Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Hi Kevin, Had a great Christmas thanks, hope yours was a good one too.

I visited Westbury today, had to see 08757, thats about all that was there anyway.

I do like the place , and I will take some ideas from it, like the sidings by the station, and hopefully a small depot like the old days. I just have to be careful not to put too much track down, which is easily said then done. I would like to have a go with the scenic side of things too.

Its just a shame I have to have a fiddle yard, I have so many ideas. :D

Thanks for the offer of help, I'm sure as I progress I will need all the help I can get, and as you say, good news about the Hornby VEP, should I put a 3rd rail down too???

Peter, thanks for the comments and advice, I'm doing as much testing as I can fit in, so far so good. I do have a chief track tester, he even has his own personaiised loco.

post-6849-12620381615243_thumb.jpg

I had to buy it when I saw it, not only does it have his name on it but his age also. Perfect.

Here are a couple more shots of the layout, nothing exciting again so I apologise for that.

The local 153 service is ready for the early off whilst the shunter is already busy dealing with the weekend engineers stock.

post-6849-12620385522011_thumb.jpg

A later shot with the local 153 on the main tracks having returned from a run to Weymouth. No Idea where the 33 sneaked in from, must have been from the railtour! post-6849-12620385706768_thumb.jpg

And finally a view of the new ramp, obviously it isn't finished, it is just put in place to make sure the size is ok. Brickwork needs some more attention but the builders aren't back until the New Year. (alright for some) post-6849-12620387035301_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Hi hope you all had a good New Year, over the past few days I have been thinking about my layout and the size/time its going to take and have been considering changing my ideas and just having it as a 'J' shape, and forgetting about the roundy roundy.

We have a new baby coming in February, so that will be 3 kids. I can see my time getting eaten up by them, so if I reduce the size of the layout and crack on with it now, hopefully I could get it to a point where I can play trains rather than still be building it. I much prefer the operating side of model railways rather than building.

I know the garage is going to be an important place for me to escape every now and again and I wan't to be able to just chill and shunt etc..

So thats my thought process, it might all change by next week but thats how I feel at the moment. The plan would be a depot and yard and of course the compulsary fiddle yard.

I'd be interested to see what others think. I haven't lost my drive by the way, im just trying to look into the future and see whats best.

Its worth noting that I help out with a friends layot who has got a roundy roundy one so any stock I have can be run in on that without any problems.

Cheers

Scott

Hi hope you all had a good New Year, over the past few days I have been thinking about my layout and the size/time its going to take and have been considering changing my ideas and just having it as a 'J' shape, and forgetting about the roundy roundy.

We have a new baby coming in February, so that will be 3 kids. I can see my time getting eaten up by them, so if I reduce the size of the layout and crack on with it now, hopefully I could get it to a point where I can play trains rather than still be building it. I much prefer the operating side of model railways rather than building.

I have 5 kids so understand the presure on modeling time. Whilst a J shaped shunting scenario will work fine you could alwas complete the circuits with plain track, so you can run 'roundy roundy' if you want then replace each section as time/money/desire (delete as appropriate) allows. Good luck with the model and the new baby!

Andrew

Right, after my earlier "moment" about completing the circuit or not I have stopped thinking and got on with it, I have put in the lift out section which crosses one of the doors. This is situated just after the right hand bend by the station building. The track will go under a bridge across the lift out section and then re appear on the other side.

post-6849-12627293502418_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the view of the other side, the idea when this pic was taken earlier was that the line on the left is a freight only line and the upside down point is a curved one, this line was going to lead to a stabling point which would be in between the freight line and the mainline which is on the right.

However, I have since thought that its probably best to keep the mainline as a double track with a line coming off it for the depot.

I'm also up for hearing ideas so please if you think of something let me know.

Many thanks

Scott

The postie arrived today with a couple of wagons for me so I thought I would have a look, and then I thought I'd just put them on the track and then.... the norm I started playing.

I took a few pictures too.

Class 60 arrives at Bocott for a crew change before continuing its journey, the two ex works wagons standing out from the rest.

post-6849-12628874474649_thumb.jpgpost-6849-1262887457887_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12628874708239_thumb.jpg

Final shot of the FGW 153 waiting to get away first, whilst the shunters argue over whos going to drive the 73.

post-6849-12628874962189_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

The postie arrived today with a couple of wagons for me so I thought I would have a look, and then I thought I'd just put them on the track and then.... the norm I started playing.

I took a few pictures too.

Class 60 arrives at Bocott for a crew change before continuing its journey, the two ex works wagons standing out from the rest.

post-6849-12628874474649_thumb.jpgpost-6849-1262887457887_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12628874708239_thumb.jpg

Final shot of the FGW 153 waiting to get away first, whilst the shunters argue over whos going to drive the 73.

post-6849-12628874962189_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

Love the latest photos and I do like the last one of the class 60 026 and the 2 ex works wagons... The Weathering of the rest looks absolutely great. Did you do this yourself or someone else well known in the modelling world do them...?

Thanks again for the photos

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I wish I could claim the weathering but alas I got them from

http://www.trainlinesdirect.co.uk/index.php

I initially picked up a couple from Warley and thought they were so good I ordered more directly from the store.

They are good and cost ??26.95..

No connection to the store just a happy customer.

Go on, do it, you know you want too. ;)

Cheers

Scott

Thanks for the interest chaps, I haven't been able to do much over the last week or so, however I have managed to move a huge work bench out from the middle of the garage which has given me loads more room to move about in.. I wan't to get out there this weekend and do a bit more.

The plan is to get some more wood to continue the baseboard, I can then start to a lay a bit more track. I will be having a stabling point and possibly a virtual quarry, depending on space. I have to get a fiddle yard in aswell so I will be trying different ideas. I don't want it too over crowded.

