Bachmann weathered wagons packs

Andy Y

Bachmann Europe is to produce triple packs of wagons in order for customers to make up block trains. Seven different packs are to be produced in OO scale and ten packs in N scale. Each of the wagons will have individual running numbers and all are weathered using the latest techniques.

The OO scale sets will be;

37-095 Coal Trader triple pack of 7 plank private owner wagons (weathered) - £27.40

37-235 16 Ton steel mineral wagons in BR grey (weathered) - £27.40

37-715 8 Ton cattle wagons in BR bauxite (weathered) - £27.40

37-715.jpg

37-981 Conflat wagons in BR bauxite with AF containers in light blue (weathered) - £29.95

37-981.jpg

38-185 BR ventilated vans in BR bauxite (weathered) - £29.75

38-340 13 Ton high sided steel open wagons in BR bauxite (weathered) £28.20

38-390 12 Ton ventilated vans in BR early bauxite (weathered) - £30.75

The N scale sets will be;

373-270 8 Ton cattle wagons in BR early bauxite (weathered) - £27.10

373-665 14 Ton tank wagons (weathered) - £27.25

373-785 45 Ton TTA tank wagons (weathered) - £32.90

377-235 16 Ton mineral wagons in BR grey (weathered) - £23.80

377-335 Conflat wagons in BR bauxite with AF containers in light blue (weathered) - £26.50

377-635 12 Ton BR plywood fruit vans in BR early bauxite (weathered) £26.80

377-840 22 Ton Presflo wagons in BR early bauxite (weathered) - £30.25

377-840.jpg

377-935 PCA Metalair bulk powder wagon in grey (weathered) £30.60

377-965 13 Ton high sided steel open wagons in BR bauxite (weathered) £26.50

377-990 12 Ton ventilated vans in BR early bauxite (weathered) £26.50

377-635.jpg

David Haarhaus, European Sales & Marketing Manager said “our customers often want several wagons of the same type to run in block trains and our new triple wagon sets gives us the opportunity to make them easier to collect. The new weathering particularly enhances the wagons which of course soon get dirty in traffic. We listen to customer feedback and I am sure many will be delighted by the announcement regarding our new triple packs”.

The sets of wagons will be available in due course from Bachmann dealers. The prices given in the text are recommended retail prices (RRP).

Great news and I hope these packs sell well. I already have some of the packs from the likes of Hattons and Modelzone, and look forward to these. Now, how about a set of Covhops, please ?

Excellent news. I've been collecting some of the triple weathered packs that retailers have commissioned, and these extra announcements will make putting together long trains easier for those of us who aren't keen on renumbering wagons ourselves. I do hope that the 16 tonners (37-235) will be weathered using the new technique that Bachmann used on the last two releases of the weathered pressed end door wagons, as these look especially good.

Excellent news. I've been collecting some of the triple weathered packs that retailers have commissioned, and these extra announcements will make putting together long trains easier for those of us who aren't keen on renumbering wagons ourselves. I do hope that the 16 tonners (37-235) will be weathered using the new technique that Bachmann used on the last two releases of the weathered pressed end door wagons, as these look especially good.

Mixed feelings about this news.

The majority of Bachmann wagons are great, but the shade of grey which Bachmann have used on their 16 tonners up until now has IMHO been oh so wrong. Not much weathering wagons which are the wrong colour to start with. I could be wrong of course and Bachmann may have chosen to revise the shade of grey !!!!

A good move by Bachmann I feel! It is also always nice for extra product announcements throughout the year

A good idea to have them weathered too, as wagons in block trains would rarely be pristine. Unfortunately, serviceable wagons on preserved railways tend to be clean, some a little rusted, but never particularly dirty, so I won't be taking advantage of these packs.

For the overall OO RTR market though, this is a commendable decision made by Bachmann!

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann clearly do listen to feedback as well as watch the marketplace. Quite a number of retailers already offer "packs" of their wagons now at a discount over the individual prices. Some also commission weathered versions of types only available pristine in general release.

There is clearly a demand for this sort of thing.

A smart move and hopefully a positive one.

• 8 months later...

37-981 Conflat wagons in BR bauxite with AF containers in light blue (weathered) - £29.95

These arrived in the post a week back, just opened them and did a cursory review.

Please Bachmann, could you implement just a bit more quality control in the way your wagons are assembled!?!

Three wagon numbers, three container numbers, nice weathering and distressing of the graphics on the containers. Perfect in every way, except for the brake levers.

On all three wagons, the lever with the clutch is on the wrong side. So all three Conflats are going to have to have all six levers pried off and re-glued on opposite sides. :mad:

This isn't a new problem, and something as simple as a diagram on the assembly line could make this problem go away...

