Help GWR locos

Hi guys,

A little while ago, (ie, anything up to 9 months ago!) I was looking at ' gwr.org ' and was impressed with the 'might have been' locos'.

A short while after I saw an article on combining a 'King' and a 'Princess Royal' to create a GWR Cathedral. I am sure I showed it to

my mate Ted, and he is sure he remembers it as well. Trouble is neither of can find the b****y thing, despite trawling

through 6 months of RM, BRM, MR & HM! Can anybody else recall this article or are we going senile!

Thanks Jeff

Guest dilbert

There was an interesting article in the July 1994 issue of RM. This was also about a Cathedral class loco (8029 Truro Cathedral) but was of a 4-8-0 wheel configuration - this 80xx class was "to give a better route availability than that of the Kings" - and this based on using standard GW loco components... dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

A little while ago, (ie, anything up to 9 months ago!) I was looking at ' gwr.org ' and was impressed with the 'might have been' locos'.

A short while after I saw an article on combining a 'King' and a 'Princess Royal' to create a GWR Cathedral. I am sure I showed it to

my mate Ted, and he is sure he remembers it as well. Trouble is neither of can find the b****y thing, despite trawling

through 6 months of RM, BRM, MR & HM! Can anybody else recall this article or are we going senile!

Thanks Jeff

I don't know the reference you're looking for, but its been done before.

8003 Bohemoth Model Railway Constructor 1976 December.

Hawksworth 4-6-2 Railway Modeller 1997 June.

Perhaps you should concentrate your searches to April editions?

:rolleyes:

Kevin Martin

Thanks for your replies,

I have tried searching the mag websites but most of them don't let you, all you can do is subscribe!

I will check out the issues suggested, if I can find them.

Thanks again, Jeff

By coincidence, while clearing up <_<, I found an old Great Western Echo (Autumn 1997) with an article, the surviving drawing and model photos. This is the model described in June1997 RM and bears the number '9000' and name 'FW Hawksworth' (very appropriate! :yes: )

The model has A 'King' front bogie, but the drawing shows inside bearings to both axles (but then it also shows inside bearings on the pony. The drivers are also revised to 6' 6" diameter.

Archived