A diorama or two by Sandhills

Sandhills

That picture of the Peak cab end standing in front of the shed is one of the best images of a model I have ever seen. I don't quite know how you get all of the ingredients of the model, weathering, photography and suchlike so well balanced, but it's fantastic. Inspirational too, looking at your work has made me raise my expectations of what i can do :stinker:

Fuelled up the time machine and popped back to the early eighties. 44005 was just leaving Toton so I filmed it from the bank........................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVAIsT8aCY&feature=share&list=UUpUh3hUM8nYKIAaVjr8TGJA

Somebody caught the action from down on the ballast.................................

Guest jim s-w

Sorry, mis-read that ! The bodyside streaks came from this on the original photo -

Not sure they are streaks Jon. They might be the way the ripples in the body side are picking up the reflection of the peak next to it.

Hth

Jim

An invitation to have a play with and photograph the new Rail Exclusive VI Trains 47 range today. The weather put a stop to any photographic fun we could have had outside but hopefully a second visit on a sunnier day can be arranged soon.

I wont go into too much detail now but in a nutshell the sound functions, the Zimo chip complete with a power retention system which allows for seamless running and the playability with different built in running modes is without doubt what DCC Sound fans have been waiting for, its brilliant and I was hooked from the first press of F1 !

47377 in plain Railfreight Distribution was the weathered and detailed sample I got to have a play with and despite being indoors we had some fun with lighting and smoke techniques -

post-6667-0-00914300-1353781402.jpg

A bit moody but I really liked this one -

post-6667-0-50009200-1353781410.jpg

post-6667-0-97929300-1353781424.jpg

The Toton and the indoor depot scene came along to provide a backdrop -

post-6667-0-34195700-1353781414.jpg

post-6667-0-88010500-1353781431.jpg

I didnt take this one.......but I was responsible for blowing the smoke in just before the shutter clicked !!

post-6667-0-08720900-1353781437.jpg

There was also a chance to grab a shot of an EM 20 that had to be perched on top of my OO trackwork and the body of a Hornby 58 in Railfreight Red Stripe up on the jacks !

post-6667-0-77909800-1353781418.jpg

Lots more pics to follow over the next week or so........................

That picture of the Peak cab end standing in front of the shed is one of the best images of a model I have ever seen. I don't quite know how you get all of the ingredients of the model, weathering, photography and suchlike so well balanced, but it's fantastic. Inspirational too, looking at your work has made me raise my expectations of what i can do :stinker:

I agree, the rear side view of 44005 on #12 road is superb.

If anything the 3rd and 2nd from last shots have proven to me that the ViTrains 47 is the one that really captures the look of the protoype. The only (and I mean only) thing that shows it up as a model is the ride height but that can be fixed with a small amount of pin-bending. I have long pondered the question of which does it best and this has settled it for me. For that, I am very grateful. The penultimate image is simply amazing.

Thank you.

If anything the 3rd and 2nd from last shots have proven to me that the ViTrains 47 is the one that really captures the look of the protoype. The only (and I mean only) thing that shows it up as a model is the ride height but that can be fixed with a small amount of pin-bending. I have long pondered the question of which does it best and this has settled it for me. For that, I am very grateful. The penultimate image is simply amazing.

Thank you.

An interesting view that ... I just took delivery of my first ViTrains 47 yesterday... a Virgin one. On examination, I agree that it looks nice, but I'm not quite convinced about the rake of the windscreen - I compared it with my Bachmann rework (in progress). Mouldings very nice.. and the bogies are superb. That alone will save me much reworking time. The debate continues I suppose. As for the model, it was an ebay grab... and a welcome bonus given that I can't get to Warley this weekend despite having hotel and advance ticket paid for and in my pocket - health can be like that can't it! Incidentally... my new 47 is 805... "Pride of Toton"... so I suppose there's a link to the thread here.

Sorry for the brief hijack there Jon... lovely photos and your Toton is getting well used... which is great.

Any chance that you could post an overview of the board at some point ... we're getting so many close up diorama shots that I keep forgetting that this is only 2'x2'.... such great work!

Guest jim s-w

If anything the 3rd and 2nd from last shots have proven to me that the ViTrains 47 is the one that really captures the look of the protoype. The only (and I mean only) thing that shows it up as a model is the ride height but that can be fixed with a small amount of pin-bending. I have long pondered the question of which does it best and this has settled it for me. For that, I am very grateful.

