RMweb

Coverage of F1 to be split with Sky from next year...

gordon s

I can understand how F1 Fans feel - it's just what cricket and football fans have had to go through but at least with F1 you've all been lucky it's lasted on terristrial (sp?) TV so so long.

In sport it all comes down to money with TV - I could never understand why after the 2005 Ashes the ECB/MCC allowed themselves to sell out to Sky when Channel 4's coverage was truly excellent. COmbined with the buzz around the game at the time - our club got a whole load of new junior players who loved watching it and wanted to play themselves. For the grass routes game the coverage had many positive effects which were lost as soon as it moved to Sky. I'm a passionate cricket fan but I won't pay the extra for Sky sports when I'm often out when the matches are on!

Is there a coicidence that BBC relinquishes part of its F1 coverage in the same year it will be giving us wall to wall Olympics?

I love my sport, but I don't want to subscribe to Sky. It's not just the subscription costs - I am opposed to the way that Sky and the Murdochs have been handed our national sporting treasures, that they've been able to buy out of the tax concessions awarded by successive Governments for their endorsements in their grubby little "news"papers. As Sky buys more top sporting events, then it channels its extra money to buy out the rest.

Still there's always tennis, snooker, horse racing and the "Alan Weekes" sports (minority sports barely more interesting that tiddly-winks - you know, the ones that no one wanted to buy Olympic tickets for).- the BBC will be working overtime to make them interesting.

• RMweb Premium

There was a lovely little subtle aside from Martin Brundle on the qualifying show earlier, whilst discussing which drivers have signed new contracts for next year and which will be moving on, he casually remarks 'So who will we be standing alongside in the dole queue with this time next year?'

Furious about this, but nothing I can do (other than buy Sky, but have to wait for Hell to freeze over first...).

Another one to add to the list of TV programmes that I enjoyed that have being taken away. Used to quite like Lost - patiently followed it for ages and it was just starting to get to some answers, then boom! Off to Sky. Never mind, at least I could then enjoy House on my Thursday nights instead... Boom! that's gone too.

Still, at least it's not being taken away completely, but I don't feel confident.

Perhaps when Rupert's back for more questioning, all UK F1 fans could custard pie him! :P

Only if you wanted to see the race in colour. I remember watching Grands Prix on the BBC in the 60's. It may not have been complete but neither was the cinema version. I seem to remember Raymond Baxter doing the commentary but I may be wrong.

The BBC also used to show a full programme of "Motorcycle Scrambling" almost every week in the Summer back then too.

Best, Pete.

Only if you wanted to see the race in colour. I remember watching Grands Prix on the BBC in the 60's. It may not have been complete but neither was the cinema version. I seem to remember Raymond Baxter doing the commentary but I may be wrong.

The BBC also used to show a full programme of "Motorcycle Scrambling" almost every week in the Summer back then too.

Best, Pete.

It was Raymond Baxter. But back then the only races live were monaco and the British GP. And you would often get the start plus a few laps then go off to another sport for a while and return maybe a couple of times before the finish. But back then races were longer, cars slower and the drivers really earned their money. Still reckon that 1970 Monaco was the best ever race I saw. Jochen Rindt putting in fastest lap time and time again, faster than his qualifying time, in the end 0.8 sec quicker than Jackie Stewart's pole and overtaking Jack Brabham on the last corner of the race.

Race report here

• RMweb Gold

And we used to get John Bolster with his radio mic in the pits. He had free rein to walk up and down, in an era when cars did not have mandatory pitstops. "And Graham Hill has come into the pits - what seems to be the trouble, Graham?" "It won't go!"

Guest Belgian

It's just another brick in the wall. Is it not the case that the more variety there is, the lower the overall standard and our real choice becomes? Our illustrious governments of the (relatively) recent past have "believed" in the power of the market to work to improve the choice for the viewer, but the actual result has been that the chosen few get far richer, and the public service ethic gets buried under a lot of cheap and poor quality material which gets churned out to fill the massive schedules.

Before it all happened here there were those who looked across the Atlantic to the land of the free where a free market had produced some of the most dire television of all time and tried to warn the "modernisers" here that our television would go the same way. And it has.

The BBC, restricted in its income to the government-decreed license fee, and ITV, having to share the advertising income with the new upstarts, no longer have the wherewithal to fund decent dramas and news coverage, and the budgets of all programme makers, whether in the public or private sector, have been stripped down so that lowest common denominator is the general level achieved. There may be a massive choice of programmes to watch, but how many of us now say "There's nothing on TV tonight"? Currently, the only TV I watch as a rule is F1, next year I will have nothing, but I will still be required to pay the license fee. The "Dirty Digger" has taken all that was good in the country away from us. Is this his revenge for what an earlier version of our Government did by sending our ne'er-do-wells to the bottom of the globe?

JE

Before it all happened here there were those who looked across the Atlantic to the land of the free where a free market had produced some of the most dire television of all time and tried to warn the "modernisers" here that our television would go the same way. And it has.

JE

Really? The Speed Channel provide super coverage of Formula 1 (including complete practice sessions) with David Hobbs and Steve Matchett et al. They also provide almost complete coverage of races such as The 24 Hours of Le Mans, which the BBC have never done even when Jaguar made their big come back in the '80's.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/

Best, Pete.

Currently, the only TV I watch as a rule is F1, next year I will have nothing, but I will still be required to pay the license fee.

Why not get rid of your telly then? No need to pay then!

that 2005 ashes was the first cricket Id ever sat and watched properly, I was off work with my leg in plaster and watched every bit of it and got really into it, never liked cricket before, then it got took away.

Exactly!

And while you probably wouldn't have taken up the sport you may still have watched on telly and perhaps gone to watch it live occasionally and taken your friends. The result would, in a small way, a bit of money coming in which wouldn't have had otherwise.

Guest Belgian

Why not get rid of your telly then? No need to pay then!

I would, but my wife and daughter keep watching stuff from Down Under! (and guess who hails from there?!!)

• RMweb Premium

Go to the pub and drink Austrailian beer while they do that - say it's good for their kharma! ;)

I didn't know the Australians made drinkable beer!

PS why can't I get any emoticons?

Keith

Really? The Speed Channel provide super coverage of Formula 1 (including complete practice sessions) with David Hobbs and Steve Matchett et al. They also provide almost complete coverage of races such as The 24 Hours of Le Mans, which the BBC have never done even when Jaguar made their big come back in the '80's.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/

Best, Pete.

I have not tried the Speed channel, but suspect like other US services the IP address is recognised and then the channel will not work for live coverage in the UK, no easy answer apart from proxy IP addresses.

Stephen..

Just checked by trying, the Speed Channel uses the Hula system to provide most services for video feeds, and are restricted to the States viewers, you cannot even subscribe.officially. Hula is also "clever" at detecting false or proxy IP addresses, they seem to alter the system for detection on a regular basis.

Stephen..

thats it, get a taste for it.

as said, some where shown on tv back in the 60s, but not the whole season. that didnt come til 1978 I think.

Happy days!

The Monza circuit is worth visiting when there's nothing racing - there's an FS class 835 0-6-0T plinthed there (never leaves the top step of its podium?)!