Penhallick Junction

treggyman

No worries Bill anytime.

Interested to see those 158's though.

See you in a fortnight, really looking forward to it.

Jack.

HiJack

The 158 project is very much on the backburner at the moment....

When Creedyford is more complete I hope to continue with it.....

So very much watch this space.....

Cheers Bill

Jack 00, I have done a FGW 158 in N gauge using Electra Railway Graphics vinyl sides, worked really well and very easy!! Just completed the Ginsters one as well.

Ths project is looking great, good luck with the exhibition Bill, I know what it is like, I am exhibiting in Bideford on the 26th and have a few issues to sort before then, also my new layout has its first exhibition in July, thought I had months, now only weeks - aaaargh!!!!

Simon

• Like 1

Jack 00, I have done a FGW 158 in N gauge using Electra Railway Graphics vinyl sides, worked really well and very easy!! Just completed the Ginsters one as well.

Ths project is looking great, good luck with the exhibition Bill, I know what it is like, I am exhibiting in Bideford on the 26th and have a few issues to sort before then, also my new layout has its first exhibition in July, thought I had months, now only weeks - aaaargh!!!!

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for the comment.

Hopefully all will go well ....Fingers crossed.

Good luck at Bideford....I'm sure all will go well.I'm in the same boat with Creedyford!!!!

Having spent the last two evenings taking 66's apart,cutting wires to change bogies & soldering them back together I have now one smooth running EWS 66.

One of the bogies has a tight spot....don't know why yet...but changing the bogies in turn  with a proven good running bogie has highlighted what the problem was. I now have at 1 well running EWS 66

Cheers Bill

Glad your getting them sorted Bill.

I notice my 66 doesn't like cambers will throw its toys out the pram and its self for that matter.

Good stuff though Bill, keeps us occupied.

Jack.

• Like 1

Hi All

Due to the fine weather I've not had much time to do a lot!!!! (except cut grass etc)

However I did manage to finish my EWS '37.

Mevaman of this parish very kindly loaned me some photo's of 37's at StBlazey that he took in the 90's.

Originally I was going to number it 37669....I had already removed  the 41 from 37419.

However 669 had snowploughs.....& then I discovered that the Fox transfers I had were not quite the same size as the Bachmann printed ones.....

So, a flick through Mevamans pictures revealed 37668 taken at Par on 20/2/98 & no snowploughs......

Renumbered,detail pack fitted & weathered she has now joined the fleet & is pictured posing on the headshunt.....

post-7844-0-92030700-1368993142_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44258700-1368993159_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-89886000-1368993178_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the 66 saga is now resolved....

I took the worm & drive shaft between the motor & gear tower out,so that the bogie is free running,rewired the contacts up...It now picks up current on 5 of the six pairs of wheels but only drives one bogie.....

I haven't tried it with a train yet but seems to run fine.....most of my stock is free running & it won't be pulling long trains so hopefully all will be well.....Seen posing just before the headshunt....

post-7844-0-35730000-1368993638_thumb.jpg

Well this time next week Hayle show will be over, then it's off to Barnstaple in July....Looking forward to that...

If you're at Hayle next weekend say Hello..

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Glad your getting them sorted Bill.

I notice my 66 doesn't like cambers will throw its toys out the pram and its self for that matter.

Good stuff though Bill, keeps us occupied.

Jack.

Hi Jack

I had read your post when you posted it but while fiddling today I noticed that while both my EWS 66's were numbered 66135 the bogies were slightly different.

One only had pickups to two pairs of wheels of each bogie whereas the other had pickups on all three pairs of wheels on each bogie.....Also when I put one of the bogies back on the chassis it wouldn't rotate & it kept derailing!!...The wheels kept catching on the underframe.

One of the loco's had had brass washers as a spacer on the bogie mount...I put one on the bogie on the underside of the chassis & hey presto...all worked....Possibly why your 66 throws it's toys out of the pram sometimes????

Cheers Bill

Cheers Bill

Hi  All

Had a few moments this evening....

So sorted out the signals...Both work at the moment...on one the linkage had broken at the solder joint...

So after much fiddling & adjustment resoldered it in the correct place to make the arm work....

The other one is just very stiff in its action...I shall probably have to grease the point motor base to make it move even more freely....

37668 had a good run out......Touching wood & tempting fate she ran beautifully....except the coupling hook kept jamming in the up position behind the cowl on the buffer beam....A brief tweak with the aid of the soldering iron hopefully has sorted that out.....Will test it tomorrow....

Tomorrow pack it all up... Then Friday ...Off we go for a fun weekend in Hayle

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

Great to see you today at the Hayle show and giving the DMU and 50 149 a thrash! I will remember to bring your plug next time haha
Here's some shots of the layout

293032_512359058812968_565517248_n.jpg
Good to see my latest creation in action on the layout and Bill is away from the controls linesiding!

581833_512359165479624_1478403080_n.jpg

37 405 with a rake of wagons

252300_512359412146266_1563851038_n.jpg
Bill - That DMU looks good
Reece - Thanks it's my weathering 

261634_512359935479547_1702269489_n.jpg

945578_512360015479539_2112125934_n.jpg
Tom enjoying his lunch

946945_512360165479524_1091195823_n.jpg
Bill's grubby Gronk

983736_512360212146186_797957257_n.jpg
37 405 again this time on a china clay train about to depart Penhallick JCT

292465_512360188812855_962857147_n.jpg
Bill back at the controls!

