Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Hi Scott, I know what its like when you've got the empty space and you try to come up with a plan, I had many rethinks myself but they were all on paper before I laid any track.

I hope you don't mind but looking at the new plan it gave me one or two more thoughts but feel free to ignore the interferring! The new layout will work better but the bay platform access is restricted because the reception road has to be empty. How about the following:

1. Connect the bay directly to the mainline and bring the crossover from the righthand end (next to the lift out section) closer. This will give easy access in and out of the bay not affected by the yard.

2. The 3rd exit from the FY (freight only line), instead of joining mainlines near the stabling point, continue round the bend to join up with the 1st siding. Near the stabling point use your curved points to give a crossover from the anticlockwise loop to the freight line. Another crossover between the loops could be added that will give access for both directions if required.

3. Extend the new longer headshunt further to join the mainline on the lift out section just before the station crossover. This gives access for both directions at that end too.

Are you still with me??? At this point you have a self contained yard accessible from both directions with access to and from the freight line as well. (A bit like Acton maybe?)

4. Where the existing reception road is cut from the bay you gain a shorter siding for your sound fitted locos to tickover while you shunt their trains!

The new freight line round the bend also allows locos to run light engine to/from stabling point, again without fouling the mainline. Also through freights could use the yard for crew/engine changes etc. Perhaps a second siding could be turned into a loop to allow two freight trains to pass on the single freight only line?

I think I may have gone on too long so I'll shut up now! However, I hope this was of some help as I know it is so frustrating to lay all the track, and then want to change it all once you start to "play", believe me I've done it many times that is why I got all my planning done on paper until I was happy with the layout I've got now.

Besides me and Kevin will want lots of "play" value when we visit!!!tongue.gif

You know he is absolutely right!! I am looking forward to it.

Regards Kevin

Wow Ian, I think you have been thinking more about my layout than I have.. :lol:

I have amended the track plan to something that I think resembles your suggestions.. Your idea's do make sense, and I like the idea of the yard being separate from the main lines.

I have added a set of points from the main anti clockwise line after the local station but befor the right hand lift out section.

I thought that if a freight was to travel on that line then without the points it wouldn't be able to get into the yard. (If you did suggest that then I apologise as I didn't notice it) I have also kept the curved points in the top left hand corner to allow freight services to take the freight only line from the main line without going through the yard.

As for playing trains, both you and Kevin are more than welcome once I finalise the plan.

Next step will be wiring points! Oh and getting rid of my elite for an NCE power cab... Maybe control the points from that too! Ooooh its all getting very complicated.

Let me know if I have misunderstood your reviews..

post-6849-12657492940616_thumb.jpg

Kevin, if I can get to Romsey I will but I don't think mum and baby will be too impressed, however she may be glad to get rid of me for the day as I will have been home for over a week...

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Scott sorry if I'm sticking my oar on too much. I'm looking at this on my mobile in a hotel but I think u got most of my thoughts right.

The only difference is the layout top left, I would make the junction the other way round so that trains can exitthe yard clkwise to mainlines or branch, as well as enter the yard from the anticlkwise loop.

Mainline through freights can run thru station but all trains to/from freight line use the yard loop as an avoiding line. You don't then need the other crossover, I'll try to draw it for u when back home Thursday.

Sorry, forgot to add "its your railway" mate so feel free to ignore my ramblings! Oh and I think you might be pushing ur luck for a Romsey day pass!

Hi Ian, Firstly I don't think you're sticking you're oar in, I am grateful of the fresh pair of eyes, I have amended the track plan above, I get what you mean now about the top left crossover.. (i hope)

I have also removed the crossover further down the line.

I like the look of it, if only it was this easy to amend the layout. :huh:

Thanks for your efforts.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Job done, that's exactly as I saw it.

The only other thing as I said last night possibly turning another siding into a loop to allow passing, as well as the ability to run round.

If you need help with the trackwork just ask.

Good, I got there in the end...

I think a run round would be useful, it just reduces the amount of sidings, although I may be able to fit another one in towards the inner edge of the baseboard. You may be surprised to learn that the plan isn't to scale!

Thanks for the offer of assisting with the trackwork, If i get in the right mood I should be able to crack on with it, I just need some warmer weather and the kids to be out of the way. I will see how I get on.

Cheers

Scott

I have just had ten minutes in the garage, looking at the top left corner, I think that if I go for that option of the points leaving the freight line onto the main then I will have to lose the stabling point from its current location. The options are move it to the other side of the 3 lines in the top left or get rid of the virtual quarry and turn that into a stabling point instead...

The more I think about losing the quarry the more I like it..

Ive got 4 days off as of tomorrow so hopefully I will get some time out there, as long as the Baby doesn't arrive...

Cheers

Scott

Scott

I hope you don't mind but I have stitched your two station pictures together with Photoshop.

post-6665-12615263819241_thumb.jpg

Pete

I remember standing on that right hand platform back in the late 80's with my dad & it was a little different then. I have photos of class 56's all 5 59's & the odd 33 looming in & around the station. I will never forget the first time i saw a class 59 or foster yeoman i as called them fantastic machine with such long trains. Great idea to base the layout on cheers for the share of photos.

Simon.

Hi Scott

I can remember having points on a layout years ago set in a curve and they where

forever a nightmare for derailments etc, so if you can move them or ease the curves

it will help...

You could always have a carrige sidings instead of the quarry!

cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

Don't get scared off the curved points, on my last layout all the points at one end of my station were curved and they never caused any problems. Just make sure you take your time laying them and make sure the curved track flows into them without any 'kinks' and you should be okay, I used have things rattling through at full tilt without derailments.

Shame about the stabling point, can it be fitted in on the other corner alongside or instead of the main station? If it can you could still have the roads coming from the FY with no points.

