A diorama or two by Sandhills

Sandhills

Sorry Larry, I missed your question earlier in the thread, I'm using a Canon 500D with the standard 18-55mm lens. I put the edge of the board on quite a high table and always work kneeling down keeping my eyes and the lens of the camera at either the same level as the subject or lower. When little man gets back from school ill have to get him to take a photo of me taking a photo of the board so you can visualise the set up more.

A day off, empty house and miserable weather has resulted in me being sat at the workbench all day mainly tidying up and sorting through bit boxes and off cuts of plasticard. I have managed to weather the second coach though whilst listening to both Vaccines albums back to back on the iPod ! Get to see them later this month which im now just a tad excited about !!

Did manage to get some modelling and photography done though -

post-6667-0-39381500-1351793290.jpg

I detached the bogies on this one for the weahering process so I could obtain a better overall finish. Theres nothing worse than shiny black plastic sides showing up on photos next to nicely weathered fronts, something ive been guilty of in the past especially with the back of snowploughs !

post-6667-0-37872900-1351793005_thumb.jpg

The bulk of the bodysides and glazing have been masked off, the focus of the muck to be applied being the roof and undersides for now.

post-6667-0-10912500-1351793018_thumb.jpg

Railmatch sleeper grime added on mass to undersides.

post-6667-0-29364300-1351793029_thumb.jpg

Railmatch rail black added to roof.

post-6667-0-30640100-1351793044_thumb.jpg

After drying and removal of the masking tape the straight line of the sleeper grime left on the bodyside needs breaking up with a cotton bud dipped in thinner.

post-6667-0-20551200-1351793060_thumb.jpg

The result of this whilst being left to dry.

post-6667-0-38267000-1351793077_thumb.jpg

To get the effect of a well worn roof with the top coat flaking off I set about the black spray with a section of sponge dipped in a stronger solution of turps.

post-6667-0-23537300-1351793083.jpg

This disturbs the paint and if left to dry it will re set the paint in the pattern of the sponge. This certainly adds depth and texture and usually comes out well on film.

post-6667-0-42719500-1351793094_thumb.jpg

My weathering powder stock now consists of these 3 main colours and I find when a little of each is mixed together the resulting colour is close to a powdery version of Railmatch's Frame Dirt.

post-6667-0-49619200-1351793102.jpg

My other weathering tools remain the same, fibre glass pen, make up brushes of various sizes and stiffness of bristle, cotton buds, a bottle of thinner and turps and sponge sections.

post-6667-0-82160200-1351793106.jpg

The underside equipment and boxes received a dusting of the mixed powder and then a secondary dusting with just the black powder to tone down the vividness of the rusty tones.

post-6667-0-17267900-1351793216_thumb.jpg

The alcoves beneath each door were brushed heavily with the red oxide powder and then a few drops of thinner injected into the area to spread and thin the colour.

post-6667-0-89905300-1351793218.jpg

A fibre pen was used to wear patches of the white bodyside through to the blue and the first class stickers were worn using the pen.

post-6667-0-10839600-1351793226_thumb.jpg

The complete coach was dusted with black powder and then using a large brush soaked in thinner the powder was dissolved into the coach sides and helped into all the window recessess and various gaps and grooves in the bodyside.

post-6667-0-81714000-1351793234_thumb.jpg

I picked out the TDM cable ends with orange paint applied with a cocktail stick although an after thought showed I should have also picked out the door step sides with some worn white paint.

post-6667-0-07629400-1351793240_thumb.jpg

The glazing hasnt suffered from contact with the thinner. A dry cotton bud was used to polish them up and remove any sheen left.

post-6667-0-05932700-1351793250_thumb.jpg

Sealed with a light spray of matt varnish just to keep the powder where its been put.

post-6667-0-54889200-1351793254.jpg

The finished coach displayed on the works board, albeit minus the roof !

post-6667-0-70282700-1351793257.jpg

The weather improved by 4pm so with the aid of the table lamp is was able to grab a few shots of both coaches on site inside the C&W shed.

