Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hey

Its good to catch up on this thead. The layout is coming along brilliantly. Love the buildings as they come together. There is something very satisfying about scratch built scenes.

Thanks for all the photos!

Regards

Lee :)

Well Bill, you have been busy! Looking great though! Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Hi Bill - the buildings are coming along well, how do you hope to achieve the corugated absestos weathered look? Its like a mottled finish. Maybe dry brushing will get the result you need?

Hey

Its good to catch up on this thead. The layout is coming along brilliantly. Love the buildings as they come together. There is something very satisfying about scratch built scenes.

Thanks for all the photos!

Regards

Lee :)

the quality of your buildings in the latest picture updates really is impressive. Cant wait to see them once they have been painted. I think they will really give the right feeling for the area you are trying to capture

Hi mudmagnet ,winterbournecm ,Lee m22 &'definate maybe',

Thanks for your above comments,all much appreciated.

Hi winterbournecm

As regards the painting of the corrugated asbestos sheets I shall probably employ a mix of dry brushing & weathering powders.

on my last layout I used weathering powders to weather my bulk powder store & palleted product building,see below

post-7844-0-07017100-1316023950_thumb.jpg

Although it was O K, I was never quite happy with the overall effect.A bit to streaky rather than streaky & blotchy if you see what I mean.Also because I hadn't tried the technique before (weathering powders) I was concerned what the effect on the colour would be if I sealed with varnish.Also if it was raining when I was loading/unloading I might get some real rain streaks!!!!

So I shall try a combination this time...

I also find I have to be in the mood for weathering as it can be very time consuming getting it right to one's eye

As always,any suggestions would be most welcome.I enjoy trying to learn new techniques

Cheers Bill

post-7844-0-10731700-1316023743_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44562100-1316023841_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The asbestos look is a difficult one to achieve Bill. I suggest a grotty brown base and then add light grey(s) dry brushed on in a dabbed fashion? It may be worth trying to flick dry white powder paint, weathering powders - or talc onto the building to give the mottled effect whilst the brown is still wet. The finishing touch could be some orange to copy the algea that grows on the roofs down West.

Shall I have a play around with some and upload the piccies?

Craig

• RMweb Gold

plenty of talc is a good way to get that dusty asbestos look......

...and also means the layout can enter the 'best smelling layout competition at the next exhibition'...offsets some of those whiffy punters too... :laugh:

Thos new industrial buildings are looking the business Bill...am gonna shadow how you go about painting them...

The asbestos look is a difficult one to achieve Bill. I suggest a grotty brown base and then add light grey(s) dry brushed on in a dabbed fashion? It may be worth trying to flick dry white powder paint, weathering powders - or talc onto the building to give the mottled effect whilst the brown is still wet. The finishing touch could be some orange to copy the algea that grows on the roofs down West.

Shall I have a play around with some and upload the piccies?

Craig

Hi Craig

Yes please.Your suggestion of method & colour certainly sound good.

Although asbestos when left to its own devices weathers down to a sort of creamy grey colour,most buildings in Clay Country,although having a whitish tinge, seem also to have a lot of black/brown on them,so your suggestion of a grotty brown base certainly makes sense.

As to the algae,I tried to replicate this on a farm house model I built,but it looked awfully bright & unreal even though the colour I used matched the real thing,so I got rid of it !!!...The algae not the building I hasten to add.

Cheers Bill

plenty of talc is a good way to get that dusty asbestos look......

...and also means the layout can enter the 'best smelling layout competition at the next exhibition'...offsets some of those whiffy punters too... :laugh:

Thos new industrial buildings are looking the business Bill...am gonna shadow how you go about painting them...

HiMickey & bcnPete,

I've never actually used talc for weathering purposes.

My first thought was along the lines of bcnPetes reply;but he got there first.

Seriously though,is the talc applied as weathering powder,or applied when the paint is wet/damp to give a texture as well as a colour effect?

By the way Mickey,your roofs look great,what sheet material are you using?

That is a Dapol "Service Station" kit I did some years ago.....Its just Humbrol concrete paint with a wash over of some sarker colours and the talc worked into it while still wet.....