• RMweb Premium
On all three wagons, the lever with the clutch is on the wrong side. So all three Conflats are going to have to have all six levers pried off and re-glued on opposite sides. :mad:

This isn't a new problem, and something as simple as a diagram on the assembly line could make this problem go away...

Frustrating, isn't it! I've had to swap over the brake levers on most (if not all) the Vanfits I've bought; some levers come away easily, others are impossible to remove without breaking them.

When you're earning minimum wage and worrying whether your factory will close very shortly - things like fitting brake levers back to front will mean diddly squat to the average Chinese worker...............

This is irrelevant really to the topic at hand. In China, these sorts of factory jobs are not "minimum wage". Besides, she'd be working for Kader, since they now in all likelihood own the facility she's working in, and there is plenty of work on the horizon, she's probably more worried about meeting her quota.

Bachmann used to have really bad quality control in the wheel set department. Buy ten wagons, 2-3 were almost guaranteed to have a bad axle, some very very out of round. They fixed that, I haven't had a bad axle in years. They just haven't got around to properly assembling this aspect of the brake gear components yet. And unless people politely complain...

Frustrating, isn't it! I've had to swap over the brake levers on most (if not all) the Vanfits I've bought; some levers come away easily, others are impossible to remove without breaking them.

Used to, you might be successful at prying the two attachment lugs from the holes in the frame and axle box, makes reattachment so much more secure. But the "minimum wage, worried about their jobs" assembly people, are doing such a fine job gluing the lugs into the holes, they never seem to come out anymore. At least not without warping the fragile lever.

Currently, the quickest method I have found is to cut all three attachment points with a single edge razor blade, and then reattaching with rubberized super glue. The trick is to cut each attachment point in the same place with the same slicing orientation otherwise when you swap, the parts don't match.

taking nothing away from those who have time and patience to weather every single item of stock they own, this is great news for those of us with less spare time on their hands for such things. finding time to weather ones locos is enough let alone lots of wagons.

from a purely personal POV its a shame they chose not to do the new PCA weathered tanks in packs. that may follow after the initial release......

Beware! I bought an 8 pack weathered 16T steel mineral wagons from H*****s assuming they would be assorted numbers and weathering....wrong! They are all identical. My fault, I should have read the ad. more carefully which does give the Bachmann catalog number of the wagon. Only the smaller multipacks have different wagons.

I contacted H who said they did the 8 megapack to enable customers to get the wagons a little cheaper but I really think they should have made it clear that only one variant is included, after all, who wants 8 wagons with identical rust patches?

Extra weathering and some transfers required I guess.

Edward

• RMweb Premium
I really think they should have made it clear that only one variant is included

The "megapacks" advertised are quite clearly listed with only one catalogue number which I would consider to be ample clarity that what is offered is simply a multiple of the same item. Only those packs which are occasionally commissioned as specials or released by a manufacturer clearly indicating the numbers are different will have different numbers. And even then the weathering (where applied) can sometimes be the same if it's a factory dirt-squirt.

The "megapacks" advertised are quite clearly listed with only one catalogue number which I would consider to be ample clarity that what is offered is simply a multiple of the same item.

The proper Bachmann multipacks also go under one catalogue number, it would admittedly be fairly easy to misread. But then again, Hattons* have offered multiples of wagons like this for a long time, and Bachmann have never mentioned packs larger than three so it should be pretty clear which are the 'official' ones.

* BTW is there some problem that I dont know about with referring to them by name, i.e. without the silly asterisks or by phrases such as 'a certain Liverpool firm'?

* BTW is there some problem that I dont know about with referring to them by name, i.e. without the silly asterisks or by phrases such as 'a certain Liverpool firm'?

W*o M# ????

Cheers, Peter C. :scratchhead:

Yes, I freely admit that I made a mistake when ordering these wagons as I said in my posting, my post was intended to warn others who might make the same error which is easy to do.

In future I will also make sure I don't use silly asterisks or any other kind of asterisk when referring to Hattons or any other firm.

Edward

• RMweb Gold

Beware! I bought an 8 pack weathered 16T steel mineral wagons from H*****s assuming they would be assorted numbers and weathering....wrong! They are all identical. My fault, I should have read the ad. more carefully which does give the Bachmann catalog number of the wagon. Only the smaller multipacks have different wagons.

I contacted H who said they did the 8 megapack to enable customers to get the wagons a little cheaper but I really think they should have made it clear that only one variant is included, after all, who wants 8 wagons with identical rust patches?

Extra weathering and some transfers required I guess.

Edward

I would have thought it is pretty clear if you read the ads carefully - they do make clear on their 'specials' that the wagons have different numbers and just call the others 'multipacks' or whatever; maybe it helps if you read all the descriptions and them realise that there are differences between them?

Archived