From a carriage window

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

No offence taken !

Doing 'The Gentlemen's Restroom' has been an enjoyable interlude. I've again stretched my skill base, modelling in another scale and experimenting with 'weathering' techniques.

But you're right, this needs to be completed, and more work was done last night. The terraced houses now all have glass in the windows and two have got doors being completed - the other two doors will be done later today.

I'll need to add lintels and sills to all the windows and doors, then some sort of roof, maybe with a skylight or two, but definitely with some chimney stacks.

The road will need further treating and I have to think about how to represent the pavements.

Then there is guttering and downpipes, possibly overhead phonewires and wall mounted electricity supplies, the front bridge parapet and fencing to add and a new main window mask to cut & paint.

How long have we got left ?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete. It's going to be a bit awkward as the middle stack (of the 'five', although I can only make the far 3) will be only a ½ width as it's at the edge of the board - I'll just have to be crafty with the camera angle.

Hopefully get the roof on tonight (one of which I might make a newer set of slates), then add the chimneys & pots.

Apparently the deadline gets closer every day...

• RMweb Gold

And with the pavements painted, it's starting to look the part.

In the background a rake of pre-hooded china clay wagons trundles over the bridge...

post-7025-0-21792700-1316764584_thumb.jpg

I have to ask , though, if I'd made it all on 7mm scale, would it look any better / worse / different ?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gents - it was a bit of a 'why am I doing this?' moment, as the latest picture looks normal (which was the intention, but it should also give the impression of a long distance and I'm not sure it does that too).

Yes, that dormer open window does screw up the perspective view - it seems to be the wrong shape for a 'closed' window and it's not obvious enough that it's an open window.

This view shows the open window better (but also shows the roughness of the model in close up...)

post-7025-0-08559200-1316777176.jpg

A question - In the last image posted (24 Sep 2011), the oddly tapered roof of the nearest terraced house really stands out - and to my thinking not in a good way. Is there a reason for this?

And a super minor nitpick and unsolicited advice - on the second floor of Awkright's shop*, the crossbar in the nearest window looks wrong - since you have forced perspective, it looks like it's slanted upwards - maybe give it a slight slant downward (near to far) to correct this?

*BTW, why can't they play reruns of "Open All Hours" on our local NY PBS station, as opposed to endless reruns of "Keep Up Apperances" - i know they used to...

Stu

I wouldn't worry too much about that dormer. Have a look in Google Streetview of the pink house located in the High Street at the junction with Market Lane,Lavenham, Suffolk.

The house is located on the LHS of the junction. And then ask yourself, if viewed from a carriage window, what would that look like?

I reckon that you have got it pretty much right.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Sir Ray,

The odd shape roof is because that is the edge of the 11" width of the board - I can't do much about it.

I accept your point about the window bar, now you mention it, but I can possibly disguise that with a shop sign.

David,

Thanks for your comments !

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good. That perspective thingy can drive you nuts. It reminds me of the cottage we had that was held together with bolts because it leant over to one corner. None of the walss were square or vertical. I made a couple of corner selves put them up took them down again back to the workbench to rebuild them unsquare and it worked. Its not the actual shape that matters but how the eye interprets it. If you imagine opening the window the hinge side will appear the same size throughout whilst the handle side will start smaller and seem to grow as it opens towards you. yet the eye knows all this and interprets it as a square window. There must be a point in the opening arc where that window is just right. As I said that perspective thingy can drive you nuts.

In view of the time available give yourself a gold star.

Don

Archived