Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Cheers guys, Ian I will hold you to the party!

Yellowvanman, I find the hammer really drives home the pin, although it does tend to distort the track slightly..

Satan's Goldfish, I am dreading the scenery, I know I will find it difficult to stop running trains around. And I'm going to hunt the key again before I go and buy a new one, because you are sooooo right, it will be staring me in the face upon my return.

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a bit to report, not a lot though.

Where to start, ok fiddle yard for the up an ddown line is now complete, including wiring, but Point motors are yet to be fitted. (and purchased)

There has been a slight change to the track plan, I have removed the line linking the yard to the main line, which comes from the right on the track plan. My reason behind this is that I thought the curve was too tight for some of my wagons and I didn't wan't to risk the derailments. The other reason is because I wasn't happy with the lift out section, I removed it a few times and when I put it back again I couldn't get it lined up as accurately as I would have liked. So it's gone.

The yard remains and has a sppur at the end of the sidings which allows locos to run round, and its long enough to take a doubel header. I think it will add to the shunting.

There has also been an addition to the board, Ive added another 2' x 7' board which is reached via the docks line. It is going to contain a 3 platform seaside terminus station. Served by DMU's with a possible parcels service, although there is no run round facility so that may not happen. It wont be big enough to have its own pilot and I can't imagine the shunter being sent up from Bocott to help out..

I have taken some pictures of the new board in situ but my computer seems to crash when I attempt to download them, so at the moment its not happening but I hope to resolve it soon.

Thats it for the update so far, I'm back to work tomorrow so time will be limited for the next week.

One final thing to mention is to say thanks to Kevin (Hampshire Hog) of Leaford for letting me play trains all weekend at Melkshan (Trainwest) It was a great weekend and my first go at a two day event. Leaford performed faultlessly it was me that was the problem.. Seriously though, if my layout performs aswell as Leaford I will be very pleased.But i have a long way to go yet.

Many Thanks

Scott

Edit: Thats confusing when I clicked the photos to upload they wouldn't do it, so I cancelled the update and now I see they have appeared. Weird! Anyway the top one shows the line into the extension and also the fiddle yard which will form the Dock sidings (off scene)

The other 3 show the new board, with the station in the middle, the beach to the left and the Shopping area to the right, OK its not that clear in the picture but it is in my head. lol.

This area will give my children something to operate and also should I have any friends come to play, the person on the fiddle yard can operate it too.

post-6849-12711980288_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127119803101_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127119803535_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127119803825_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

It was good to see you again on Sunday, I was home by 7.15pm after unloading the layout back at Kevin's so it didn't take that long in the end. Are they blue parcel vans and a blue 33 I spy there, is the timeframe slipping?wink.gif biggrin.gif

Looking good though, but there's a lot of track to ballast and scenery to construct, you are going to be busy for quite a while.

Hello Scott,

Was it only this past weekend that you were telling me that you were going to keep up to the present date with your stock - I have also noticed that a blue 33 and blue parcels vans have appeared - definately some time frame slippage, and is there any truth in the rumour that there is going to be a ballasting party, and if so do we have to bring our own tamper.

The layouts beginning to take shape and is looking good, thanks for the weekend.

Regards.

Kevin.

You are all mistaken, its a 67 in EWS livery. No 33's on my layout!!! ;)

Jeff, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the ballasting and scenery, but a party could be the best way to do it. Sod the bottle, bring a Tamper! Good suggestion Kevin.

Invites in the post. :D

Right, there seems to be some sort of conspiracy, lets call it the 33 effect!

I have zoomed the picture in slightly and it is quite clearly a 67, enough of this blue 33 nonsense.. I am not confused about my modelling era, its set firmly in the present ish day.

I hope that has cleared things up. :P

look into my eyes my eyes, not around my eyes but into my eyes, your under.

When you awake you will not see a 33 and you will stop trying to convert me back to the 90's.

Ok youre back in the room.

post-6849-12712690052_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Might have to trouble you for some advice at some point too about the placing of signals.

Draw a plan and I'll add signals biggrin.gif

As to those who see a 33 in the post above it's cheating to digitally photoshop a Fragonset one into blue and edit into Scotts pic. What is the world coming too? laugh.gif

Yeah I think we will move on from the 33 issue, its obviously confusing some people. lol

Thanks Arpleymodeller, the extension will indeed become a terminus, hopefully its going to have a promenade and beach one side and a pedestrianised High street the other.

PaulRHB, thanks for that, when I get a decent plan and I'm ready for the signals I will take you up on the assistance. (like the salisbury website by the way)

JZjr, some people just cant relax enough to be put under, I'll keep trying. :blink:

Cheers for now

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report other than I have lost my motivation and I'm on the verge of lifting all the track. I was planning om spending the weekend continuing with the layout, but today I have just been in there thinking to myself, its too big a job and it will never get finished. So I have been thinking about having just one side of the garage.

I know I am lucky to have such a large room compared to a lot of people however doing it on my own will be a never ending job. (please note this isn't a recruitment ad. lol)

I think I would be quite happy with a small terminus and a depot, something that has the chance of being completed to a level that enables me to play trains in a scenic world rather than just track and board.

I shall keep you posted, at the moment I have the idea of terminus-FY-depot, that way I can operate either one, or both if mates/kids want to have an operating session.

I'm actually quite excited about the new prospect. At least the rest of the garage will now be able to accommodate my chill out area, TV/DVD mini bar and sofa!

Right I'm off to rip up track! ;)

Cheers

Scott

Model railways are never finished-you may think it will never be finished but when you have a smaller layout and 'finish' it you want to extend and expand.If I was you I would keep what youve got and just keep working at it-do basics like wiring and point motors and scenery follows when time permits. :)

Regards

Lewis

Cheers Lewis, I know they are never finished as such, but I wan't something more mangeable. If the new project gets to a near finished state then there is always scope for extending it. At the moment I have too much going on so this way I can feel like I'm achieving something.

I also have 3 kids and a full time job so the time was always going to be difficult to find for such a massive task. I'm glad I had a go at it because if I didn't I would always be asking what if...

Its not the end! just a new chapter.

Scott

such a shame, this was set to be a monster of a layout! But i understand the issues you are coming up against Scott, i get very bored easily without scenincs myself and its taken me 6 months to build a small 3 road TMD on my existing layout so i understand your time issues!

Your idea of a station - fiddle yard - Depot i think is a sound one :) Maybe you could include a small freight run round at the side of the station for added interest? Something to thrash them 60's on steel trains! B)

Whatever you choose to do i'm sure it will be a great outcome as your past efforts have shown!

Kind Regards,

Danny

• RMweb Premium

Oh no not again Scottwink.gif

I know where you're coming from but you don't have to scenic it all, if you look at my layout only around a third of it will have scenery.

Why not stick a bridge at the end of the station as a scenic break and another one at the end of the yard and concentrate on that area alone with just a double track to a fiddle yard on the other side, and do away with the extension for now. In the future you can then scenic it a bit at a time if you wish or change it to suit before spending time on more scenery.

Again back to my layout, I could have used all the loft which would have given me 25 x 10 foot to fill but I decided like you it would be difficult to get it all anywhere near finished so I cut down my plans accordingly to a more managable size.

I hope you haven't ripped it all up just yet, put in a scenic break at either end and look at it all again, suddenly it will look a lot more managable.

Archived