merry Christmas just in case...

Be safe

Scott

Haven't done a lot but I have started to build the station building, its an old builders plus kit that I have managed to find. I had one many years ago, it must be 20 years or so and always liked the modernish design, especially back then. It also reminds me a bit of Poole station building.

Anyway, its not finished by a long shot, the roof is just placed on (held down by a track rubber) the glue is still drying in some places onother bits. I want to put staff and customers into it and ticket machines etc...

I also have to remove the bits around the window frames.

The area in front of the building and to the right along the baseboard edge will be the car park and the entrance into the distribution depot. Although I'm thinking of changing it to a Network Rail siding. In anticpation of the Bachmann MPV's.

But like anything, its all subject to change. Only yesterday did I have a discussion about moving house, if that happens then I think whats the point of going around the whole garage. I'm ina bit of a dilema at the moment.

Enough of my rambling again, here are the pictures.post-6849-12619180287449_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12619180474495_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12619180668917_thumb.jpg

I know it looks a bit wonky, its only because its not fixed down. ;)

Cheers

Scott

I have managed to get a bit of time in the garage today, I decided that I need a base for the station building to go on, so I have been playing around with that, I have attempted to build some steps and a ramp for the less able. Its coming together ok, obviously not in the same league as a lot of people on here but it keeps me happy..

Just waiting for some glue to dry, and I may get some more photos done a bit a later.

Thanks Lukasz and 60maniac for the comments, its not my favourite part of the hobby by a long shot but I need to try these things, unless Hornby or Bachmann produce a ready to plonk modern station building then I'll set fire to the cardboard one. It will give the sleepy Bocott fire crew somthing to do!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I hope that you had a good christmas with your family, the layout is looking great I wish I had that sort of space, the one end of station to fiddle road idea would be ideal for the western end of Westbury as it would leave you more space for the TMD and yard,If I can help at any time just give us a shout.

My best regards

Kevin.

P.S. It's great news about Hornbys VEP eh!

Hi Scott,

Hope you had a great Christmas. The layout is looking good, one word of advice is really take your time laying the track and give it plenty of testing before you start ballasting.icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

Archived