Really good show!
Cheers, Reece

• Like 8

Hi All

Well....A great day at Hayle show today.... Very enjoyable.

Took the layout down to Hayle yesterday evening....SWMBO helped loading & unloading......Very grateful for the help.

All set up....Trial running session....

OH SUGAR....the mainline point at  the works end doesn't work!!!!!! & no power in the track that runs through the slurry/washing  out siding....Nothing obviously wrong. At the end of setting up there was power to the siding....though seemed not quite right as though there was a partial short ...... if such a thing exists !!!!!couldn't find a fault & hadn't changed anything, so don't panic as the layout would be fully functional without, no problem.

Got to the venue this morning.....My  son suggested moving the tortoise point motor back & forth by hand a time or two to see if it had jammed......As if by magic...One fully operational point.

The siding had slept on it overnight & worked faultlessly all day!!!!

The only worry is that when a fault rectifies itself it can reappear again.....We shall cross that bridge.....!!!!!!

RSLR of this parish has pictures of his 117 DMU on hi West Fraddon thread.....Here it is ding sterling service.....He's done a really good job on it...the gentle weathering,flush glazing,corridor connections ,passengers& buffer beam detail really make it look the part....Not jealous honest...

post-7844-0-12491500-1369511585_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-49532800-1369511618_thumb.jpg

His Lima '50 Defiance also ventured on to the scene....

post-7844-0-88749600-1369512158_thumb.jpg

Recently added to the roster 37668 worked faultlessly all day....

post-7844-0-14782600-1369512259_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-31666600-1369512276_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44789500-1369512292_thumb.jpg

Finally a blast to the past...37662 made an appearance.....I had forgotten that I had fitted my autocouplings to her & although I had put her in the stock box it was more as a light loco move than a working member of the roster that I had thought she would perform.....but she also worked faultlessly through the day

post-7844-0-72281600-1369512677_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-17778800-1369512700_thumb.jpg

& finally a picture of my assistant who made the day most enjoyable..... As you can see he's hating every minute!!!!!

post-7844-0-33038000-1369512849_thumb.jpg

A really enjoyable day & great to see fellow RMWebbers again,Stubby47,RSLR & Nigel whose avatar name I can't remember....(Spurs emblem rings a bell).....amongst others

Look forward to tomorrow

Cheers Bill

• Like 10

Hi Reece

As said above great to see you again & thanks for the pics you posted....

Nice to see you smiling & happy with your hobby!!!!

When I see you next I may want to borrow some of your Blue stock for Creedyford....So bring plenty.....

If not before see you in August

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Once again a very enjoyable day playing trains. Thanks for letting me tag along, looking forward to tomorrow, when we might have some voyager action...

post-9949-0-29254300-1369520708_thumb.jpg

37672 awaits the signaller to get of the blinking phone, and change the points!

• Like 8

Just looked through your thread from the beginning.

Especially liked the scratch built Slurry loading point, and the VW weathering. Also some nice reference matter.

There's quite a bit of 'how to' of interest here too, need to go see your other layouts.

• Like 1

Bill. Was great to finally put a face to the name. And the layout is super cant believe how everything flows so well.

Thanks for letting me have a test drive too although rather rusty with point and isolation control.

Look forward to August and creedyford...

All the best.

Jack.

• Like 2

Hi All

Thanks to all above comments....Greatly appreciated....

B7954673...

Thanks for your help yesterday & for yours & your sons help today...A very enjoyable time was had I think....

Mickey.....

I have done my best to give the impression of the Goonbarrow area so thanks for your comment....The photographic backscene of the area certainly helps I think....

Jaz......

Thanks for the comment...Although I have done this thread for others to read ,it's also been useful to me to record my progress.It is also a useful reference for me.

I have found it most useful when reading other peoples threads where how things have been achieved is explained....The phrase 'there's more ways than one to skin a cat' springs to mind!!!!

Given a challenge.we all tend to approach it differently to find a solution,or where none seems possible someone else's experiences can sometimes suggest a solution.

Thanks again all

Cheers Bill

Bill. Was great to finally put a face to the name. And the layout is super cant believe how everything flows so well.

Thanks for letting me have a test drive too although rather rusty with point and isolation control.

Look forward to August and creedyford...

All the best.

Jack.

Hi Jack

It was really good to meet up with you at last.

Am looking forward to seeing your layout in August.

Glad you enjoyed your play....

As regards being rusty.....Its not easy to run a layout that you've just seen & haven't used before....You were fine....

Look forward to following your progress & see you soon

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well the show is over.....

Had a great day....Hotter today than yesterday!!!

Unfortunately forgot my camera.....TISH......So no new pics from me....

Ah well ,hopefully my son took a picture or two!!!!!

All ran well....One or two issues with the coupling hooks on the auto couplers but nothing serious......

The solder joint on one signal came apart again & the point base the other one is on was too stiff to let it move.....Again not a major issue....Just left both in the off position while the sprinters ran to & fro driven by the shuttle unit....

Any way as usual a very enjoyable show....

Many thanks to the Hayle club for putting on such a friendly & welcoming show

Cheers  Bill

• Like 1

Good to read that you had a great weekend Bill.

Looking forward to seeing the layout in Barnstaple at the end of July!

Hi Richard

Thanks for the above....

Yes it was a good weekend & I am looking forward to your show in Barnstaple in July

Cheers Bill