Its not right though, the bodysides are not deep enough. More and more convinced (bosdyshell wise) the lima one is actually the closest (with the windscreens sorted out)

Everyone notices the vitrains one rides too high but the roof is at the right height so where do people think the difference goes? :P

Cheers

Jim

Have you stuck a ruler on both and compared them to drawings? Im a big fan of the vitrains one. I love my 47210 and when comparing to the real thing looks pretty good I think, Im not sure there is too much air between the body and bogies when you compare it with the real one. 47s always look a bit high on their bogies. Mines taken from a slightly higher angle of view mind but not overly high.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1151051183211

post-6894-0-90146000-1353790229.jpeg

post-6894-0-55224800-1353790519.jpeg

Cav

I think (sorry about this Jon), the point I was trying to make (badly?) was that the other two 47s have huge giveaways when it comes to photos of them. The Bachmann 47 got the windscreens right but fouled up the headcode boxes with oversized marker lights and the bufferbeam cowling is too deep - the only ones that I have seen on here that don't jar as a result of that is PCM's model of 47561 and RBEs model of 47284(?). This is just my opinion though (should have put that in my last post I guess).

The HJ version (overwidth blah blah blah - this doesn't show in most photos) has strange windscreens that get wider as they head towards the outer edge of the body which is the opposite of what should happen.

So, by elimination the Vi version wins! Sort of...

Jim, you have me curious now so I shall take some measurements from one of ours in the next fortnight.

Guest jim s-w

With appologies to Jon for going off topic.

I havent compared with a drawing but I did measure a real loco - I got 1815mm from cantrail to the bottom of the bodyside. This works out as 23.8mm. The lima body is 23.5 the vitrains 22.5. thats an error of 5.5% for vitrains.

I know what you mean about the Heljan windows Matt - that always stood out to me too.

Edit. a comparrison pic of lima/vitrains chassis (left) and vitrains (right) the datum being the roof.

47s-compared.jpg

I'm starting to see the rake of the windscreens thing Jon mentioned now too.

Cheers

Jim

First of all chaps, don't apologise for thread hijacking, i'd much rather this thread read through as topical and instigating debate than just me posting endless photos !

Tase - If you've ordered one of these, look forward to it arriving with great excitement, it truly is, in terms of sound, an amazing step forward in chip development and usability. LOL, the weathering, no, not my handy work, far to subtle for me ! It was the work of the owner who after hearing I would refuse to take a picture of anything straight out the box hurriedly added some grime at the 11th hour last night !! Just the bodyside treated with thinned enamels but done using a prototype image and when compared to this it looked spot on.

Jon020 - This was a pre production sample and im told only minor issues have been addressed before full production was given the green light. However, it has been re-tooled from the original version you will have picked up from Ebay (ive no doubt with your conversion/detailing skills you'll have no problem bringing the older version up to scratch), this sample having factory fitted handrails and only couplings and pipes to attach out the bag. 'Pride Of Toton' will have to be pictured on the diorama by the way, Members day next year might be a date to aim for ?

Cav - If anything, the ride height on the original looks higher than 210 pictured on Outon ! (PS - I could have done with that photo when I was doing the Carlisle Wall diorama !!) I still think your interpretation of 210 is the best ive seen, not only in terms of mirroring the look of the class but the weathering, in particular the fading of light grey into dark grey.

Jim/Raffles - I'll be totally honest here, the first and only thing that flashed across my mind the second the Vi came out the box this morning, even before id put it down on the board, was the ride height ! I don't have enough experience of the Lima version to know whether the height on this is better or just how bad the window frame configuration is, however compared to the Bachmann, which I do have some experience with, I thought the Vi was slimmer in comparison and once down on the board and viewed through the lens a much better interpretation. Having photographed Bachmann's 474 & 535 (over sized marker light & flush ends aside) I have to say, despite what the ruler may say, the Vi certainly captures the feel of a Duff far more than the Bachmann, like I say though, i've not enough knowledge of the Lima version to add any weight as to where in the pecking order this version sits. All this and we still have to consider where Heljans offering sits ! One of the largest class of engines to run on the network, at least 4 manufacturers' versions to choose from.........surely one of them has to be correct ?!

All this aside though, I was very impressed with the complete package on offer here today, a lot of thought and time going into programming the chips. 3 different running options are available, one of which gives the opportunity for shorter bursts of thrash on smaller boards without the speed of the loco getting out of hand on a short run, very handy if your into micros, boxfiles and dioramas !!

post-6667-0-66022000-1353796719.jpg

'Pride Of Toton' will have to be pictured on the diorama by the way, Members day next year might be a date to aim for ?

Jon, I'll add it to my to-do list and make sure the date's in the diary... whenever it is. :D For now, I'd better crack on with the Bachmann 47 conversion/detailing. :crazy:

Guest jim s-w

Hi Jon (edit - sandhills Jon not deltic Jon!)

Actually I agree with you, out of the box the vitrains one is probably the best (it doesnt have a stupid drive arrangement either which is good for us P4 types). I think its fair to say that none of the RTR guys have well and truly nailed a 4mm scale class 47. Perhaps we should petition Dapol Dave to have a crack at one?

Last pic looks nice, whats the stuff on the track?

Cheers

Jim

Jim, I think taking on yet another interpretation of a 47 will push Dapol Dave over the edge !!

