RMweb

Penhallick Junction

treggyman

ps how did that picture I took come out i am missing not having a camera at the moment

Hi B954673

Attached is the picture you took;

post-7844-0-74912900-1325620780_thumb.jpg

The effect of taking the picture into the sun has made it look like it was a misty day......

Typically Cornish

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

as someone thinking of douing a small "clay" layout myself, finding this thread has been superb.

top class layout and very inspiring. Will keep an eye on progress, then copy it all!

thanks for the help.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the comment,

I shall look forward to seeing your layout as & when it progresses.

Any help I can give please ask.

Cheers Bill.

jia are looking very good there.

look like the real wagon in that last picture

Hi richard37670

Thanks for the comment.

As stated B954673 took the picture ( with my camera) & the angle he's taken it from makes the shot.

How are your CDA's coming on?

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

The Tenshodo bogies benefit from some weight to improve their running. I have used several with 7mm narrow gauge white metal bodies and run better. However, they can sometimes behave like scalded cats! They do also improve after running-in.

Hi Bill,

The Tenshodo bogies benefit from some weight to improve their running. I have used several with 7mm narrow gauge white metal bodies and run better. However, they can sometimes behave like scalded cats! They do also improve after running-in.

Hi Richard

Thanks for that,

I shall persevere & hope to get it running well as I don't want to have to buy another motor

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well I was going to make a start on my sentinel shunter,but,I had a play the other night & realised that with nowhere to to store cassettes I was limited to the trains I was able to run;(not that I'm worried about building a brass kit or putting it off !!!!!!)

So today was taken up by making storage trays to hold the cassettes that hold the trains in the fiddle yard

Basically they are a base of 6mm ply with a surround of planed timber that I had to hand glued & screwed together.

On The main one I have used some aluminium angle recycled from previous cassettes to form a hook to support the tray.

Any way some pics which I hope are self explanatory.As usual ,please ask if you have any questions.

post-7844-0-66647500-1325974473_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-93509100-1325974572_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-38204300-1325974680_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-87477100-1325975032_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-23589900-1325975165_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-84676900-1325975270_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-04808200-1325975371_thumb.jpg

I use a system of 'flying leads' (banana type plugs/sockets) to connect the power to the cassettes which also acts as a built in isolating switch.

Anyway , that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi All

Spent virtually all day on my Sentinel shunter;

Had forgotten how different & difficult ( for me anyway) making brass kits as opposed to,for instance D J H Kits.

Consequently,not got as far as I had hoped,but at least it didn't learn to fly!!!

But I have relearnt some soldering skills & confirmed that soldering irons get awful hot!!!!

Any way a couple of pics of my lack of progress:

post-7844-0-18179600-1326049891_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-45044200-1326049981_thumb.jpg

I ran the tenshodo bogie in again as suggested by mudmagnet & it runs reasonably now,especially on ordinary track (not points etc).

It may be a case that I have to run it with a permanently fixed shunter's runner to add more current collection,we shall see.

The other thing I got done was to fix the backscene join between the signal box & the clay works so there is no longer a gaping tapering hole;a loose pin hinge superglued to the rear of the backscene did the trick!

post-7844-0-39851500-1326050460_thumb.jpg

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress there Bill and glad to read that you are getting the Spud to run a bit better now. Should improve further when you get the body finished and additional weight added. I really must get on with my etch brass loco (a Judith Edge class 06) ....

Nice progress there Bill and glad to read that you are getting the Spud to run a bit better now. Should improve further when you get the body finished and additional weight added. I really must get on with my etch brass loco (a Judith Edge class 06) ....

Hi Richard,

My Judith Edge Sentinel kit certainly seems a nice kit,well etched with lots of detail.

I'm looking forward to completing it ,but it's a job I shall do when I'm in the mood.

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill, do you have any means of aligning the casstettes - I can't see any mechanical connection on the last picture from 7th Jan?

Hi Ramblin Rich,

The short answer is yes.

Hopefully the following description & pictures will clarify my method.

Basically I glue & screw plastic blocks to the base of the cassette base board,which happens to be made of a plastic 'Cappit' roofing section,( I work for a supplier of these materials;plywood base & wood blocks would do the job equally as well).

The blocks are set so that the cassettes are a tight fit so the cannot 'wobble' sideways so the tracks remain aligned.

NOTE ; There is no physical connection between the track on the main baseboard & the cassette (ie no fishplates or similar)

Wires are soldered to the track which have plugs on the end.

These plugs connect to sockets in the tray base.

This provides electrical supply,but also doubles up as an isolating switch if required.

post-7844-0-39933900-1326139995_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-26691500-1326140077_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37535100-1326140164_thumb.jpg

If you look again at my previous post hopefully you can see how it works in practice.

Hope this answers your query,if not please ask.

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Also there shouldn't be two doors to the locking room; the problem of following a plan of another 'box to get scale dimensions & looking at pictures of a real 'box (Goonbarrow Junction) but building it as a mirror image.

I wouldnt worry about that. The box at Bishops Lydeard (which appears to be identical to Goonbarrow) also has a door each end - one is for the locking room the other (i think) is for the battery room.

I wouldnt worry about that. The box at Bishops Lydeard (which appears to be identical to Goonbarrow) also has a door each end - one is for the locking room the other (i think) is for the battery room.

Hi ikcdab,

Thanks for that;

as it's not a specific model of Goonbarrow Box, then it's nice to know there is a similar 'box around to justify it,

Cheers Bill

Nice layout! I like the way you can see St Dennis in the background :)

Hi RSLR,

Thanks for the comment.

It's the first time I've used a pictorial backscene so I thought using pictures of the actual area would set the scene.

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Bill, thanks for the additional pictures of the casette alignment system, makes perfect sense now. I was looking for something actually at the ends but the side pieces must work just as well. :)

Hi Rich,

So long as you are careful to align the tracks using copperclad sleepers to ensure gauge is kept true & there can be no lateral or vertical movement then it's not much different to joining baseboards on a portable ( exhibition ) layout.

The key is to try to make the join straight rather than curved,& that everything is level & in line,

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi Bill

Just catching up after Christmas/New Year.

The JIAs look fantastic - we'll have to employ you to provide a weathering service!

You will also have to tell me how to produce the photo backscene. I am waiting for better weather before photographing Par Docks.

Just to let you know that Deviock Dock is awaiting space at Redruth Club (we are refurbishing the Clubroom) before progress is made. I have bought a Prodigy Express, however, and plan to have 37207 running with sound (using the chassis pinched from 37049)!

All the best

Andrew