The murky pit and jacks at work shown here.

post-6667-0-33086300-1351793261.jpg

The finished image of a busy scene.

post-6667-0-07542000-1351793266_thumb.jpg

Whether the inclusion of Bachmann depot staff is a further touch of realism or a step too far im undecided on. This figure was the only contribution my 'little monkey' made to the days modelling when he arrived home from school. Kids, who'd have 'em !!

post-6667-0-22106600-1351793284.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Another masterclass in simple and inexpensive weathering technique. This is the best breakdown on weathering I've ever seen and has definitely given me the confidence to have a go. Goes to prove that all the current books and vids are way over complicated - their 'making a meal out of it' approach has always put me off. Thank you for sharing, but you really ought to consider writing an article and submitting it to one of the magazines - even have a think about writing a book on the subject of micro layout construction and stock weathering. Very, very talented.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Larry, the track work is the C&L ready made stuff. I've never tried SMP, would you regard that as a further improvement on the C&L product ?

Alex, 56 & 44 first but yes, a grubby BR Blue 31 should certainly go on the list as a future project. I've many happy memories as a teen on combined Heart of England and East of England rovers, spending summer holidays racking up mileage on the 4's........something I shall look forward to JSW recreating on P4NS.

It's funny you should say that vac_basher, it was your picture of the 47 in the shed that spurred me on and inspired me to get back on with the modelling and RMweb !

post-6667-0-34381100-1351755563.jpg

I had my own little play around with this shot and kept it on my phone for a few days after you had posted it. After constantly looking at it the draw to do some modelling became too strong and a week or so later the Bachmann Depot mini project was born as a stop gap until I could afford to start on the loco collection again. Loved this when I saw it and I thought the loco had a real sense of presence in the depot and the angle you had taken the shot at was spot on.

Keep up the good work fella........and thanks for the inspiration ;-)

Thanks for the kind words Jon.

I like what you've done to the contrast in that photo. It's a nice effect, but maybe a bit too much as it's taken away the underframe detail.

I say, this is funny: you're actually inspiring me yet I'm inspiring you. So exactly who is inspiring who?! :D

The Mk2's looking great by the way!!

Larry, the track work is the C&L ready made stuff. I've never tried SMP, would you regard that as a further improvement on the C&L product ?

Thanks. C&L does look to have the edge over SMP with its chunkier and more detailed chairs. I wished I had bought both types to compare before the recent 'remodelling' on the layout, but I fear another track replacement weekend will prompt a visit from the men in white coats....... :pardon:

Time for some research this morning into the Toton 56/44 photo I hope to recreate in the coming weeks.

post-6667-0-67810000-1352109947.jpg post-6667-0-52668700-1352112263.jpg

What can I take from the original photo then -

1. The Peak is in actual fact, 004, Great Gable, withdrawn at this point and its path into preservation not yet secured. The centre top marker light has been robbed (will I dare to drill this out my model at one end at least ?), pipe work is all in place and nothing I cant recreate using bits from Shawplan, discs come as part of the bits kit from Bachmann, the bogies can receive a heavy weathering using tones of black and brown powder. The bodysides and roof receiving weathered black spray and the yellow nose end done using the technique of black washes until the muck has picked out the body panel lines.

2. The Grid is pretty standard to the Hornby model version but will require renumbering to 56056. The headlight can be painted with the black surround however im still baffled by the lack of pipes. Nowadays the 56s have white control air x2, yellow res x 2 and red brake x 1. 056 in the original picture doesnt look like it has 5 pipes so they are either well hidden on the picture or the pipe configuration during the early days was different ? More research required on that I think ! Again, the grid can receive a good weathering on the bogies, a layer of traffic film along the lower part of the bodyside and black streaks from the rad roof panel corners.

3. The photo was obviously taken pre extension to the right hand side of the depot front. From aerial views nowadays the end 3 roads go into a higher and wider part of the depot that sticks out further. Im not sure when this was added but in the early 80's the depot frontage was all level. I think ive identified the correct roads, which doors they lead to and where the locos were stabled.

post-6667-0-54846200-1352110860.jpg

From this photo I think my 44 is parked roughly where the small yellow warning panel Peak is parked and the 56 in my picture is where the 47 is in the B&W shot. The tiny part of the second 56 that can be seen in the original photo looks to be parked on the first road that goes into the lower roof part of the depot, a vacant road in the B&W shot above. Despite these roads looking straight from aerial views I believe there is a slight curve to the 2 roads I will be modelling but I shall have to be careful not to over do this bend as I dont want it to become too apparant with the model bogies sitting at an angle to the model bodysides.

4. The trackbed in the original is an interesting mix of gravel, ballast, oil and sand ! I may look at using a base layer of wet n dry paper over the baseboard and build up layers of ash and fine ballast before adding the correct colours using spraypaint.

5. Materials for the depot frontage can all be sourced from Evergreen & Wills Plasticard and the chevron shutter doors recreated by careful masking and hand painting in yellow and black.

