The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cover versions that improved on the original.

Guest Max Stafford

• RMweb Premium

Vanilla Fudge "You just Keep Me Hanging On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QuHqjnfpLE&feature=related

Best, Pete.

Oh, some bonus Humble Pie too..........

I agree about Vanilla Fudge - when it came out in '67 it was HEAVY....... Can't say I was so keen on some of their other stuff - a friend once had "the Beat Goes On" which I found pretty excruciating.

Another band comes to mind - The Damned's killer version of Barry Ryan's "Eloise" and their note-perfect rendition of Love's "Alone Again Or".

"Silence is Golden" - For me The Tremeloes' version is far superior to the Four Seasons original.

Also, a lot of chat about Bob Dylan on here and deservedly so. Like a previous comment, I am a great fan of his songwriting but less so of his singing. One of the best interpretors of Dylan songa was Rick Nelson during his country-rock phase in the late 60's & early 70's with his Stone Canyon Band. He made an excellent job of songs like "She Belongs to Me" & "Just Like a Woman", but my favourite has to be "Love Minus Zero/No Limit", which is just such a beautiful version. Rick's voice and understated approach suit the mood and makes the most of the beautiful melody. The recording of the piano and subtle ethereal voices help to make this a real classic version.

All the best

exmoordave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

XTC did a VERY "out there" cover of "All along the Watchtower" on their debut album, "White Music", in 1978. Whether or not anyone would judge it an improvement on the original depend on your liking for experimental dub-punk.. :rolleyes: - me, I rather like it.

The Ataris did a cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" a few years back - just revved / punked it up a bit, and namechecked a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac instead of a Deadhead sticker. For that reason it gets my vote, however much I love the original.

And I'll add to Rod's vote for the This Mortal Coil version of "Song to the Siren". Liz Fraser's voice is one that haunts..

Guest Max Stafford

Heavier and a bit darker than The Stooges' original, which was still a decent garage record, this was the version I heard first and consequently my preferred take.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

There will only ever be one version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - the one by Carole King.

Doesn't this count as a cover version of a song she wrote for somebody else?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Another band comes to mind - The Damned's note-perfect rendition of Love's "Alone Again Or".

Much better than Collexico's awful travesty! (Jeremy Vine likes it - Nuff said)

[quote name=exmoordave'

timestamp='1311617516' post='449734]

"Silence is Golden" - For me The Tremeloes' version is far superior to the Four Seasons original.

exmoordave

To me it is excruciatingly bad! (I have both versions) However I like their version of Cat Stevens "Here comes my baby" It has an infectious summery feel to it. (again I have both versions)

The Searchers "Sweets for my sweet" is an OK job better than their covers of Jackie de Shannon songs but not as good as the Drifters. (Likewise both versions again)

An obscure one: I also have "Some other guy" by Ritchie Barrett which I think is better than all the Mersey group covers.

If you want to hear original versions look out some of the excellent Ace (UK) collections of US hits and an awful lot of tracks covered in the UK (usually badly) show up.

Keith

Rod Stewart's version of Sailing always stood head and shoulders above Gavin Sutherland's original for me.

The inlay notes with my CD of "The Very Best of SB & Q" attributes the song to Iain rather than Gavin, but I read somewhere that the song came about when Gavin (or Iain) was trying to play the Mingulay boat song and got the chords wrong. I suspect a lot of hit songs come about that way...

Does the Gompie version of 'Living Next Door to Alice' count as a cover of the original New World version? If so, I greatly prefer it. (Warning, if you're going looking for the Gompie version, - strong language!:O )

I know it's bit 'poppy' compared to other songs in this thread but I think this is a particularly good cover.

Mad World - Gary Jules

Got to utterly & totally disagree with you there... that cover made the Tears For Fears Original sound incredibly cheerful and upbeat..!!! :rolleyes: :laugh: In fact Janice Long was supposed to play the Gary Jules version on Radio 2 one night, and swapped it for the original - she couldn't stand the cover either!! ;)

My own vote for "Better than the Original" is Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy...

• Like 1

", but my favourite has to be "Love Minus Zero/No Limit", which is just such a beautiful version. Rick's voice and understated approach suit the mood and makes the most of the beautiful melody. The recording of the piano and subtle ethereal voices help to make this a real classic version.

All the best

exmoordave

I agree with you best version of "Love minus Zero- No Limit" - believe me I tried too it was a freaking disaster - my ex-wife stole my first run copy of "The Stone Canyon Band" I need a replacement! Also featured future Eagle, Randy Meisner on Bass/Vocals.

Best, Pete.