I hope she can hold on until your 4 days are up!biggrin.gif Best of luck mate hope all goes well.

Ive made a bit of progress today, I've pulled up the old track plan and have filled the holes that were there for the point motors.

I have now laid the main line and bay platform on the south side, I was thinking of using wooden sleepered track for the yard so I won't be able to lay that yet as I only have concrete track at the moment.

I haven't wired the track yet but that will be a simple job, I don't think it will be long before I have a double circuit going all the way round.

Thanks to Ian for the suggestion, I can see this will be great fun to operate once the freight line comes into operation.

I will post some photos when there is something decent to look at..

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

Any sign of the new arrival yet then?

Glad to hear your making progress although I feel a bit guilty that my "interferring" caused you to rip it and start again! Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

No news yet on baby pitbull, but he isn't due until the 25th anyway, however she seems to think he will be arriving early..

Your layout plan makes more operational sense so I'm happy to give it a go, there will be plenty of freight moving about, I just need to get some more wagons..

Simon, I still like to visit Westbury, although it's a lot quieter there then it used to be, hopefully it will get busier when the sleeper reclamation type area begins.. I remember going around the depot, when there was one. I was only young but it was impressive. Don't suppose you have any photos of the depot??

Keith, I think I will stick with freight rather than carriges, I can't afford them aswell.. If only.. As for the curved points, I will have a go and see how I get on. They will suit the main station area so I hope they don't derail...

No doubt I will post my findings on here..

Thanks again for taking the time to check the updates.

Cheers

Scott

20 minutes after RMweb went down on the 16th baby Ollie made his entry into the big wide world. He and mum are now home and you wouldn't even notice, he has settled in very well, only waking once during the night!! Hope it lasts. His brother and sister are also helping out so its all happy families at the moment.

Another plus is that I now have a month off work so all things going to plan I should be able to get some more track come pay day and and get it laid. I have already progressed a bit more so its all looking pretty good.

photos to follow...

Cheers

Scott

20 minutes after RMweb went down on the 16th baby Ollie made his entry into the big wide world. He and mum are now home and you wouldn't even notice, he has settled in very well, only waking once during the night!! Hope it lasts. His brother and sister are also helping out so its all happy families at the moment.

Another plus is that I now have a month off work so all things going to plan I should be able to get some more track come pay day and and get it laid. I have already progressed a bit more so its all looking pretty good.

photos to follow...

Cheers

Scott

Well done Scott! Congratulations.

Currently waiting on our second - baby is due next thursday - roll on more sleepless nights!!!

All the best

Neil

Thanks for the congrats everyone, yes I/we are very happy, especially as he sleeps all the time!

Do you know what you're having Neil? We found out this time, it was kind of weird already knowing who was going to pop out but at least we only had to think of one name.. Good luck..

Kevin, I may be able to attend Romsey on the 7th, i've been given a weekend pass by Emma, I am on a railtour on the 6th, "coast to coast" which I didn't think I would be able to make (and forgot about it) but now that Ollie has arrived she is happy for me to get out.

I always feel a bit guilty though having time to myself and enjoying it.

Peter, I see that you are in the UK, I shall be heading to eastleigh on wednesday for a morning of watching real trains, I hope you are enjoying the sunshine!

Chris I like the "chuffed" very in keeping with the forum.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks Ian,

I managed to pop out to the garage for 20 mins today, doing some thinking time, like you do.

I was thinking about scenery amongst other things and I'm not sure where I'm going with it, its not my strong point. I like the idea of industrial/inner suburbia with high walls etc... but its a hell of a lot of walls.. lol.

I'm also not sure now about having a yard for shunting, I like the idea of a depot and possibly a few looped sidings in front of the station for holding freights before going off onto the freight branch. And thats the other thing, I have to think of where that goes too. Is it another yard, a cement terminal, quarry, oil terminal, docks, the list goes on.

Sorry for my ramblings, I guess its just me thinking out loud. (I should have done a blog)

I thik the main thing to do as someone mentioned earlier is to get the 3 running lines in and then go from there.

In the mean time here are a couple of photos, the points are in the top left hand corner of the diagram.

post-6849-126693208836_thumb.jpgpost-6849-126693211562_thumb.jpgpost-6849-126693211816_thumb.jpg

It was so much easier with a 6' plank. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Scott

Good to see your getting out in the garage still!

As for where the freight only line goes why not the "docks" then you can get away with any sort of freight going that way?wink.gif

Alternatively decide based on the wagon fleet you have or intend having.

I'd go with the loops idea at the front as then trains can be held, or split/combined using the loops with access to both ends of the train (ala Acton Yard as I mentioned before). Then perhaps just a couple of engineers sidings/compound for interest.

The curved junction looks good by the way.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the congrats everyone, yes I/we are very happy, especially as he sleeps all the time!

Do you know what you're having Neil? We found out this time, it was kind of weird already knowing who was going to pop out but at least we only had to think of one name.. Good luck..

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, we have no idea, already have a wee boy so kinda hoping its a girl but i wont mind as long as mum and baby are healthy!

Due date is 4/3/2010 - not long now! Was hoping to go to Model Rail Scotland at weekend but as its about 40 miles away i think she is keeping me on a tight leash this weekend!!!!

Cheers

Neil

Thanks chaps,

Jack the 73 is a respray, I had it done when the real 73 was released in the paint scheme, I like it, but then I've always liked the 73's.

Ian, the docks is what I was thinking, lots of operational interest then, my freight stock at themoment consists mainly of engineers stock although steel traffic is growing. I was also looking at a metals class 56, completely out of my era but I could have two.. 90's and naughties..

Neil, you know that if you went to MR Scotland your phone will ring just as you arrive... Hope it all goes to plan mate.

Cheers

Scott

Archived