6. Even though it cant be seen in the original I shall put in the concrete hard standing by using the pourable tile grout method. Its worth doing as it can feature in other photos I use the board for and if I get the angle correct on the recreation photo of the 56/44 then it wont be seen.

post-6667-0-57982600-1352111791.jpg

A few thoughts then, but until I get the baseboard from my woodworking friend and I can sit down and sketch everything out with a pencil on the wood, all I can do for now is put together a shopping list of materials and paint.

Your observations, knowledge on class 56 pipe configurations (!!) and general thoughts would be most welcome as would any further images that throw some light on the ground cover in this area of the shed.......................................

Your observations, knowledge on class 56 pipe configurations (!!) and general thoughts would be most welcome as would any further images that throw some light on the ground cover in this area of the shed.......................................

Fine work as ever Jon

You have already started thinking about this project,

and made some useful observations

Re class 56 pipe configurations

I find a good starting point is Ian Allens "Stock recognition: Locomotives"

book invaluable......

The newer version of this book is good,

but one of the older, smaller editions can be picked up quite cheaply, secondhand

and contains information on variants

I don't have mine to hand, so I can't immediately reference it,

but as I say, they are useful books

Combine that with a look at several photos,

I'd say that was a good start.....

Looking forward to seing this progress,

oh, and by the way, as someone has already said,

I'm sure the magazines would be keen on an article about your weathering techniques......

Cheers again, and keep modelling :)

Marc

A little trip upstairs into my sons bedroom has solved the class 56 pipe question ! I'm glad to say when I looked under his bed the only publication I found was this -

post-6667-0-78476300-1352119666_thumb.jpg

It appears the class 56 has always had 5 pipes across the front, the only difference being the cocks on the white control air pipes being of different styles and sizes.

post-6667-0-98557400-1352119941_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-84787400-1352120025_thumb.jpg

I would think the retaining chains and dummy brackets were present on most examples so I can only imagine that all the pipes are indeed present on 56056 in the original photo but are folded round on the brackets and out of sight. I shall do my best to tease round a couple of the white metal pipes I add and model the 3 visible pipes in the position they are shown.

post-6667-0-51984500-1352120247_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

You are quite correct the 56 is on road 13 and the 44 on road 14. Roads 13 to 15 are for heavy maintenance where the floor is strengthened to allow for lifting jacks and also where the 4 Tonne overhead cranes span. This part of the shed was built like that with the roof higher than the rest of the shed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the confirmation Alex, slightly embarrassing that I didnt know that considering I had all parts of Toton signed for on my route card for 10 years ! Have you ever come across any info on measurements in terms of building height and door opening sizes during your Boxenby build ? Im sitting down tonight with card, paper and a borrowed Heljan 58 to try and work out some proportions before I take to the plasticard with a Stanley knife !

TimC - What a great find ! Thanks, I missed that one on the searches I conducted today. It does pose some questions though ? Do we think its the same set up at the same time as my image but from the other end ? If so, what on earth are the 2 sets of points infromt of the locos ? Maybe its just a coincidence and its the same loco combination but in a different part of the yard ? Your right though, im glad its not the other end im modelling on 004, drilling out a marker light I can justify but a thumping great dent wouldnt be easy to replicate.

I dont know whats worse,

You daring me in the first place.............

........or me spending the last 10 minutes checking the Bachmann website to see if the nose is part of the body mould or detachable like the 37 !!

Its moulded by the looks of it so i'll pass.......and double dare you back ! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

TimC - ..... Do we think its the same set up at the same time as my image but from the other end ? If so, what on earth are the 2 sets of points infromt of the locos ? Maybe its just a coincidence and its the same loco combination but in a different part of the yard ? ......

I don't think this is the same location. Your original shot is definitely in front of the shed buildings the link I posted is elsewhere though my knowledge of Toton is not good so I'm sure as to where it is exactly. Perhaps someone else will know.

Hi Tim/Jon,

Looking at the photo you posted 44004 at Toton it was taken out the front of the shed but not as close to the shed as Jon’s photo. You can see the A52 bridge in the background.

If you look at the previous photo 25254 & 44004 Toton you can see some 25s stabled along side.

From a photo taken in Feb 1988 you can see 37501, 37502 and 56103 are stabled in the exact same place as the 25s Toton5s.jpg you can also see the point which 44004 is in front of.

Here is another shot showing where the locos were stabled

Toton2s.jpg

Toton4s.jpg

Hope that helps.

Archived