I will take some more pictures too, hpefully they will include overall shots of the garage so you can visualise what I'm trying to do and the space I have. I need to tidy up a bit first though!!

Cheers

Scott

Only a bit of an update, I managed to get some wood and have now got a large U shape, so I'm almost there. I am just in the planning stage for the next bit. Which is going to be from the station, across the lift out section and then 2 lines becoming 3, using curved points. The double track will continue into the fiddle yard the 3rd line is giving me something to think about.

I think what I'm going to do is to have the 3rd line run into the fiddle yard aswell which will represent a freight only line but I will also have a stabling point with the access coming from the fiddle yard negating the need for points on the viewing side. So it will be another 3 lines coming from the FY with the points off scene. And the only access into it is via the freight line.. I hope that makes sense????

I know I have mentioned photos, and I keep meaning to take some but my workshop is still a tip. Fingers crossed I will take some this weekend because I'm sure none of the above is very clear..

I'm also planning on going to the Alton exhibition too soo time is limited...

If you're going then I may see you at the 11am meet at the excellent Leaford.

Cheers

Scott

post-6849-12654005267377_thumb.jpg

Now I know this is a very poor attempt at a track plan but it gives you an idea. The bit on the right with the main station and lift out section has not been built yet and is just one idea of how I want it to be...

Any other suggestions are always welcome..

Cheers

Scott

I have finally managed to take some pictures, most of the woodwork is in place now.. just need to do the lift out section by the entrance/exit.

post-6849-12654861287044_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12654861331304_thumb.jpgpost-6849-1265486135538_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12654861381522_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12654861409647_thumb.jpg

I just need to get some more cork and track!! amongst other things..

Thanks for looking

Scott

Hi Scott,

The plan looks good, thats a nice space you have got for playing trains.biggrin.gif

As you said try not to over crowed things as you have plenty of room, keep the curves with the biggest radius you can.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Scott,

May I ask where did you get them orange and black tressels from?? and how tall and how wide are they?? I am looking for tressels just like them for me layout.

You have great space there to run trains!!

will you be running long rakes freight?? wink.gif

Cheers

Georgie

HI,

Thanks for the comments guys, after spending half the day at Alton operating Leaford it has really given me a boost to get things moving, there are just a couple of hurdles, work, cash and a new baby due in 2 weeks... So it will be a bit of a juggling act.

Paul, Firstly, yes I have now moved dept's, its only been a week so my head is a bit muddled at the moment with all the new info being fed into it, I wish it was just a case of looking out of a window. :D

Peter, I'm doing my best to resist temptation, but I think I will manage to keep to the less is more priciple.

Georgie, the trestles are from B&Q, I think they were about 25 pounda pair but cant be 100%. I will get the measurements for you over the next couple of days when I venture out there. I originally used them for Bocott Mk1, which was 6' x 1'. Its a bit different now as you can see..

I hope to get a circuit up and running this week, although I do need some more track. It will be nice to have something running round whilst I crack on with the other bits.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

Just had a look again at the plan, would it be better to have the sidings fed from the other end with the short headshunt extended round the bend? This would allow you to shunt the yard without using the mainlines or the bay, thus allowing trains to circulate while your shunting.

Its funny you should mention that Ian, it was originally going to be an end to end and the plan was based on Leaford, which would have worked fine but now I am going to have a full circuit I think I will have to change it around.

When I get out there I will have a play and see what I can do, I do want to have plenty of shunting options so keeping the main lines clear does make sense.

Cheers

Scott

Update!

I have been out and ripped up all the track where the sidings were, I have extended the headshunt to the right of th e picture and have changed the points around. I haven't wired it yet though, I don';t work that quickly. Plus it was freezing out there tonight.

I have updated the plan, what do you think? There is certainly lots of scope for shunting enterprise workings etc...

It has given me one extra siding and also two for the virtual quarry, my poor drawing makes it looked more cramped than it really is, it doesn't look like the board is full of track in real life..

post-6849-12656674535064_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian for the advice and the push to change it.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott, I know what its like when you've got the empty space and you try to come up with a plan, I had many rethinks myself but they were all on paper before I laid any track.

I hope you don't mind but looking at the new plan it gave me one or two more thoughts but feel free to ignore the interferring! The new layout will work better but the bay platform access is restricted because the reception road has to be empty. How about the following:

1. Connect the bay directly to the mainline and bring the crossover from the righthand end (next to the lift out section) closer. This will give easy access in and out of the bay not affected by the yard.

2. The 3rd exit from the FY (freight only line), instead of joining mainlines near the stabling point, continue round the bend to join up with the 1st siding. Near the stabling point use your curved points to give a crossover from the anticlockwise loop to the freight line. Another crossover between the loops could be added that will give access for both directions if required.

3. Extend the new longer headshunt further to join the mainline on the lift out section just before the station crossover. This gives access for both directions at that end too.

Are you still with me??? At this point you have a self contained yard accessible from both directions with access to and from the freight line as well. (A bit like Acton maybe?)

4. Where the existing reception road is cut from the bay you gain a shorter siding for your sound fitted locos to tickover while you shunt their trains!

The new freight line round the bend also allows locos to run light engine to/from stabling point, again without fouling the mainline. Also through freights could use the yard for crew/engine changes etc. Perhaps a second siding could be turned into a loop to allow two freight trains to pass on the single freight only line?

I think I may have gone on too long so I'll shut up now! However, I hope this was of some help as I know it is so frustrating to lay all the track, and then want to change it all once you start to "play", believe me I've done it many times that is why I got all my planning done on paper until I was happy with the layout I've got now.

Besides me and Kevin will want lots of "play" value when we visit!!!tongue.gif

Archived