Ah, now the stuff on the track you refer to is a very sad attempt at patches of spilt sand from filling up sandboxes. I used 2mm ballast from Carrs however in this view it doesnt work very well ! I need to crush something down to a finer consistency to what sand in 4mm would look like, maybe the very fine childrens playpit sand would be a better option ?

Guest jim s-w

Jim, I think taking on yet another interpretation of a 47 will push Dapol Dave over the edge !!

Ah, now the stuff on the track you refer to is a very sad attempt at patches of spilt sand from filling up sandboxes. I used 2mm ballast from Carrs however in this view it doesnt work very well ! I need to crush something down to a finer consistency to what sand in 4mm would look like, maybe the very fine childrens playpit sand would be a better option ?

How about a smooth blob of filler the right shape oversprayed with plasticote Suede?

HTH

Jim

Well Jon - you've done it again....

I mean how far can you take this? - can anything be done to surpass this recent thread?

Have you been lined up for a feature or shoot regards the Vi 47 - or anything organised by Andy Y for BRM?

Certainly warrants it.

Ian

Well Jon - you've done it again....

I mean how far can you take this? - can anything be done to surpass this recent thread?

Have you been lined up for a feature or shoot regards the Vi 47 - or anything organised by Andy Y for BRM?

Certainly warrants it.

Ian

Second that mate!

Tase - If you've ordered one of these, look forward to it arriving with great excitement, it truly is, in terms of sound, an amazing step forward in chip development and usability.

.......... I was very impressed with the complete package on offer here today, a lot of thought and time going into programming the chips. 3 different running options are available, one of which gives the opportunity for shorter bursts of thrash on smaller boards without the speed of the loco getting out of hand on a short run, very handy if your into micros, boxfiles and dioramas !!

post-6667-0-66022000-1353796719.jpg

Jon,

I'm pleased the sound package and controllability impressed you. I was equally imprdessed with your modelling and photographic skills.

Actually, there are 8 different running options, each available with a single CV change. This is covered in detail in the current Hornby Magazine, issue 67. There are basically 4 'driving styles' for Non-ETH equipped and 4 for ETH equipped. The concept is that everyone, whatever their own driving technique and size of layout will be able to select one which will suit them, but can be instantly changed if the loco pays a visit to other layouts and returned easily to the originally selected state.

CV Value

Sound Set Name

Ideal Use

Non-ETH Mainline

Larger layouts and high speed operation.

Non-ETH Yard

Low to moderate speeds, shunting, MPD and branch lines.

Non ETH Short Layout

Achieve Full Power sounds within restricted track lengths

Non-ETH Manual Notching

Any size or type of layout or operation. Full manual control.

ETH Mainline

ETH Yard

ETH Short Layout

ETH Manual Notching

It's very difficult to adequately describe just how different this package is from anything else which has gone before, and what an impact the radical thinking (ie,what do modellers want?) behind it's development will mean in terms of pleasure and immersivity. I think you summed it up with your earlier comment 'without doubt, what DCC Sound fans have been waiting for'.

Of course, the acid test is whether all this pursuaded you to order one. Are you prepared to comment?

Kind regards,

Paul

Jon,

I'm pleased the sound package and controllability impressed you. I was equally imprdessed with your modelling and photographic skills.

Actually, there are 8 different running options, each available with a single CV change. This is covered in detail in the current Hornby Magazine, issue 67. There are basically 4 'driving styles' for Non-ETH equipped and 4 for ETH equipped. The concept is that everyone, whatever their own driving technique and size of layout will be able to select one which will suit them, but can be instantly changed if the loco pays a visit to other layouts and returned easily to the originally selected state.

CV Value

Sound Set Name

Ideal Use

Non-ETH Mainline

Non-ETH Yard

Non ETH Short Layout

Non-ETH Manual Notching

ETH Mainline

ETH Yard

ETH Short Layout

ETH Manual Notching

It's very difficult to adequately describe just how different this package is from anything else which has gone before, and what an impact the radical thinking (ie,what do modellers want?) behind it's development will mean in terms of pleasure and immersivity. I think you summed it up with your earlier comment 'without doubt, what DCC Sound fans have been waiting for'.

Of course, the acid test is whether all this pursuaded you to order one. Are you prepared to comment?

Kind regards,

Paul

Oh dear, that CV table didn't copy at all well. And I can't get back into my post to edit it.

It should be clear that in each case I have listed the value to be entered into CV265 to select the 'style', then there is a style name (no need to attach too much importance to the actual name used, it's soley to indicate differentiation) and the scenario for which the style was created.

Paul

Paul,

Of course I'll comment......yes, I did order one......and if my lottery numbers come up in the next few weeks I'll be ordering lots more !!

I was that impressed infact, I've spent quite a bit of time since Saturday looking at pictures like this -

post-6667-0-35920400-1353941959_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-16755000-1353942006_thumb.jpg

I thought this little section of a certain South Yorkshire depot would make a suitable diorama to do them justice ?!

Archived