Hi Mickey

Thanks for the reply.The profile of the sheet looks much deeper than any of the Slaters type sheet I have come across is why I asked.

In the good old days!!??!! there were other asbestos sheets made as well as Big six & Standard 3 for use on mainly factory buildings with low pitched roofs.They were called Deep profile sheets ;Monad,Double Six M to name a couple.These were used before steel /aluminium corrugated sheets took over the roofing industry ,& I have been on a lookout, unsuccessfully for a suitable representation.

I shall certainly experiment with your colouring technique,

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Had a bit of a play with painting the Linhay over the last few days.

Started with a lightish base on the walls & roof but left the doors & concrete blockwork in their grey primer.Dry brushed colour on to the walls/roof etc but mainly white on doors & blockwork.The brush I used was a long bristled flat brush which tended to give fine streaks of colour,almost lines in places rather than streaks.

I am using acrylic paints for this for the first time,I have always used enamels before,so I'm learning as I go.

As I said,I got lines rather than streaks & blotches so I then used cotton buds & well thinned paint to try & 'blotch' the effect.

It still was too dark so I attacked it with a glass fibre pen which evened out the tones.

The pics look a lot darker than the actual end result ,but I shall keep playing 'till I'm happier.....

A few pics of the linhay......

post-7844-0-87777600-1316896598_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-43426400-1316896770_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-90272600-1316897818_thumb.jpg

I then made a start on the bulk clay & bagged clay buildings...

post-7844-0-85447900-1316897089_thumb.jpg

Today it was raining/drizzling so I finished off the bulk & bagged clay buildings to primer paint finish rather than the domestic jobs I had planned...Life can be such a bitch.....

post-7844-0-07331100-1316897459_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-32643900-1316897572_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-21846000-1316897698_thumb.jpg

Hopefully will get a bit more done tomorrow but we have visitors & the sun might shine,so we'll see

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi

Had a bit of time today,so had another play at toning down the Linhay.....

post-7844-0-91112400-1316981259_thumb.jpg

I then had a go at weathering the bulk & bagged clay buildings.

For this I used dabs of white & black with a touch of brown here & there & painted alight grey for the corrugated sheeting,but a darker grey for the walls;here i added a touch of red as well as down here you quite often get patches of red in mature render...I don't know if it is an algae or a chemical reaction to the sand cement mix.....

post-7844-0-47694400-1316981735_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-32372700-1316981851_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-29149100-1316981968_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-53831400-1316982081_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-97153500-1316982195_thumb.jpg

I had intended to do the concrete hard standing in front of the Linhay but it crossed my mind that it would make sense to set the linhay in this 'concrete' so instead I installed lights in the linhay.

I've never had working lights in buildings on a layout before,but I thought I'd have a go on this layout.

Won't be any use in an exhibition hall but nice at home.....

post-7844-0-21099600-1316982695_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-03583000-1316982791_thumb.jpg

I used four 3mm kingbright LED's,one under each canopy & one each on the ceiling in the middle of each doorway.

I had initially used yellow LED's but they were nowhere near bright enough to represent modern lighting.

Anyway I am quite pleased with the effect.

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 4

Hi

Spent a bit of time today having a play with the backscene,a long way to go but I wanted to see if it would give the desired effect.

The photos are pics of Hensbarrow downs & the St Dennis area printed on ordinary photocopying paper to get. a faded look,so that they don't grab the eyes attention to much but to give a bit of depth,cut up & made into a sort of collage.

The white blobs are wet glue...not snowdrops or similar....

post-7844-0-59205000-1317587762_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-91295700-1317587867_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-57862000-1317587970_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-12829800-1317588072_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-01563200-1317588180_thumb.jpg

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

Hi Ramblin Rich,

Thanks for the comment.

You're quite right ,I do need to disguise the join between the half relief & the backscene.It's a very obvious joint,more so in the pictures than on the layout.

A tree is certainly a good idea,but I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?????

When I first fixed the back scene at this end I only had it going half way up the height of the building,but I didn't think it looked right so I increased the height of the backscene & thus made the disguise of the joint harder.... maybe I'll lower the backscene here again...

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Didn't get too much done today scenically ,but fitted the gaugemaster SS1 shuttle unit.

The idea of this is there can always be something moving at least every 30 seconds or so.

It's been wired so that I can either have the shuttle on or either controller can run the 'main' line.

One controller can run the main line while the other can run the whole layout if required ,or just the branch & yard

I must admit I had planned to do a lot more today,but have had an enjoyable day running some of my collection of sprinters back & forth with the shuttle unit whilst indulging in a bit of shunting in the yard...... I had to be sure it worked....

I had made some trees to fill out in front of the backscene.I put them in a banana box to dry.

Disaster....The cat likes to sleep in boxes....I now have about 20 very flat trees!!!!!

Ah well

Cheers Bill

Flat trees would go very well against the backscene :)

Talking of which, the views of Hensbarrow look really good; maybe something such a Portakabin office palced next to the low relief Driers may distract the eye from the join with said backscene?

Flat trees would go very well against the backscene :)

Talking of which, the views of Hensbarrow look really good; maybe something such a Portakabin office palced next to the low relief Driers may distract the eye from the join with said backscene?

Hi Mickey

Thanks for that.

I had thought about a derelict tank (storage not armoured) or silo but your suggestion of a portacabin or similar is certainly a good one well worth thinking about.

I will have to rethink that part of the scene though as it was going to be a sort of dump/junk/derelict area,but that could easily be moved elsewhere.

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

I used 'flattened' trees behind the depot on Orchard Road. With a little gentle coaxing, some of the branches can be bent back out - a light spray with water will soften a little as well.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion.Some I had planned to use as they are against the backscene but I'll try your suggestion as it seems a shame to waste them

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Long time since I posted an update so here we go.

You can't see it as such,but I have installed a Gaugemaster shuttle unit which works well.

I can now operate the whole layout with one controller;

Or I can operate the main line & yard separately with two controllers;

Or I can operate the yard & branch with one controller with a sprinter or similar unit shuttling to & fro.

I've also fitted the scenic disguise between the Linhay & backscene.

I finally went for a scratchbuilt bulk bin,which is now fixed in place,a few pics below:

post-7844-0-43654200-1319480023_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-62377100-1319480120_thumb.jpg

The barrel of the bin is an plastic overflow coupling,the base cone is some very thin plasticard rolled in to a cone shape,the top is layers of plasticard filed to shape,the ladder is an etched brass one with the safety rails & rings scratchbuilt from brass wire,support legs & bracing from plastic strip & finally painted as shown below;

post-7844-0-34315900-1319480235_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-38652400-1319480329_thumb.jpg

I've also straightened out & made lots of trees for the backscene & planted them

post-7844-0-51541600-1319481003_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-86587500-1319481114_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for now,hope I'll have a bit more time for modelling soon

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Looking good there mate giving me a few ideas for my layout

don't suppose you could put some more picture of the cda up i'm doing my at the mow

Hi Richard

If you mean the model ones I'll get the camera out tomorrow & post up a few pictures.

I only ask as I've been following & contributing to your thread elsewhere

Cheers Bill

Hi Richard

If you mean the model ones I'll get the camera out tomorrow & post up a few pictures.

I only ask as I've been following & contributing to your thread elsewhere

Cheers Bill

Hi bill yeah the model one just interested how you did the drain holes on the side and weathering

that be great if you can put some pictures on

Hi bill yeah the model one just interested how you did the drain holes on the side and weathering

that be great if you can put some pictures on

Hi Richard

Just a few pictures.

The drain holes were just painted on with a blob of rust coloured paint,then I ran my finger downward to give the effect of a streak.

The weathering is mainly dry brushing.The trouble is that I find the effect can look good from a distance but looks too coarse close up.It's more the way I do it I think rather than the method.I did these wagons quite a while ago & I now use a combination of air brush /dry brushing/weathering powders.

post-7844-0-56847200-1319574607_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-91865400-1319574700_thumb.jpg

A square buffered version

post-7844-0-37545000-1319574789_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-40911400-1319574879_thumb.jpg

The other side

post-7844-0-34997500-1319575068_thumb.jpg

And finally,the original ECC version

post-7844-0-65273800-1319575182_thumb.jpg

Hope these are of use

Cheers Bill

• Like 2